PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 01:53 PM
ive got the jeepcommander.com decals on the quarter glasses

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/0111-3.jpg

Hey Niel, i see your "Springfield Armory" sticker. Is that what you carry?

NeilSmith
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
yeah. XD .45. its a little large, 4" barrel with 13 rnd magazine . im a little guy and i carry it in a crossbreed iwb holster and can conceal it pretty good. you really cant see it but its a little heavy especially with shorts. was thinking about a mini 1911 like a colt defender. i gotta have a .45. the only thing about the mini 1911 is it has half the round capacity as my XD.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 04:45 PM
yeah. XD .45. its a little large, 4" barrel with 13 rnd magazine . im a little guy and i carry it in a crossbreed iwb holster and can conceal it pretty good. you really cant see it but its a little heavy especially with shorts. was thinking about a mini 1911 like a colt defender. i gotta have a .45. the only thing about the mini 1911 is it has half the round capacity as my XD.

You can always carry a second clip. I like the XDs, but a littl pricey for me. I will be getting a G26 for carry because of its "easyness" and reliability. I hope to have a few different calibers by the end of the year.

NeilSmith
06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
i bought it new 4 years ago or so , comes with 2 - 13 rounders for $505.00 thats not pricey i dont believe.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 05:11 PM
i bought it new 4 years ago or so , comes with 2 - 13 rounders for $505.00 thats not pricey i dont believe.

Not at all but i think they go for 8 or 900 today. I want something in that 500 range. I might even buy used if the source is known to keep a gun clean

Maybe we should take this to a different thread to keep this one on track?

hoaxci5
06-12-2011, 06:54 PM
They are all over cheaperthandirt.com for $500ish..

Springfield XD9 service model was my first pistol, I enjoy shooting it. I have a crossbreed holster for it, but ended up picking up a ruger LCP because I didn't feel like I could conceal the XD without printing. Unfortunately now that I'm back in CA, no carrying..

cico7
06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I go to the Ohio gun collectors show, they have makes it a bit more affordable .
I think the stuff is cheaper without serial numbers.

LWM
06-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Maybe we should take this to a different thread to keep this one on track?

I made this it's own thread in the proper section.

NeilSmith
06-12-2011, 07:48 PM
you can get em all day for $500ish new at a shop and in the low $400s used. i got mine at a show in Richmond.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 07:53 PM
They are all over cheaperthandirt.com for $500ish..

Springfield XD9 service model was my first pistol, I enjoy shooting it. I have a crossbreed holster for it, but ended up picking up a ruger LCP because I didn't feel like I could conceal the XD without printing. Unfortunately now that I'm back in CA, no carrying..

I will have to check that site out, thanks. Im glad i am in a state that allows CCWs.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 07:56 PM
I go to the Ohio gun collectors show, they have makes it a bit more affordable .
I think the stuff is cheaper without serial numbers.

Yeah we have a ton of those special non serial # weapons around here. No way do i want one of those, who knows what those have been involved in.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I made this it's own thread in the proper section.

Thank you sir for your services.

hoaxci5
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
I will have to check that site out, thanks. Im glad i am in a state that allows CCWs.

Yea hopefully next June/July we will be out of this nanny state. I have a love hate relationship with CA. But gun control issues trump a lot of the love here.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 07:59 PM
you can get em all day for $500ish new at a shop and in the low $400s used. i got mine at a show in Richmond.

I must be looking in the wrong shops, cause i swear i have not seen a new one for less than seven bills.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Yea hopefully next June/July we will be out of this nanny state. I have a love hate relationship with CA. But gun control issues trump a lot of the love here.

I have never been to cali, honestly i will not regret it if i never do. But, if i do go it'll be to either san fran or north cali.

IamJEEP
06-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Im stuck in my choice between a .40 & .45 cal. Do either one of those have a better accuracy than the other?

hoaxci5
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
If you love the outdoors CA is great.
If you love guns CA sucks.

I love the outdoors more than guns, but guns is next on the list, so CA isn't my first choice. I would say of all the places I've lived and visited though that CA is pretty high on the outdoors list.

I can't speak from true experience, but I'd imagine .40 vs .45 as far is accuracy isn't much of a difference given the shooter is capable. And if you are talking personal protection it's even less of an issue since most personal protection issues are at ranges less than 20 feet (from what I've heard..) Thankfully I don't know that for a fact.

cico7
06-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah we have a ton of those special non serial # weapons around here. No way do i want one of those, who knows what those have been involved in.
My comment about no serial numbers was in jest. You can't get a gun like that at the shows
Well I suppose you could get one, but that wasn't the point. I say this as someone opted to delete my comment.
I am with Caleb, I don't want something that could get me into more hot water....
But the gun shows do offer some lower prices.

cico7
06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Im stuck in my choice between a .40 & .45 cal. Do either one of those have a better accuracy than the other?

