PDA

View Full Version : Rock Sliders

XK N00b
06-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Is anyone running sliders on their XK? I'd like to know what you think about which ones you've got. I'm ready to pull the trigger on putting them on mine, just looking for a recommendation as to whose to go with. The 4xguard brand looks Rugged and very clean on the XK. But the Rocky Road looks lighter and easier to install, and $200 less. your thoughts?

hoaxci5
06-28-2011, 05:57 PM
I've got the supersliders, but I bought them used. Before stumbling across the used pair from Knappster though I had already decided I was getting them because of the price difference, and that they function as a step for roof access when the doors are closed.

I'm not sure on the install side being easier. I had them welded on because I couldn't see how I was supposed to attach them to the frame. (I didn't have instructions though either but Knappster also had them welded)

Downside to them is that they don't give you as much ground clearance as the 4xGuard sliders.

Matt
06-28-2011, 06:01 PM
IMO, the savings of $200 for the RR sliders is quickly dimished when you consider:

1) the 4xG increase ground clearance at the rockers by about an inch whereas you lose over an inch of ground clearance with the RR.
2) the 4xG fit & finish looks as good as, or better than, stock.
3) the increased sliding surface (8" wide?) will ensure that you glide over things smoothly and provides plenty of support whereas the RR look like basic square tube welded to some brackets

Ease of install is probably a wash between the two. So you may spend an hour longer on one or the other... not really decision maker to me. i'd rather spend a full day installing a quality product than 2 hours installing a lesser product.

XK N00b
06-28-2011, 06:02 PM
Looks like I have some Pros & cons to weigh... So far I think I like the 4XGuard better than the others I've seen. Maybe I'll pay Doc a visit and see what he can come up with as an option.

Matt
06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
FWIW, I think the perfect combination would be an added step extrusion on the 4xG sliders. They couldn't angle upwards because of door interference... but even if they came straight outwards to use as a step as well as added trail protection (from sliding sideways into a tree). It'd also help protect the side of the vehicle from rock chips with wider wheels/tires.

hoaxci5
06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Supersliders offer more lateral protection than 4x though.
The ground clearance part didn't seem like such a big deal to me since it's still not the lowest part of the Jeep. Not to say that having them higher isn't a benefit when you aren't level while offroading, it just didn't seem like as big of a deal to me..

hoaxci5
06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I was typing that last reply right as Matt was, so there is a little crossing of paths on it..

I agree though, 4x with a welded on step would have been a absolute purchase for me.

Sal-XK
06-28-2011, 06:11 PM
That sideways sliding protection is a big deal my B pillar has a dent in from such an occasion. :)

XK N00b
06-28-2011, 06:42 PM
I just went through and read all the posts under the 4xGuard vendor thread and am pretty much sold on them :)

cico7
07-01-2011, 07:03 AM
When you are looking at sliders or rails, you have to figure out what you are protecting and how it will work.
My rails did not provide a decent step nor did they protect the bottom at the pinch weld. if i got too close to a rock at 8" on
either side, it did well. But I lost clearance and didnt protect the bottom edge.

My advice to any noobs, find out what it does and how it is supposed to work before you add something to your
vehicle. I blew $300 on cust made crap. The welder did what I asked for, I just didnt know what I needed.

LWM
07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Looks like I have some Pros & cons to weigh... So far I think I like the 4XGuard better than the others I've seen. Maybe I'll pay Doc a visit and see what he can come up with as an option.

I sold my RR SuperSliders and Doc is making me new ones as we speak. I am in Oregon so I have not seen them yet but he might post some pics as he develops them.

Sal-XK
07-01-2011, 11:13 AM
encourage him to at least send you some pics so you can post them. :)

Holaday07 4.7
07-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Just got a quote from HellBent Offroad here in St. Louis. They quoted me $300.00 for a custom set. They will mount like the Supersliders, but the slider would 2x3 inch square tube. Beats me if this is good or not, or if I should just suck it up and buy the 4x Guard and spend the extra cash.

