PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for new Superlift?

Matt
06-17-2011, 03:56 PM
I remember reading somewhere that you guys were working with SuperLift to develop a true upgraded kit. Wondering if this is true and if you can provide any details?

If everything works out... i'll be in the market about this time next year and would really like to see a better kit. Right now, there's really nothing on the market pushing me to a 4".

I know you guys had some issues with the older BDS design... but I also know there are issues with the rear of the SL pushing the rear tire too far forward while flexing; so that has me looking at the Rustys more than anything with the adjustable radius arms.

Just figured id kick up some discussion. We need more lifted XK's out there! :cool:

Sal-XK
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Diffidently waiting for a more refined kit to come out for sure. 4" is nice but it needs to be done right with good articulation front and rear and keep all the angles at proper levels. The SL covers most of this but as Matt pointed out some improvements are needed.

Matt
06-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I would like to see replacement struts up front as an upgradeable option as opposed to just using a spacer with the stock strut....

LWM
06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I too am waiting for the rel;ease of the upgraded kit.

Sal-XK
06-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I think some details or at least tease us with some details on whats going on. This is something I would have to save up for and I spend all my money as fast as I make it so unless I know its something I want I won't start saving I'll just keep spending :)

El Cid
06-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Yes, 4xGuard has been working very closely with Superlift on the upgrading of their current designs for the 4" lift-kit. I'm not sure how much I can share about the process involved, except to say that I was quite fortunate to spend several days with Superlift's owner, chief engineer, and amazing top mechanic, painstakingly going over their kit with a "wish-list" of alterations based on our experience of using and selling it and competing kits. We then put those plans into action in their shop, modifying their existing kit on the fly as we redesigned and installed components on my XK.

I don't say that to brag, but to point out that I am totally biased. I think the improvements that have been made are extremely positive. But I'm also one of the key voices arguing for those improvements, so of course I feel that way.

Still, I think folks are going to like what they see when it is all said and done. The key change, as you might imagine, is in the design of the rear. I've been testing the revised version of the rear on my XK for over a year now, and it has been great. (In fact, the new one will be slightly better than mine, since using mine has helped us tweak things a bit.) There will also be a few alterations to make maintenance easier, as well as changes to make installation easier. Some of these changes may be invisible to most folks, but they meant a lot to us.

This summer -- in a few weeks, actually -- we should be test-fitting the last redesigned components. After that, all the design changes and what-not will be complete and the kit should be ready for market. When folks can buy it, of course, is up to Superlift. 4xGuard has ZERO control in that regard, though we've obviously been encouraging them to get it out sooner rather than later.

I don't think I can get into many details beyond that.

I will say, regarding the Rusty's kit, that I personally find it disconcerting that their website is misleading about the design and inclusions of the kit, and that the key change they made of mimicking the BDS rear appears to have the same straight-arm design flaw that the former BDS kit had. The new Superlift rear will not have that same issue.

Matt, unless something has changed that I wasn't told about, the new Superlift will have the same front strut set-up as the old kit (in principle, though some of the parts might be tweaked), which is more than adequate. Is there some specific reason you're wanting something else?

Matt
06-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Hey Mike, thanks for the update! That's really refreshing to hear.

As far as the front is concerned, using a large spacer on top of the stock strut is adequate and is common for most "basic" suspension lifts for other vehicles. I personally (as well as most people in the truck market) like to upgrade our shocks/struts when we install suspension lifts. Most lift companies (including superlift for some of the other vehicles) have the option of an upgraded strut, usually made by Bilstein, that eliminates the need for the spacer.

For example, straight from superlifts website for the GM 2007+ 1500 4x4 pickups:

Superlift’s other lift method replaces the factory strut bodies with lifetime-warranted premium gas struts. These new struts have the same features as our 2.5½ struts (discussed on previous page).

I think it's a bit redundant that I'd have to purchase new OEM spec struts and install a spacer on those. It's a much cleaner setup to just install a longer strut (which is very common) and it also allows us to have matching front/rear dampers.

El Cid
06-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Matt,

Superlift used to offer just such an upgrade. I don't know if they will do so again or not. If you want to go that route at this point you're only out the cost of those front spacers (which are negligible), as the OEM struts are utilized -- so I really don't see a problem.

For what it is worth, I'm well aware of the desire to get what you're talking about, but at the same time my experience tells me that there's little practical need for it. It's mostly "beef as bling," if you know what I mean. There isn't anything wrong with that necessarily -- I can't tell you some of the useless-but-badass stuff I had on my CJ7 -- but it isn't going to be important for most folks. My Commander, as a test vehicle for 4xG and for SL, is put through some hard labor both off-road (often hitting the hardest spots on the hardest trails) and on-road (trailer-pulling, long-haul driving), and I'm running the OEM fronts and the basic Superride rears, with no disconnects or what-not. Works great.