Based on hoaxci5's comment and my limited experience, consider cost and availability of ammo when making that decision.

HueyPilotVN
06-12-2011, 09:57 PM
My comment about no serial numbers was in jest. You can't get a gun like that at the shows
Well I suppose you could get one, but that wasn't the point. I say this as someone opted to delete my comment.
I am with Caleb, I don't want something that could get me into more hot water....

Don,

Are you getting into trouble again. Guess I will have to go back to calling you Psycho again. I think sometimes your sense of humor is just a little too subtle for the Internet......lol

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 03:44 AM

I knew what you meant Don, but unfortunately we do have a ton of said weapons in my county. We have a bunch of idiots here that think they are mobbsters or something. This is my main reason for carrying, too many threats not to be ignored. I don't plan on getting into a shooting battle with anyone, I would rather walk (or run, lol) away from an accurance. But when it comes to protecting my family or friends, I will be ready.

Based on hoaxci5's comment and my limited experience, consider cost and availability of ammo when making that decision.

I realize that the ammo will be more expensive, but I see it as ..... nothing is more expensive than my or my family's life. If I want to worry about price, then I'll just get a .22 to go to the range with and blast away. ;)

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 03:51 AM
If you love the outdoors CA is great.
If you love guns CA sucks.

I love the outdoors more than guns, but guns is next on the list, so CA isn't my first choice. I would say of all the places I've lived and visited though that CA is pretty high on the outdoors list.

I can't speak from true experience, but I'd imagine .40 vs .45 as far is accuracy isn't much of a difference given the shooter is capable. And if you are talking personal protection it's even less of an issue since most personal protection issues are at ranges less than 20 feet (from what I've heard..) Thankfully I don't know that for a fact.

This is what I'm refering to and I as well do not have personal experience with this situation, thankfully. Just want to be prepared for it if I am.

cico7
06-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Has anyone ordered from cheaper than dirt? A firearm that is, I see you need to have it shipped to a FFA dealer.
Would another dealer want to accommodate you? Or charge a fee that would negate your savings?

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
I looked/shopped around online last night and DID find the XD .40 and .45 at around $500. I must of been looking in the wrong area or something. I also have been looking at just about every make/model out there so maybe I got my $$$ mixed up with a different brand. So far the XD anf the Glock are on my top list. Do you guys have any other suggestion in my $500 price range I should consider?

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 03:56 AM
Has anyone ordered from cheaper than dirt? A firearm that is, I see you need to have it shipped to a FFA dealer.
Would another dealer want to accommodate you? Or charge a fee that would negate your savings?

I have not even heard of that site before this thread. LOL...

cico7
06-13-2011, 04:10 AM
I realize that the ammo will be more expensive, but I see it as ..... nothing is more expensive than my or my family's life. If I want to worry about price, then I'll just get a .22 to go to the range with and blast away. ;)

You stated you were debating between .40 and .45. I noticed some ammo is more easily available than others.
My suggestion was that you make that part of your decision. Should you decide to go to a .22, then my reference is irrelevant.

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Sorry, i mis-read your comment, thanks for tje input. Im just wondering which caliber would be better for a ccw. I know it also depends on the person using it and pra tice woth your weapon. I guess my question is....who prefers what caliber and why?

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 04:55 AM
^^^^^Im having a Don Issue today with big thumbs and small phone keys, LOL.

Sal-XK
06-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Let me see if I can shed some light on your thoughts here Caleb. You're basically looking for personal protection which as stated would put you with in 20' or so. Now ammo has little effect on accuracy at that range or I should say no effect at that range. When you start stepping out to 100+ meters then ammo is a concern but not with a hang gun obviously. The biggest factor in accuracy is the shooter of the weapon the second would be make model design quality of the firearm. Now at 20' or less I would say you probably can't shoot well enough to take advantage of a very expensive weapon. For personal defense stopping power needs to be a concern with reliability. You need to be able to get 3-4 shots of quickly and with general accuracy. For outstanding accuracy just get a revolver with a 6" barrel and blow the semiautomatics out of the water. Of course revolvers aren't cool there just effective so you'll probably go semiautomatic so I would look for reliability and capacity and stopping power. At close range big bullets moving slowly put people down with one shot not the smaller ones with some ridiculous FPS rating that burns threw people so they don't even feel it, trust me on this ones the delay from getting shot by these types of rounds and going down is long enough to have someone throw some rounds back at you. So pretty much it doesn't matter get a cheap one that holds big bullets and you'll be fine. Ruger makes good cheap reliable weapons there not flashy they just get the job done.

