PDA

View Full Version : Forum "Tech Badge"?

Matt
06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
**Not sure how this would work with forum programming...

I've been on a lot of different forums for quite some time... For those who have worked as techs, or just have a significant amount of hands-on knowledge with vehicles or mechanical systems, it becomes evident who does or doesn't have experience.

A lot of people come to forums for technical discussion or to solve technical issues. For a novice, or someone who isn't experienced, it's often hard to decipher the good suggestions from the not so good ones.

So I thought it might be a good idea to institute a "Forum Tech" rating that members earn. Having the rating will help other (or new) members feel a bit more confident about your suggestions. Here's how I would think it would work:

1) Start with a few members who clearly have a mechanical background, like El Cid/ Doc/ etc. (Anyone who has experience, works as a tech, has ASE certs, etc can always request the rating).
2) As a general rule, having the "Tech Rating" gives you the responsibility to give a member "tech points" when they make a solid technical post.
3) After a member reaches a certain number of "tech points", they earn a "Tech Rating" badge (and have the same responsibility to give out "tech points")
4) The "Tech badge" listed under/near a username should link a member to a quick summary of what the badge means... obviously it should be stated clearly that the badge is in no way, shape or form counts an "official" tech for any manufacturer and that's its basically just a forum gage of a members hands on experience or technical expertise.

The Positive:
1) Members get a good sense for who the technically inclined members are... especially since the "badge" must be earned from others who have knowledge/experience. It's not based on # of posts (like I see on some forums).
2) It promotes members to make good technical posts to earn the badge.

The Negatives:
1) It could make members feel like the "must" earn the badge or be looked at as "non technical".
2) We all know that you don't have to be technically inclined to make a good suggestion... so it could potentially make a member ignore a good suggestion because that person isn't "tech rated". (But if someone makes a good post, they should get a tech thumbs up for it anyway... so maybe that won't be much of an issue?)

Figured I'd throw it out there for thoughts/discussion. Trying to come up with ways to make our site a bit different than others and keep up the technical discussions.

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
We kinda have that already. We have a reputation point system. You're suppose to give a member rep points when he does something worth while and or makes good tech points in a thread. It's a little frustrating to use because for a member that makes several rep worth posts\thread I can't give them the points the system tells me to make rep points on someone else before I can assign anymore to the user :( I ran into that with Matt and Huey I gave the max the system would let me even though they had several threads and posts that deserved the point.

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Here is exactly what it says to me
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Matt_ again. I still can't give Matt anymore points.

Matt
06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Kind of like taking the Rep points to the next level. Having it lead up to something.....

Also thought it might be good to have a vetted system... so you know the title was earned by thumbs up from other "techs".

I wonder if there's a way to solve sals issue with the Rep power limits?

IamJEEP
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
This is exactly what I was leaning to in the other thread. YOU STOLE MY IDEA, MATTTTTTTT!!!!!!! To the plank you go!

O.k. seriously, the rep points are for this idea, but maybe it can be refined or changed a bit to what Matt has stated. I have also run into the same issue that Sal just mentioned, therefor forgetting about the rep points thing. There has been plenty of times that I could of givin said points to someone and just bypassed it, I am guilty of not using it.

I really like this idea and believe it'll help everyone when there is a tech question you can not find on your own.

Tymac
06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
This is a great thread, but I to ran into the same issue today trying to give rep points. So I passed them out to anyone that didn't say to the plank. Just kidding I got you guys to. The limits from one person to another should be raised if possible.

On a side note can change the word "Rep" to "Tech"?

LWM
06-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I will look at the Rep Power part of the software to see what changes can be made. I think I can change the title to anything you want and I should be able to lif tthe limits but I do not think I can limit who uses it but I will play around in there and see what all it can do.

LWM
06-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Okay...

I did find that I can add "Ranks", did anyone notice the rank I added for all memebrs with more than 10 posts?

I can add many ranks but the only qualifier that I saw was that it changes when the number of posts by a member increases.

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Change the name to tech points if you think that's better. I viewed the rep points as a thumbs up kinda thing pretty much only gave rep points to cool mods or good advice that kind of thing. Being able to give the points when there deserved would be nice.

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Okay...

I did find that I can add "Ranks", did anyone notice the rank I added for all memebrs with more than 10 posts?

I can add many ranks but the only qualifier that I saw was that it changes when the number of posts by a member increases.

I thought we had a thread with name suggestions on what to call members at a certain post count.

LWM
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I thought we had a thread with name suggestions on what to call members at a certain post count.