Matt
06-19-2011, 05:50 AM
I wouldn't say it's any more unnecessary than extended shocks for the rear. Superlift could do away with the Super-ride rears and just provide shock extensions with the kit to accomplish the same thing.

A lot of people upgrade the OEM struts to get a bit firmer ride and a better damping ratio for offroading. Superlift provides longer struts in other kits, as well as most lift manufacturers. I've been lifting and offroading vehicles for a long time and I would definitely say that upgraded struts/shocks are not just a "bling" item.

Now if they would be ungodly expensive due to low demand, then I understand. But being that its pretty much a standard & affordable offering for almost every other kit on the market.... it would be nice if we had the same option; let the consumer decide how they want their vehicle to ride (some like the stock struts, a lot dont)

Matt
06-19-2011, 05:53 AM
Regardless, I appreciate the work you're doing with them. I think an improved kit is long overdue and will probably sell like hot cakes in coming years since there's really no competition in this market, and more and more people are starting to think about lifting their XKs/WKs.

El Cid
06-19-2011, 06:13 AM
I know Superlift hopes that you're right that there will be increased sales with the new kit; these things cost money, which doesn't grow on trees!

As for your points about the struts, I think you're misunderstanding me. I did not say that such an upgrade is exclusively bling; I said that for "most folks" it is when it gets down to it. If you're not one of the folks, if you really do need them, then that's great -- but just know that you're quite in the minority. I don't work for Superlift (can't emphasize that enough), so I don't know for sure why they don't offer that upgrade right now for this particular kit, but my guess is that it just didn't make business sense. To offer it would require having thousands of dollars in upgraded shocks sitting in the warehouse, and my experience would tell me that they sell very slowly. Since, as I said, the only "extra" cost to the customer who wants to upgrade the front (in terms of kit parts) is pretty minimal, I'm guessing they just don't see the whole thing as making business sense.

Again, though, I don't really know what's going through their mind on those kinds of things. Their engineering I'm well-acquainted with, their finances I'm not. 4xGuard's recommendation was to have that sort of "super duty" option for this new kit, but I have no knowledge at all in whether they will do it. My guess is they will not, but it is pure speculation. I am pretty sure that some of our other "wish list" upgrades aren't happening for financial reasons (which is fine). Can't get everything!

Matt
06-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Yeah i can definitely see the demand being an issue for the shocks. Manufacturing and development shouldn't be an issue, they're pretty much boiler plate. Minimum order quantities and parts sitting on the shelves are where the benefit/cost will likely come in.

Most people that lift their vehicles (any vehicle) don't take it offroad and the whole setup then is basically for looks...so I understand that im one of the minority. lol hell im one of those from the start just for wanting to lift my Commander!

Sal-XK
06-19-2011, 06:48 AM
It is what it is with the XK. Unfortunately at least for now there are only a hand full of us lifting and pushing these things to there limits and if you count the amount of XK's that were built and the number that are being built and wheeled its very very small. Matt I think to get what we need in the end we will be piecing together a lift using the SL as a very good start to the project. JBA is working with fox I think for a front strut. So getting the SL and buying some of the JBA parts will be are best option along with some custom parts. It makes in interesting at least LOL

Matt
06-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Oh there's no doubt that some Fox or King 4" coilovers would be ideal... especially for tweaking the ride height for added accessories.

If this SL is everything we're hoping for, then that combine with some coilovers has me drooling!

Sal-XK
06-19-2011, 07:43 AM
compensating for the added weight up front like steel bumpers winches dual battery setups and stuff will be needed. I agree running coil overs will be nice.

Matt
06-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Sal, I have a feeling me and you will be the first two commanders with the new SL and coilovers! Lol.

Sal-XK
06-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Well I seem to be thinking of the same time line you are as well. Maybe a road trip and a two for one install party LOL You go first thought hahahah

pjmjr508
06-19-2011, 10:40 AM
I will be right there with you guys, just need to get the money together for it.

Matt
06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I seem to be thinking of the same time line you are as well. Maybe a road trip and a two for one install party LOL You go first thought hahahah

Lol I'm good for that!

Which reminds me..... hey Mike, is welding still required with the improved kit?

If I don't have my welder in time ill just borrow a friends...

I will be right there with you guys, just need to get the money together for it.

I'm already saving. Throwing $75/month aside to build up a fund that'll ease the pain. I want to do JBA ucas and new bushings at the same time.... so I'm looking at a hefty bill in parts. But being that the vehicle will be 6-7 years old, I'm going to replace all the wear items while its apart so I'm not nickeled and dimed over the next few years thereafter with maintenance.