LWM
06-13-2011, 05:48 AM
My suggestion on a CCW weapon is smaller is better. Find a weapon that you are comfortable with that is EASY to conceal and that you will not mind carrying EVERYWHERE with you. If the weapon is too big you will pick and choose when to carry and then you might as well leave it at home because the bad guy will strike the time you deceide not to carry anyway.

Also pick a weapon that you can manipulate without much thought, I love the Glock for that reason. You point the weapon and pull the trigger, you do not need to mess with the safety as it is built into the trigger.

Tymac
06-13-2011, 07:20 AM

Personally I prefer the 10mm over the .40, but the .45 is my favorite.

For Christmas I bought my wife a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact, not mini compact in 9mm. She received her CCW in November.

I see the XD's in .45 at every show I go to and they're all priced between $450-$600 depending if they were new or used. I'm kinda old school, but I still carry my dad's Browning Hi-Power.

hoaxci5
06-13-2011, 07:25 AM
When we were shopping for our first pistol (my wife enjoys shooting too) we went to the range and rented.. Turned out we both liked the feel of the XD best of the couple choices we had. So we rented one and shot for the day and left with a new one. I'd recommend doing the same if possible. Renting is usually only about $10 per pistol, and then you will know for sure if you like the way it handles or not. I personally feel that a service size pistol (in my case xd9 with 4" barrel) is too large to comfortably conceal. Can I do it? Sure, but not with my typical shorts and t-shirt attire. Just another thing to keep in mind.

Tymac
06-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Great suggestion. When purchasing a weapon, holster or accesories always wear the clothes you'd typically have on when you plan to carry. It's make for a better purchase.

7 months of the year I'm in shorts and tshirt the rest of the time is a fleece pull over and jeans.

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 07:30 AM
So i can get away with a ccw in sub-compact or compact in .45?

I plan on eventually getting a full size for home defence and a shotgun as well. I will probably also get a .22 for the range and sport shooting.

Trying to gather as much info as possible before i do anything. I am also researching some classes that my girl can take with me and also the ccw classes.

Feel free to school me more on this subject, i appritiate everyones input and assistance.

Sal-XK
06-13-2011, 08:07 AM
I would go compact comfort is important. I don't know how many times I got sick of having a Beretta strapped to my leg wishing I could just throw it away LOL I hated carrying it and took it off when ever the opportunity arose. But then again carrying it 24\7 for 15 months could of been the problem. LOL

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 08:19 AM
I would go compact comfort is important. I don't know how many times I got sick of having a Beretta strapped to my leg wishing I could just throw it away LOL I hated carrying it and took it off when ever the opportunity arose. But then again carrying it 24\7 for 15 months could of been the problem. LOL

Yes, comfort is important to me as others have said, i will be in summer clothes all year round.

I like the glock because of it's trigger safety and ease of use. The XD also has the same thing now i believe and is a reloliable model.

What else should i consider(brands)? I have small hands so gotta keep tjat in mind.

I will be hitting the local ranges and renting different models to see what i feel is comfortable for me and the old lady, as others have recomended.

Sal-XK
06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
That's all you have to do is hit the range find what you're comfortable with. I would guess any brand model will fit your needs and skill level. It's protection not a shooting competition shooting so keep that in mind. If it can get threw one clip without jamming up I think it will get the job done.

Tymac
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Get down to a gun store and start picking up models. You really need to find something that fits well. Especially considering you said you have small hands. My wife has small hands and the compact Storm is a bit thick in the grip for good control. She handles it well, but a bit narrower would help. I changed the back strap and it helped a bit but still not great.

Sub compacts basically are just shorter in the grip. Meaning they hold a few rounds less.

I like watching the reviews of guns on youtube. Some are good, but most are just for entertainment.

I signed up for gunbroker.com and found they have very good information.

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
That's all you have to do is hit the range find what you're comfortable with. I would guess any brand model will fit your needs and skill level. It's protection not a shooting competition shooting so keep that in mind. If it can get threw one clip without jamming up I think it will get the job done.

Gotcha, grassy ass.

I also would like a bolt action, but thats a whole other thread. LOL.....

Tymac
06-13-2011, 08:35 AM
If it can get threw one clip without jamming up I think it will get the job done.

That's the way it was when I first got into pistols. Now I like my guns to hot cycle a couple hundred rounds without issues. You know, just in case I have a small invasion in my city.

I have a few really nice bolts we bought in the 70's. Depends on what you like and if you plan to reload your own brass. Just for fun I really like my Ruger 10-77 (bolt .22) and my 10-22 (semi .22). 2 years ago I bought a Ruger .204 in stainless and synthetic stock. Fun to shoot woodies at 250 yds.

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Get down to a gun store and start picking up models. You really need to find something that fits well. Especially considering you said you have small hands. My wife has small hands and the compact Storm is a bit thick in the grip for good control. She handles it well, but a bit narrower would help. I changed the back strap and it helped a bit but still not great.