Those were for the user Rep Power but the first title currently kicks in when a member has 10 points.

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 10:38 AM
I have two green bars everyone has one. is that the rep power or what is that?

LWM
06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
The limits from one person to another should be raised if possible.

The old setting required you to give 20 points before returning to any particular member, I lowered that too 5. If it needs more adjustment let me know.

IamJEEP
06-22-2011, 10:47 AM

That's called....."Greed". Gosh!

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
The old setting required you to give 20 points before returning to any particular member, I lowered that too 5. If it needs more adjustment let me know.

IMO for it to work it needs to be at zero. If its going to mean anything then the stuff that deserves it should receive the points not everything else so I can clear my quota so I can give points were it needs to be. As it sits I keep using Matt as an example, how long will have to wait around for a rep worthy post to come along to clear the quota so I can go back and give the member that deserves the post points. Well in this case it took so long I forgot about it. I've handed out some rep points and still can't give Matt points for his fuel tank skid work :(

Matt
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Why have a limit at all?

LWM
06-22-2011, 10:52 AM

That light is based on the number of posts... Since you are over 1,500 you get a second light :)

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 10:53 AM
That's called....."Greed". Gosh!

Listen here you little !@#@!@# I'm going to throw you and Don overboard LOL J/K

IamJEEP
06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
How come everyone is a Big Time Trouble Maker? Sal and yourself have over 1000 post count and i only have over 500, they should change once you hit a coupke hundred posts.

LWM
06-22-2011, 10:55 AM
IMO for it to work it needs to be at zero. (

Why have a limit at all?

I will set it for zero, I guess my only concern is people giving rep points just to do it. I would hope that it woul dbe used for helpful posts and not who ever has the funniest joke.

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 10:57 AM
That light is based on the number of posts... Since you are over 1,500 you get a second light :)

Ahh I see learned something new today cool. I think if we renamed the rep to tech and fixed how we can give it out that will work. If you can name the points for reaching some milestones that would cool to I guess.

IamJEEP
06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Listen here you little !@#@!@# I'm going to throw you and Don overboard LOL J/K

Lmcao!!! Don hold your breath, we're going in!

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I will set it for zero, I guess my only concern is people giving rep points just to do it. I would hope that it woul dbe used for helpful posts and not who ever has the funniest joke.

I for one never used it in that fashion but if we change it to tech points I would have to refine my criteria for giving them out. In the past a cool video of your XK or picture might lead me to give some points. A nice mod or solid advice for sure got rep points from me. Just let us know what the criteria is. Is it rep or tech points or both?

Matt
06-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I for one never used it in that fashion but if we change it to tech points I would have to refine my criteria for giving them out. In the past a cool video of your XK or picture might lead me to give some points. A nice mod or solid advice for sure got rep points from me. Just let us know what the criteria is. Is it rep or tech points or both?

I wonder if its possible to have both? I envisioned that my "Forum Tech" badge would be in addition to the generic "Rep power". So if we can't do a forum tech thing.... maybe just change it to Tech power with the criteria being any sort of technically inclined post such as a "how to", a detailed mod install & description that shows the OP knows his stuff (as opposed to paying a shop to install a lift for example and then posting pics.... no tech power there! Lol), a technical post helping a member solve a problem or answering a technical question, etc.

IamJEEP
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I wonder if its possible to have both? I envisioned that my "Forum Tech" badge would be in addition to the generic "Rep power". So if we can't do a forum tech thing.... maybe just change it to Tech power with the criteria being any sort of technically inclined post such as a "how to", a detailed mod install & description that shows the OP knows his stuff (as opposed to paying a shop to install a lift for example and then posting pics.... no tech power there! Lol), a technical post helping a member solve a problem or answering a technical question, etc.

I vote for this.

cico7
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM

So Sal, did the lights finally come one?

07JeepXK
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I definately like this idea. I must have been gone for quite some time....Sal has more posts then Knappster....lol He must have a lot of time on his hands...jk

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I definately like this idea. I must have been gone for quite some time....Sal has more posts then Knappster....lol He must have a lot of time on his hands...jk

Dude you been gone way to long!

cico7
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
we are all big time trouble makers, someone should be tagged little ****....

Sal-XK
06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
we are all big time trouble makers, someone should be tagged little ****....

Ya Caleb LOL heheheh

IamJEEP
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Ya Caleb LOL heheheh

Finally! Sal is now in the game, good one bro. Now game on!

07JeepXK
06-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Dude you been gone way to long!

Yeah unfortunately.....but the pay is good!