Sal-XK
06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Those struts won't be cheap at all but worth the money.

Lol I'm good for that!

Which reminds me..... hey Mike, is welding still required with the improved kit?

If I don't have my welder in time ill just borrow a friends...

I'm already saving. Throwing $75/month aside to build up a fund that'll ease the pain. I want to do JBA ucas and new bushings at the same time.... so I'm looking at a hefty bill in parts. But being that the vehicle will be 6-7 years old, I'm going to replace all the wear items while its apart so I'm not nickeled and dimed over the next few years thereafter with maintenance.

Sounds like a plan and a good excuse to visit NJ

LWM
06-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I am in line for the new lift as well.

El Cid
06-20-2011, 04:05 AM
To answer your question, Matt: yes, the new design will still require that crossmember modification. As I said, the basic concept of the kit is unchanged. It's the details of certain parts and the rear arm setup that are altered.

I should also say that I'm very excited about folks like you all pushing the limits with these rigs. I am convinced it is a growth industry, as it were, because people just don't know about it.

In that regard, you might want to grab the August issue of Four Wheeler Magazine when it is available. Has an article of interest. :)

Tymac
06-20-2011, 10:16 AM
I read it Friday. Congrats to Russ!

Matt
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Man I gotta check it out.....

El Cid
07-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Just wanted to pass along the latest word from Superlift: they are doing a rolling product change for the new kit design and it is in production. Given the number of the old kits they had, we're suspecting that in another week or so the lifts shipping out of Superlift's warehouse will be the new ones. Please note that this will only apply to orders direct from Superlift or an outfit like 4xGuard, who ships direct from Superlift's warehouse. Big distributorships like Q'tec may or may not have their own warehouse stocks to get through, which will obviously be of the old design. And because this is a rolling product change (no new part numbers), most big distros won't even know that a change has occurred, and even if they do know there isn't a really easy way for someone to confirm the kit design unless they know exactly who to talk to at Superlift -- I imagine most of the folks at Superlift won't even know there's been a change.

I hate to say this, but if you're in the market for the lift, my suggestion for the short-term would be to order from 4xGuard after the first of the month -- and specifically request that you get the new kit. Given our involvement we should be able to clear the orders. Hopefully it won't be too long before we'll be able to tell that the big distributorships have cleared their old stock and folks can feel confident in ordering from any old place, but in the meantime I wouldn't want folks getting old kits if they really want the new one.

Matt
07-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the update!!!

That's great news. I'm really hoping that things fall into place so I can lift mine next summer/fall. :)

pjmjr508
07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
so what exactly is the change from the old kit to the new?

txbajacommander
07-27-2011, 06:09 AM
can the new lower rear arms be ordered seperately for those with the 4" kit already?

El Cid
07-27-2011, 07:24 PM
I think I covered the changes above. As for whether the new arms can be ordered separately -- in theory that should be possible, but in practice it will be complicated given the apparent lack of new part numbers. We're still working to get a stable way to do it, though.

LWM
07-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the update, now I have to find the money again. :)

TrialByFire
07-30-2011, 06:45 PM
I think I covered the changes above. As for whether the new arms can be ordered separately -- in theory that should be possible, but in practice it will be complicated given the apparent lack of new part numbers. We're still working to get a stable way to do it, though.

IMHO, the OEM arms with drop brackets are the worst feature of the old SL. As soon as you can give me a part number for the new rear arms, I will order a set.

Matt
08-10-2011, 06:53 PM
So before the doors are shut... what does this mean for the superlift kit? Since we wont be able to order it from 4XG anymore, are there any other ways we can ensure we get the "new" kit when we order?

Is there a specific contact at SL that guys who currently have the kit can contact to get the upgraded parts?

El Cid
08-10-2011, 06:58 PM
That's an incredibly good question.

We'll still be filling orders for SL kits for awhile -- it doesn't take the kind of time that, say, building new Side Guards does! -- but long-term ... um, I'll try to get back to you on that.

Matt
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Cool man... good to know.

And definitely keep us in the loop. My time frame is next summer; so i have a feeling i'll be falling into that "post 4xg" era with my order.

El Cid
08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Next summer ... yeah, I'm pretty sure we'll be shut down or taken over by someone at that point! Russ isn't going to put off his second retirement for that long! :)

EvilJager
08-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Anyone know when the "new" superlift will be released?

LWM
08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Anyone know when the "new" superlift will be released?

Moved your question to this thread which should also provide the answer to your question.

Matt
08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Bumping this back up since someone's spending too much time in the "wrong" place and not paying attention.

You know who you are! Read post #25 ;)

EvilJager
08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Lol I didn't know this topic existed!