Sub compacts basically are just shorter in the grip. Meaning they hold a few rounds less.

I like watching the reviews of guns on youtube. Some are good, but most are just for entertainment.

I signed up for gunbroker.com and found they have very good information.

I have been looking at some youtube reviews of a couple of models. You have to look through a couple vids before you hit a professionals review tho, lol...

I'll check out gunbroker.com when I get home to see what its about.

That's the way it was when I first got into pistols. Now I like my guns to hot cycle a couple hundred rounds without issues. You know, just in case I have a small invasion in my city.
I have a few really nice bolts we bought in the 70's. Depends on what you like and if you plan to reload your own brass. Just for fun I really like my Ruger 10-77 (bolt .22) and my 10-22 (semi .22). 2 years ago I bought a Ruger .204 in stainless and synthetic stock. Fun to shoot woodies at 250 yds.

You expecting zombies? LOL......

I don't want to start thinking about the bolt actions just yet, I need to start with the ccw. LOL, my girl thinks I'm nuts........I'll start researching one thing and then it turns into researching three or four things at a time.

cico7
06-13-2011, 10:21 AM
What else should i consider(brands)? I have small hands so gotta keep tjat in mind.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/preview_320_260_1-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/pocket380-1.jpg

LWM
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/preview_320_260_1-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/pocket380-1.jpg

Some of our Officers carry the KelTec as a back up to their back up or for a CCW on their time off. It is not very reliable but good to have when all else fails.

hoaxci5
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I've got a Ruger LCP (.380) which has only jammed once when my wife was shooting it the first time because she didn't hold it firmly enough so the kick took her off guard and the empty casing jammed instead of clearing. Not a big deal it was user error more than weapon error. Hasn't happened ever again..

It looks a lot like the one above, I think they were built off the same design but I can't tell the diff between the kal-tec and ruger.

pjmjr508
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I like gunbroker.com I have used it for a few of mine. The prices are great and so far all of who I have delt with is on the up & up. about sending to an ffl when you buy a firearm online; so far from what I have seen is that the pawnshops in the area will have you send to them for a fee. maybe 20 a gun & they will handle the pw with thr goverment.

Now I cycle thru some of my hand guns for what I will carry; it will depending on what I am wearing mostly.
The ones I cycle thru more often are the

Springfield 1911 GI Champ Mil Spec 4" 8 Round Clip
Springfield XD45 45 ACP Also a 4" 13 Round Clip
Heckler & Koch UPS 40 5" (Full Size) 13 Round Clip

The 1911 is the easiest to conceal, the HK feels to be the most accurate @ 25 yards for me at least, and the XD 45 feels really good to me. I do have big hands so needing closer to full size ones for me.

I did what alot of people are saying on in here to do. Go to a gun store (Do Not Make You Buy Anything Yet, they are there to see) hold quite a few of them and note which ones felt good in your hand. Then from there go to the rang and rent them. The rang I went to was really cool on giving me info on the differences on what to expect with the different brands. From there you will be pretty good.

Just keep in mind you will not stop with just one lol

this was from a outing to the rang from last year with my brother
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.63266328538.69965.796543538#!/photo.php?fbid=257821008538&set=a.63266328538.69965.796543538&type=1&theater

pjmjr508
06-13-2011, 10:54 AM
also my girl has really small hands and her carry is the Makarov. The size is a 9x18 close to a .380 & she likes it.

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 11:26 AM
My buddy has the keltec .380 as his backup. He doesnt care too much for it but says it serves its purpose.

I just read a review if the XD Compact .45 and now leaning towards this pistol. Its in my price range, has thinner grips than the G30, has a chamber indicator as well as a piston indicator, and also has the trigger safety and the grip safety. This way i dont shoot myself in the arse when concealing it. Lol....

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
I like gunbroker.com I have used it for a few of mine. The prices are great and so far all of who I have delt with is on the up & up. about sending to an ffl when you buy a firearm online; so far from what I have seen is that the pawnshops in the area will have you send to them for a fee. maybe 20 a gun & they will handle the pw with thr goverment.

Now I cycle thru some of my hand guns for what I will carry; it will depending on what I am wearing mostly.
The ones I cycle thru more often are the

Springfield 1911 GI Champ Mil Spec 4" 8 Round Clip
Springfield XD45 45 ACP Also a 4" 13 Round Clip
Heckler & Koch UPS 40 5" (Full Size) 13 Round Clip

The 1911 is the easiest to conceal, the HK feels to be the most accurate @ 25 yards for me at least, and the XD 45 feels really good to me. I do have big hands so needing closer to full size ones for me.