07JeepXK
07-01-2011, 11:38 AM
From what I hear the 4xguard side guards are extremely well made. They are a little steep in price but i know there products are built to take a beating. Someday ill have the side guards, but who knows when that will be. I need to repair the damage first from not having armor there before I slap those bad boys on.

ped4599
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I have the side guards and think that they were very much worth every penny. they fit perfectly, as if they were factory parts and they are solid.....very heavy duty. I waited a long time to get them cause of all the production delays, but it was worth the wait. they are spot on for what i wanted. I use them as a step, they give you lift jack points, they give you added clearance and they at fit like a glove....and the install was fairly easy.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/IMG_6181JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/IMG_5983JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/IMG_6023JPG-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/03/IMG_5988JPG-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
07-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Looks like I'll just wait then, you should be in their sales dept.

ped4599
07-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Looks like I'll just wait then, you should be in their sales dept.

well, i sold them....or the idea of them....to my wife!...which means i didnt get grief when i bought them. My wife bit on the idea of them as a step for the little one to get use to crawl up in the vehicle.

Holaday07 4.7
07-01-2011, 01:26 PM
well, i sold them....or the idea of them....to my wife!...which means i didnt get grief when i bought them. My wife bit on the idea of them as a step for the little one to get use to crawl up in the vehicle.

Good angle, I had started the "you know now much it will cost to fix if we hit something" but the step should add extra value to it.

Thanks

ped4599
07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Good angle, I had started the "you know now much it will cost to fix if we hit something" but the step should add extra value to it.

Thanks

ACTUALLY.... i love it as a step! I find my self using it more than i thought i would....not to climb in, but for reaching the roof, etc.

ped4599
07-01-2011, 02:52 PM
to be fair i should list a "CON" so you know im not connected with the company....hehe...

the only CON is that if you hit heavy mud, and it lands on top them, you need to get off before it dries (or freezes if its cold out) or the doors will drag. but this is usualy not an issue as long as you open and shut the doors before the mud dries.

XK N00b
07-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Ordered my sliders today from 4XGuard. I hope they get here before I leave for vacation next Friday.

Matt
07-10-2011, 03:45 PM
<----------------Jealous!

bigmaninds
07-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I had these sliders made here in Phoenix, I like them because they angle up and they can be used for steps also they have seen some good hits and stand up pretty well, I had them made at a fab shop.https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/photo12-1.jpghttps://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/05/photo14-1.jpg

cico7
07-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Looks good...

XK N00b
07-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Those do look good. I'm anxious for mine to come in.

segona
07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
here is mine ..

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/DSCN5869-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/DSCN5870-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/DSCN5859-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/DSCN5857-1.jpg

LWM
07-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I had these sliders made here in Phoenix

They look exactly like Rocky Road SuperSliders.

LWM
07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Here is a sneak peak of my sliders:

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

Doc is working up how he will install them, he wants to make it simple so that anyone can install a set at home without a welder.

Sal-XK
07-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I've been told I'm getting rock rails so I need to purchase some next month. I like what Doc has going on if he can keep the price some what competitive Ill take a set off of him. I'm assuming these will be made to order so have Doc jump on here and let us know or you let me know what the deal is.

LWM
07-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I like what Doc has going on if he can keep the price some what competitive Ill take a set off of him. I'm assuming these will be made to order so have Doc jump on here and let us know or you let me know what the deal is.

I will let Doc know, I am sure you will find his prices very competitive and the products superior.

Matt
07-12-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm liking Doc's sliders too. How far do they sit in comparison to the stock plastic? Wondering if Docs version will gain us any clearance at the rockers...

Sal-XK
07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Not worried about his work I know it will be stronger then the super sliders for sure. The wife says I can't be trusted without sliders any more LOL so I would prefer to get docs setup over the super sliders.

Matt
07-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Here is a sneak peak of my sliders:

Doc is working up how he will install them, he wants to make it simple so that anyone can install a set at home without a welder.

I was thinking about this a bit today.... I love where you and Doc are going with the sliders, but had an idea to make them a bit more useful and "different". It would be really cool if there were two platforms (per say) that would act as good steps, then connect the platforms with the tube to complete the "side" protection. By platform, im envisioning something that would provide good grip in all weather.... that way if you're wheeling in the snow (well, for some of us) and want to get something off the roof from the side, you have a nice stepping point.

..Or, in my case, a great step for kids that'll be getting in/out of a lifted XK :)

cico7
07-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Try a different color....maybe body match the color.....

LWM
07-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I was thinking about this a bit today.... I love where you and Doc are going with the sliders, but had an idea to make them a bit more useful and "different". It would be really cool if there were two platforms (per say) that would act as good steps, then connect the platforms with the tube to complete the "side" protection.

Because they bolt to the side of the fender and the fender is so thin I do not think they would support much weight without bending.

