PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drive Axle not centered

Sal-XK
06-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Ok noticed today while I did my rear brakes that the rear axle is not centered or it seemed that way. While pulling the tire off the passenger side my bar would almost hit the wheel flare. While pulling the tire off the driver side I had enough room to fit my whole fist on it without scrapping my knuckles. So it seems that its pushed to the driver side about a 1/2" over. Any thoughts? am I missing something? can the rear axle even be aligned? If it can any idea the cost or procedure? I had a clean car fax when I bought it no accidents and no sign anywhere of repairs from a wreck either.

07JeepXK
06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Thats because you have a lift on your XK and you have the stock rear track bar. You would need to buy an adjustable track bar to properly center the axle. Basically when you added the lift spacers the rear axle was pushed downward to achieve the lift and at the same time slightly forward since you are using stock length upper and lower control arms. You are also using the stock length track bar, so when the axle gets pushed downward due to the lift it cant stay centered and moves towards the drivers side. This is due to the track bar frame mounts being located on the drivers side of the vehicle. To keep it cheap, the 4 inch lifts provide a new track bar relocation bracket that mounts to the oem axle bracket to center the axle. Its a lot cheaper then selling an adjustable track bar with the lift.

Its hard to explain so I hope you understand. Theres nothing wrong with your XK. Just need an adjustable rear track bar to center the axle.

Sal-XK
06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
No I got it makes sense I was pretty sure the axle couldn't be aligned just wanted to make sure. I didn't however know why it was but I do now thanks bro. Just another good excuse to get the SL when there done messing with it.

Matt
06-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

On my XJ the bracket was big enough where I could drill a new hole to re-center the front axle..... but I ended up just buying an adjustable trac bar for it since I'm a bit OCD and wanted It "perfect".

WanderingTs
07-01-2011, 10:21 PM
So out of curiosity for those of us (me) who don't have as much mod experience, does the fact that the axle is in a different place affect or change anything? It sounds like this would create a slightly sideways motion of the tire against the ground causing increased tire wear?

Matt
07-02-2011, 03:03 AM
Its harmless at the level we're at with 2" spacers. If you go much higher you'll start wearing out radius arm bushings from the lateral load. Won't get increased tire wear though. Might also look funny from the rear if the axle is a full 1-2 inches out of position..... like its crab walking down the street.