I did what alot of people are saying on in here to do. Go to a gun store (Do Not Make You Buy Anything Yet, they are there to see) hold quite a few of them and note which ones felt good in your hand. Then from there go to the rang and rent them. The rang I went to was really cool on giving me info on the differences on what to expect with the different brands. From there you will be pretty good.

Just keep in mind you will not stop with just one lol

this was from a outing to the rang from last year with my brother
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.63266328538.69965.796543538#!/photo.php?fbid=257821008538&set=a.63266328538.69965.796543538&type=1&theater
Thanks for the input and nice collection you have there. I know that i will go on a shopping spree for multiple pistols and other weapons, thats what my girl is affraid of. Lol...

Tymac
06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Here is my take on my collection as far as security goes. I stand a greater chance of being over taken by a perp if I have to go to another room of my house for my weapon. With that reasoning I now have a 32 room home. What you think I'm gonna sell a gun?

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Here is my take on my collection as far as security goes. I stand a greater chance of being over taken by a perp if I have to go to another room of my house for my weapon. With that reasoning I now have a 32 room home. What you think I'm gonna sell a gun?

If you have 32 rooms then you need more guns!

cico7
06-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Have 1. Only 1. I do have 2 clips though...
https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Barrel length: 4.5"
Overall length: 7.75"
Weight: 35 oz.
Frame: High-impact polymer
Finish: Black powder coat with polished sides
Capacity: 9-shot magazine
Sights: 3-dots, fully-adjustable rear sight

NeilSmith
06-13-2011, 02:14 PM
the grips on the XD are smaller and angled better than the Glocks, IMO. i also like the grip safety as the 1911 types have. you can get an XDM that also has a thumb safety. i feel my XD to be very safe and I carry it in Condition 1 at all times.

IamJEEP
06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I found the XD Compact .45 for around 5 or 6 beans. I'm having my cousin look into getting me a discount at the cop shop. He quoted me the G19 for $435 out the door, not too shabby. So, hopefully he can do the same for the XD (fingers crossed).

pjmjr508
06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
wish you luck. I got mine for 545 5 years ago

IamJEEP
06-14-2011, 04:33 AM
wish you luck. I got mine for 545 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted.

Chapman89
06-14-2011, 07:41 AM
I picked up my Glock 23 (.40 cal) for $500 out the door last year. The asking price was $520 plus tax but cash makes things a lot easier! haha

Neil made a good point about the grips. You really want to spend some time handling the gun you plan to carry/shoot. The grips on Glocks for instance are pretty fat and angled different than most pistols. Also find a gun that you can shoot well and accurately. There's no sense in carrying a .45 because its the biggest bullet if you cannot hit a non moving target.

I chose my Glock because its simplicity, either carry it with one in the chamber or don't. If you don't, rack the slide and pull the trigger. Done.

After you do purchase your gun hit the shooting range up at least once a month. I try to go once a week, I shoot about 100-150 rounds and cycle through all of my magazines to make sure they a working properly.

IamJEEP
06-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I picked up my Glock 23 (.40 cal) for $500 out the door last year. The asking price was $520 plus tax but cash makes things a lot easier! haha

Neil made a good point about the grips. You really want to spend some time handling the gun you plan to carry/shoot. The grips on Glocks for instance are pretty fat and angled different than most pistols. Also find a gun that you can shoot well and accurately. There's no sense in carrying a .45 because its the biggest bullet if you cannot hit a non moving target.

Very true...

I just got off the phone with an old buddy that i had no idea was into weapons. This guy has a room dedicated to his collection with 6 safes packed full. We made a date the next time (with-in a couple of weeks) he goes out to the range, he will call me and let me shoot whatever he has. Lets just say he has approximately 25 differend hand guns plus rifles and a couple autos. He has anywhere from a .380 to a .50 cal Eagle. <-------Word! Lol......

pjmjr508
06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
now that will work. enjoy yourself.

cico7
06-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Very true...

I just got off the phone with an old buddy that i had no idea was into weapons. This guy has a room dedicated to his collection with 6 safes packed full. We made a date the next time (with-in a couple of weeks) he goes out to the range, he will call me and let me shoot whatever he has. Lets just say he has approximately 25 differend hand guns plus rifles and a couple autos. He has anywhere from a .380 to a .50 cal Eagle. <-------Word! Lol......
So how many rooms would that be? (refering back to the room count)

IamJEEP
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
So how many rooms would that be? (refering back to the room count)

A mansion of at least 30 rooms! LOL......

Tymac
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
A mansion of at least 30 rooms! LOL......

He must live by me then.