Matt
07-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Lol you do know this is the rock slider thread.... not the tube fender flare thread right? Look at the pictures I quoted. :p

Sal-XK
07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Hahahah that's funny I've done that before to.

LWM
07-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Lol you do know this is the rock slider thread.... not the tube fender flare thread right? Look at the pictures I quoted. :p

Hahahah that's funny I've done that before to.

Just finished an 18 hour shift with the All Star Game in there somewhere....

The sliders were designed with the intention of installing a dimple pressed sheet of metal to act as a step.

Sal-XK
07-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Does Doc have an estimate on a finished product? I can't go wheeling until I get something.

LWM
07-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Does Doc have an estimate on a finished product? I can't go wheeling until I get something.

I will stop by tomorrow and ask him.

IamJEEP
07-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Will these be "bolt on" or " weld on"?

Matt
07-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Looks like they're trying to make them bolt on. Docs working on how they're going to install now.

IamJEEP
07-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Cool, kinda would lke to see a little upward angle on them, bit they are looking nice!

Sal-XK
07-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Bolt on or weld on doesn't matter to me. From the pictures shown I think I will be asking to tweak the design a little bit. I would want them up as high as possible so the door cleared and also want them to stick out as far as possible as well.

Sal-XK
07-14-2011, 08:56 AM
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like there up as high as they can go. I just can't tell how far they stick out.

LWM
07-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Cool, kinda would lke to see a little upward angle on them, bit they are looking nice!

It was hard to see in the photo but they are at a 17 degree angle.

LWM
07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Bolt on or weld on doesn't matter to me. From the pictures shown I think I will be asking to tweak the design a little bit. I would want them up as high as possible so the door cleared and also want them to stick out as far as possible as well.

It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like there up as high as they can go. I just can't tell how far they stick out.

They will go up a little more (where being held up by the floor jack) and they extend approximatley 6"

Sal-XK
07-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I know you have the spacers on your XK. Do they come out even with your tires? Or do they go past your tires?

LWM
07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
I know you have the spacers on your XK. Do they come out even with your tires? Or do they go past your tires?

I would have to wait until completed but they look pretty even.

XK N00b
07-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Got the 4XG sliders on today.
Before:
During:
After:

Whole job took about 2 hours (solo) All went fairly smooth. They look great. Only mild complaint being that instructions and picture indicate screws to attach upper portion of the slider to the inside of the door and pop rivets were sent instead. Can't wait to get out and beat them up a bit.

pjmjr508
07-16-2011, 10:59 PM
looks great

Matt
07-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Wow, those are the best pictures i've seen yet that show how much wider the 4xG sliders are. That's a very solid product right there!

Doc in AZ
07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
here's my two cents... lol

i just saw a set of the 4x sliders today, i have always liked how they were a formed piece and had a very stock look to them, but... they only rivet inside the door sill & they are just aluminum rivets at that. i think riv-nuts would be a much stronger alternative.

as for our sliders, if you have ever taken off the plastic below the doors you have seen it's all angled under there. these sit against the sheet metal at a 17* angle as jon mentioned before, then the nerf bars end up coming straight out parallel to the ground. they go just far enough below the pinch seam to protect it but still allow for plenty of ground clearance. they are bolt on, and there are a lot of bolts to make sure it's rock solid. i can build them with or without the nerf bars, your choice. it looks like price point will be about $500 plus shipping. they will be shipping out raw, paint is up to you.

on a side note, if you guys have sliders like the 4X and would like to add nerf bars we make just those and you can weld them on yourself.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/20110719142740-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/20110719142725-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/20110719142654-1.jpg

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 02:48 PM
So $500.00 with the nerf bars? or would there be a reduced cost without them. I think they look great, any way to make the slider flat and the nerf bar angled up? Just wanting to know if they are built to order or how this will work. Been in the market for these since I got the Jeep and I really like these.

Doc in AZ
07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
if i make them flat you will have the same problem as the sliders we replaced... they have no support at the outter edge and once you hit something it will bend upward and tweak the body panels. without the nerf bars it would be about $400. they will be built to order, we typically have about a 4-6 week lead for appointments to do your build. i hate to beat a dead horse here, but if you guys can get together on this, or anything i build, i'll get you a better price if we can do a run of at least 5 items, 10 would be better for all of us for both price and production ease.