Tymac
06-16-2011, 10:46 AM
I ran into a buddy that just got into the private sector security. He said this place had terrific instructors. It was part of his new employers training policy. He recommends it for private citizens.

http://www.tdiohio.com/home.html

IamJEEP
07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
So, after further researching and asking around and finding some good firearms forums I've come to narrowing down my purchase. The XD 9 or .40 is my first choice, with the M&P being a really close second. If I get the .40, I can get a conversion kit for it to shoot 9mm at the range and save me some $$$ on ammo. The only thing leaning me away from the XD is the grip safety. I've read on forums that if not properly gripped, it will not shoot. How is this a good thing when time is a variable? I know practice is key, but in a real life or death scenerio you don't have time to think about the grip safety. Is it possible to disengage this safety?

Correct my thinking if I'm wrong here................

hoaxci5
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I've never had a fail to fire because of the grip safety. This includes shooting correctly or one handed. I think the grip safety is far less of a concern than a typical switch safety. You can easily forget to disengage a switch style safety, it's pretty hard to forget to hold the pistol. While you may not hold it the same in an emergency situation as you would when shooting at the range, it's still pretty hard I think to not hold it well enough to disengage the grip safety.

pjmjr508
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree with hoaxci5. I have the XD 45 and never had an issue with it not firing because of the safety. To be completely honest it has never failed to fire for me at all, never had an issue with it. IMO this is one of the best safeties setup I have seen. I am not a gun smith, just my 2 cents worth

cico7
07-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I fired an Argintinian made 1911 Colt 45 with the grip safety and my hand was bitten when i was done.
The safety was hard to keep compressed. This had an overhead ejection port and the casings flipped over my head causing me to duck!!

IamJEEP
07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree with hoaxci5. I have the XD 45 and never had an issue with it not firing because of the safety. To be completely honest it has never failed to fire for me at all, never had an issue with it. IMO this is one of the best safeties setup I have seen. I am not a gun smith, just my 2 cents worth

Does the safety have to be fully depressed for the weapon to fire?

I know these are great pistols, thats why it is my #1 right now.

NeilSmith
07-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Same here Caleb. I've never had a malfunction of any kind with my XD.45. The grip safety has to be disengaged but it takes very little pressure to do so. Just simply holding it in your hand is enough. Now I carry mine " condition 1 " which is cocked and locked, round in the chamber, ready to go. Some people don't like doing this, I understand. On the XD, in order to chamber a round you must squeeze the grip safety before the slide will move back. So if you wish to carry with an empty chamber you will have to have a complete grip before racking the slide. You can also get a XDM series pistol. They are essentially the same as an XD except they have a thumb safety added along with ambidextrous mag release and replaceable back straps for the grip. I wish I had though about it when we were at Uwaharrie, I had it with me. I did show it to Nick though, he carries a Glock - yawn...... :)

IamJEEP
07-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I've never had a fail to fire because of the grip safety. This includes shooting correctly or one handed. I think the grip safety is far less of a concern than a typical switch safety. You can easily forget to disengage a switch style safety, it's pretty hard to forget to hold the pistol. While you may not hold it the same in an emergency situation as you would when shooting at the range, it's still pretty hard I think to not hold it well enough to disengage the grip safety.

I agree that it is less of a concern, im just thinking in terms of .....if my girl would grip it well enough if she ever had to use it. It'll primarily be my pistol but, i would like her to carry a similar one as well.

IamJEEP
07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Same here Caleb. I've never had a malfunction of any kind with my XD.45. The grip safety has to be disengaged but it takes very little pressure to do so. Just simply holding it in your hand is enough. Now I carry mine " condition 1 " which is cocked and locked, round in the chamber, ready to go. Some people don't like doing this, I understand. On the XD, in order to chamber a round you must squeeze the grip safety before the slide will move back. So if you wish to carry with an empty chamber you will have to have a complete grip before racking the slide. You can also get a XDM series pistol. They are essentially the same as an XD except they have a thumb safety added along with ambidextrous mag release and replaceable back straps for the grip. I wish I had though about it when we were at Uwaharrie, I had it with me. I did show it to Nick though, he carries a Glock - yawn...... :)

Yawn? Lmcao!!! Darn, wish i knew you had it altho the range was closed anyways.

So, if i want the interchangeable back straps, i got to get the xdm? According to some reviews, the xd has them also. Is this true?

NeilSmith
07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
My wife has small hands and she shot it with no problems. I know that during an engagement you may think it could be an issue. Hopefully that never happens but I dont think you could hold it in your hand to shoot it and not squeeze the grip safety, its that easy to do. M onl concern is since I do carry it with a round chambered, when I holster it I push on the back of the slide instead of the grip. I dont want something hooking the trigger and shooting a big hole in my shoe, thats where I keep my foot. :)

IamJEEP
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
My wife has small hands and she shot it with no problems. I know that during an engagement you may think it could be an issue. Hopefully that never happens but I dont think you could hold it in your hand to shoot it and not squeeze the grip safety, its that easy to do. M onl concern is since I do carry it with a round chambered, when I holster it I push on the back of the slide instead of the grip. I dont want something hooking the trigger and shooting a big hole in my shoe, thats where I keep my foot. :)

Lol, yeah that would suck. Ok, i feel better about that issue hearing from you guys (except for Don, jk).

Now, whats your take on the conversion for range time?

NeilSmith
07-08-2011, 12:24 PM
No, only on the XDM. Its not much of an issue if you like the feel of the grip to begin with. I kinda like the idea of the thumb safety but it just takes some getting use to, relying on the safeties that are built into the piece to begin with. Some people think Im crazy for carrying it with a round chambered. I tell them Ive had it for like 5 years now , its alwas been loaded, and its never just gone off by itself. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are shooting at a target and you wont have any problems.

NeilSmith
07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
My opinion is this : practice with it the same as you would be carrying it in the real world. The only thing I change when at the range is I shoot plain ball ammo instead of more expensive hollow points. I really dont shoot it much when I go to the range. I spend more time with my AR and Rem 700. I will end my range day with a mag or two thru the XD just to make sure its still there. It hits what Im aiming at everytime so I know its good to go. Some guys do the .22 conversion on their AR because its cheaper. Yeah its cheaper but its not the same. The ballistics are different which affects accuracy and shot effectiveness. The recoil is different which will affect follow-up shots. I dont think you will notice much difference between the 9mm and the .40 as far as money goes anyway. All ammo has become more expensive, no matter the caliber.

pjmjr508
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Same here, have had mine for a few years & keep it Chambered while carrying and had any issues.

IamJEEP
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Ammo is around $5 a box of 50 differenece, which adds up. I see what you are saying about the characteristics of the pistol with two different sizes. I would agree to stick to what i would normally cc. Good point with the AR and .22 rounds, it won't shoot the same. I think i will start off with the 9 and later on upgrade or add to my planned Zombie arsenal. This will not be my only pistol in my my pocession for long. Im allready addicted and hav'nt even purchased my pistol.. LOL....

NeilSmith
07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I would say get a 9mm to start with. Its a perfectly capable round and dependable. Ive heard and read about some inconsistencies with the .40 round, dont know from experiance. If in the future you want a change, sell it and buy another or just get another and start a collection. :) I had a 9mm that I got from a good friend that was a little tight on cash. A couple of years later I was looking to sell it to help fund an XD. I asked my buddy if he would be upset if I sold the 9mm that I got from him and he said " No, but if you sell it , make sure you upgrade and get a head - knocker. " So I got a .45.

cico7
07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Lol, yeah that would suck. Ok, i feel better about that issue hearing from you guys (except for Don,
That's because I reminded him the cost of ammo and wasn't a concern when it comes to safety...lol......

hoaxci5
07-09-2011, 10:22 AM
My wife calls our XD9 her pistol since she got me the LCP. Since we live in CA currently we don't carry, but we each have our "go to weapon" and hers is the XD. She doesn't like shooting the LCP and is quite a good shot with the XD. Shes 5'5" typical woman, and has no issue with the safety or shooting it at all. Granted she also qual'ed expert with her Navy issued M9..

I really don't think the safety should be an issue at all. The only reason to feel strongly about it is personal preference, not in how it actually works.

IamJEEP
07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
That's because I reminded him the cost of ammo and wasn't a concern when it comes to safety...lol......

Yes, Don and I have been texting back in forth about this same issue........you have been a lot of help, thanks!.....

My wife calls our XD9 her pistol since she got me the LCP. Since we live in CA currently we don't carry, but we each have our "go to weapon" and hers is the XD. She doesn't like shooting the LCP and is quite a good shot with the XD. Shes 5'5" typical woman, and has no issue with the safety or shooting it at all. Granted she also qual'ed expert with her Navy issued M9..

I really don't think the safety should be an issue at all. The only reason to feel strongly about it is personal preference, not in how it actually works.

I appretiate all the assistance and info you guys are stating, it's always good to get info from this crew. Thanks all, I have sold my Xbox and stashed the $$$$ for my XD9 Fund!

I don't think I will be getting the XDM version, I just don't feel that the extras are worth the extra $100 or so.

NeilSmith
07-10-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't feel that the extras are worth the extra $100 or so.
same here !

CKB3
07-27-2011, 11:48 AM
IamJeep, did you get your ccw yet or take any classes?

IamJEEP
07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
IamJeep, did you get your ccw yet or take any classes?

Nawh bro, life and bills got in the way. But, I have decided to go with the Springfeild Armory XD9 Compact. Hopefully by the end of next month it will be in my pocession as well as a cwp/ccl.

The notification showed you asking if I was in Fl...?....Yes, I am.