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey that sounds great. I was thinking that the angle would deflect any object to the far edge of nerf bar and that would leverage the most force. Sounds like you know much better than myself, I am going to start a group buy thread for this.

NeilSmith
07-19-2011, 05:36 PM
So, how is the mounting different from the other brand ? How is it supported directly under the outer rocker. In teh last pic, it looks as though the square tube is cocked at an angle. Is it ? I would like it to be straight and level. I havent seen the 4X parts in person but I like the look. My concern is the way they mount and having any strength. I also dont like having the screws ( or rivets - WTF ? ) in my door jamb.

Holaday07 4.7
07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
From what he was saying above, I guess to mount them flat makes them weaker. Maybe if Doc posts pics of the mounting it will make more sense. I have never seen sliders that were angled like that unless someone was Boatsiding the rockers. If they work then awesome, everything else about them looks good to me.

Sal-XK
07-19-2011, 05:53 PM
The angle thing threw me for a loop as well. But Doc knows his stuff so if its like that its like that for a reasons I'm sure.

XK N00b
07-19-2011, 06:58 PM
I was in Doc's shop this morning and seeing the angle in person make sense. The underside of the XK under the doors is not flat/level/parallel to the ground. It angles upward to the doors. Doc's sliders look very solid and would mount flat to the bottom of the XK matching the factory body angle. Then the 17* degree angle is on the nerf bar itself so when installed the nerf sits flat and parallel to the ground. I really like Doc's sliders but they were not attached to Jon's XK when I was there so I couldn't tell you how they mounted to the XK itself

XK N00b
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Also, looking at the pictures, since the boxed frame does not sit flat and level it would seem to me that it would minimize surface area contact on rocks and cause less friction dragging over them

LWM
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I will go back again tomorrow when they are finished and paint them before the are installed, I will get some photos for sharing and then install them for Camp Commander.

Doc in AZ
07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
You guys are so funny

These are like a mini boatside rocker. The rock sliders are at an angle, the bottom of the truck is at an angle, so the rock slider sits against the bottom of the body and touches it. This does a couple things, one the rock slider is supported all the way from front to rear by the unibody. This is much better than a rock slider that is fastened to the frame and has a long stanchion that is easily bent. The whole passenger side of this jeep is tweaked upwards from sliders that bent. Secondly the unibody is now also being supported by the rock slider, this helps reduce, but will not eliminate, some of the body twist the unibodies are known for

Matt
07-24-2011, 06:00 AM
I am interested in seeing where this goes. Also, as with all of the other great mods being worked on, looking forward to more pictures :cool:

I will say this, I like how 4XG mounts theirs as well. They basically clamp it to the entire pinch weld with through bolts and a thick steel L-bracket on the other side. Pinch welds on these vehicles are very strong.. and with a setup like this you'd have to bend the entire pinch weld at the same time, which I dont really see happening.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/11/053JPG-1.jpg

In any case, i'm glad to see another option! Especially since I really like the steps and added protection from Doc's. It's going to be a very tough choice when i'm ready to put sliders on! (and that's a good thing)

HueyPilotVN
07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Jon said I could post these.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/309-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/312-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/314-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/315-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/3161-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/317-1.jpg
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/318-1.jpg

Omelet
07-30-2011, 10:57 PM
i just saw a set of the 4x sliders today, i have always liked how they were a formed piece and had a very stock look to them, but... they only rivet inside the door sill & they are just aluminum rivets at that. i think riv-nuts would be a much stronger alternative.

I know Matt already posted up a pick of the underside of the 4xGuard rails, but I thought I would add to it.

The rivets are not what is holding the rails on. There are 6 grade 8 bolts per side that go through the pinch weld using holes that are already there and then through the included L bracket.

This is what the rocker looks like after removing the plastic:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/19c8ed41-1.jpg

As you can see after the pinch weld the rocker angles up then cuts in where it meets up with the door openings. The sliders cup over this entire area. You can actually place them over the rocker and they will stay in place (makes instal quite easy). Then you drill small holes into the top of the rocker and install the aluminum(noncorrosive) rivets. At least that is what is included now that the cost of the zinc coated screws went up in price.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/07/7d0c74e3-1.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that other companies are making products for us. And I have nothing against the other designs. I just don't want everyone thinking that the 4xGuard rail might fall off because they are only installed using aluminum rivets.

LWM
07-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the clarification!