CKB3
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Yea i posted that as my initial question but then remembered your in South FL. I carry a full size XD40 daily. The XD is a great firearm and as far as your safety concerns with depressing the rear safety... If you hold the gun, you will depress the safety. Period It takes very little pressure to depress.

IamJEEP
07-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I was initially going with the 40, but decided i wanted a pistol i can take to the range and be cheaper to shoot. At first i was looking into the .40 to 9 conversion. I still might do that when the time (hopefully next month) comes to purchasing the pistol.

I have held a couple different caliber XDs and i have ruled the grip safety to be a "no issue" (with the help of everyone here and friends).

Omelet
08-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Have you gone out and actually shot any of your selected pistols yet? Do yourself a favor, DO NOT make up your mind on a pistol and buy it without shooting it first! Like a few others have said already. Go to a range with an open mind (no prejudges) and put a mag through a handful of different ones. You just might find out that the one gun you have already chosen in your mind does not suite your shooting style. Granted with enough practice you can become an expert with any pistol, but why fight one gun when there is another that is perfect for you from the start. Just my 2 cents, but what do I know ;)

IamJEEP
08-03-2011, 04:46 AM
Have you gone out and actually shot any of your selected pistols yet? Do yourself a favor, DO NOT make up your mind on a pistol and buy it without shooting it first! Like a few others have said already. Go to a range with an open mind (no prejudges) and put a mag through a handful of different ones. You just might find out that the one gun you have already chosen in your mind does not suite your shooting style. Granted with enough practice you can become an expert with any pistol, but why fight one gun when there is another that is perfect for you from the start. Just my 2 cents, but what do I know ;)

That is good advise, but I have fired a couple different ones of different calibers. The XD felt the best in my hand withe the M&P in a close second. Hopefully this weekend i will be able the handle and fire several others at a not so local open range. A couple of buddies are going with their full arsenal and I was invited to shoot whatever i wanted. Stoked!

Omelet
08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Awesome! I just wanted to share some advice. Good luck with your purchase. And have fun this weekend!

pjmjr508
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM
that should be a blast enjoy yourself. Take pic's

IamJEEP
08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Awesome! I just wanted to share some advice. Good luck with your purchase. And have fun this weekend!

that should be a blast enjoy yourself. Take pic's

Hopefully TS Emily doesn't screw this weekend up for us, argh!!!! There should be a couple of AK's and plenty of AR's there..maybe even a sniper rifle.

pjmjr508
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
That should be a lot of fun to handle so many different type of firearms. If you look thru my FB pic's you will see the ones my brother brought out when went to play, he served as a Marine & he has a lot of very nice firearms to play with.

Have fun but also keep aware of the ones that feel the best while firing, this will help you know which is best suited for you

IamJEEP
08-04-2011, 11:32 AM
That should be a lot of fun to handle so many different type of firearms. If you look thru my FB pic's you will see the ones my brother brought out when went to play, he served as a Marine & he has a lot of very nice firearms to play with.

Have fun but also keep aware of the ones that feel the best while firing, this will help you know which is best suited for you

Yeah bro, I'm excited... I'm going to consentrate on the pistols as that is my primary focus right now. That doesn't mean that I won't be behind the big boys wasting some ammo, LOL...

Tymac
08-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Took 2 of my 9mm's to Colorado and (3) .22 rifles and never fired 1 shot. How sad is that?

The gun club I'm a member of is having a tactical shoot next month to raise money for a fallen officer's family. He was KIA 2 months ago. Currently, only active officers can participate, but I'm pushing to have a civilian class added or at least let the PD's have 2 civilian spots each. It'll raise more money and get a decent shooter on our local department's team.

IamJEEP
08-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Check it out---->Range Report posts 19, 20 (http://www.xk-forum.com/showthread.php/633-Range-Report?p=13280#post13280)

pjmjr508
08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info sir

CoreyZ
08-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Just to chime in... I carry a 9mm XDm 3.8. Love the gun but thinkin of swapping to a 1911 .45 for cc as its thinner.

IamJEEP
08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Just to chime in... I carry a 9mm XDm 3.8. Love the gun but thinkin of swapping to a 1911 .45 for cc as its thinner.

Yes, it is thinner but heavier and longer. I'm not so sure it will be "comfortable" to carry such a big pistol.

pjmjr508
08-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I have the Springfield 1911 45 yes Thinner & slightly heavier but not longer. mine is the 4" carry version so I do like carring that one alot.

CoreyZ
08-11-2011, 01:01 PM
The SA is just so damn uncomfortable in my back kidney lol....

NeilSmith
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Im looking at getting one of the mini 1911s to carry, like a Colt Defender . The XD is great but I may go a little smaller. It still will be a .45 of course. :)

IamJEEP
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I hope to have my XD (or whatever I finally decide to purchase) by the end of the month or early next month.