Matt
07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Sorry i didnt make that very clear in my post... i meant to point out the fact that they're through bolted with high grade bolts, not just aluminum rivets. There is no question in my mind that they are a very solid product based on how they're mounted.

Tymac
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Ask p@55w0rd how well that mounting system worked for him. He has the pics to show what happened.

In all honesty they can take a light hit and sliding, but the crud I throw and have thrown at them on the last trip would have wadded them right into the fender and bent the snot out of the rocker mounting area. Huey's grandson took a pic of my sliders suspending my truck off the ground when I ran it fender high between 2 boulders on Chinaman Gulch. I wouldn't have done it with any that mount to the top of the rocker panel.

Just my .02, but I like the way mine and Knappster's mount.

ped4599
08-10-2011, 02:56 AM
Ask p@55w0rd how well that mounting system worked for him. He has the pics to show what happened.

In all honesty they can take a light hit and sliding, but the crud I throw and have thrown at them on the last trip would have wadded them right into the fender and bent the snot out of the rocker mounting area. Huey's grandson took a pic of my sliders suspending my truck off the ground when I ran it fender high between 2 boulders on Chinaman Gulch. I wouldn't have done it with any that mount to the top of the rocker panel.

Just my .02, but I like the way mine and Knappster's mount.

I did it with 4xG sideguards. Also dropped off the entry point to Grizzly lake using the sliders...with no issues other than paint tranferred tot he rocks.I suppose it could pull out of the rocker panel but would need an extreme hit. I know Trialbyfire had this issue from befor WCCC but i am not sure what he did to cause it.

Tymac
08-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe someone will use a triple mounting system to make them sleek and strong as a bull.

J, I was really surprised yours held up as well as they did. Everytime I saw you bump them I thought about the nuts pulling out of the metal.

Holaday07 4.7
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
So the 4xG ones are no good, if you actually use them. What ones do you have Tymac. I dont want something that will cause more damage.

El Cid
08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Just for a bit of reference information, I would not recommend referencing p@55word's p@5t experience with those of the Side Guard 2. As I explained in the "other" forum at one point, the fellow who made p@55word's rails built them with no internal gusseting, no external stiffener, no internal stiffener, and seemingly without any sense of the engineering behind the bends in the steel. I would have been shocked if they hadn't bent all to heck!

Also, quite contrary to what Doc says, the attachment points along the top edge of the Side Guard do not hold the weight of the vehicle. (Doc seems a smart fellow, so I'm assuming he just didn't look at them very closely before making that accusation.) The attachment points on the top side almost entirely aesthetic. On one side of our WK test rig -- the one we like to bounce on things -- we have only the bottom bolts attached, nothing on the top side. It hasn't been the slightest problem.

For what it's worth, the engineers at Jeep apparently, um, agree with our engineering (http://moparestore.trademotion.com/moparimages/accessory%20catalog/images/isheets/K6860893.pdf). (I'd like to use another phrase or two for what they've done, but I don't think I can legally do so!)

Holaday07 4.7
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Gotcha, and since I am not part of you guys, it looks like they Screwed you all and stole your design. The Front guard is I got is great, so I did not want to assume anything. Thank you Michael. Oh and I came accross your Blog when googling 4xguard, great read.

Ross
08-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Pulled the plug on the 4xguard rails and the belly guard, as they will soon no longer be in business. I already have the whole 4xguard front brush guard and can't wait to add more of their very well made products to my rig.

Sal-XK
08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Pulled the plug on the 4xguard rails and the belly guard, as they will soon no longer be in business. I already have the whole 4xguard front brush guard and can't wait to add more of their very well made products to my rig.

Sounds good adding parts is always fun. To bad its under these sad circumstances.

Ross
08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree, I really wanted to progressively add their products over time, but when I found out they were going out of business I purchased what I believe to be their two most purpose built products.

pjmjr508
08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
In still need to pick up the front skid & rear sliders.
I already have the rest that I want from them. I am talking to a welder to make me front & rear bumpers here that local, cost to much to have them made out of state & shipped here. Hopefully either by the end of the year or the begining of next I should have them on (god willing lol)

El Cid
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
In still need to pick up the front skid & rear sliders.

I don't want to side-track this thread too much, but just FYI: the Rear Sliders are gone and we have less than a handful of the BLACK Front Guards left (we have quite a few more in silver).

Matt
08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
What's the XK rock slider stock looking like?

pjmjr508
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
thanks good to know