PDA

View Full Version : Nag1 Trans on 3.7L is leaky

CmmdrDan
07-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Well its got a slow leak. And I mean slow no puddles or anything it just collects on the bolt heads. Ive head there is a sensor that is prone to leak but I don't see it under there.

Anyone have any idea for me to look. When I had the trans flushed about 5 or 6K ago it was about a quart low. That was at about 40K. Wanna try and get it fixed. I think it is already low cause after it was flushed I would smell burning oil. Well the cat is right under the trans so thats most likely where the smell was coming from. I no longer have that smell. Thanks!

Sal-XK
07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
So it was already leaking before the trans service? Did you get a flush or a pan drop? Just because it was low doesn't mean it was leaking either.

Matt
07-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey man, get under there with some safety glasses and spray the hell out of everything with some carb cleaner to clean it all off (while its COLD).

Then go for a spin, and take another look to see if you can get a better idea of where the leak is starting. Go from there.

CmmdrDan
07-07-2011, 08:40 PM
A guy over a jf pointed me in the right direction. I'm 99% sure its that sensor. Majority of the fluid is near the sensor and it is only a 15 dollar 10 min fix. Gonna attempt it this weekend. Oh and I also just applied for a tech school. Gonna try to get ase cert.

Matt
07-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Good stuff.

You planning on starting a career as a tech? Or do you just want to get ASE certs to learn? (FYI, you learn a lot more just by working)

CmmdrDan
07-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Looking to start something. I have experiance with small engines and Ive always been good with my hands. (shut it sal) So I figured it would be a good idea to try it out. If it isnt what I think it is I will still have that knowledge to save myself money.

Matt
07-08-2011, 05:21 AM
For the entry level ASE's, best thing to do is to start working in the shop. Get some hands-on experience with different vehicles brakes and suspension systems (most popular ASE tests).

Not sure what your work status and stuff is. But even if you just start out as an oil change tech and cleaning the floors, and shadowing some of the more experienced techs... you'll move up the chain in no time by being respectful and ready to learn.

If you go and get your ASE's and then walk into a shop with practically no real hands on experience (working on our own vehicles doesn't really count, shop environments are completely different), you're not going to get very far. I've trained my fair share of techs... the ones who make it are the ones who aren't "too good to sweep the floors or stack tires". That's also how I started. Even though I grew up building cars/trucks/etc and was in my neighbors auto shop every weekend, when i was old enough to work i started out as an oil change tech. When I wasn't busy I would hang with the top techs and give them a hand, ask questions, etc. I would also help them solve issues they didn't understand (thats the engineer part of me).

CmmdrDan
07-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Good points. My biggest problem is there are only really quick lube places around..I am a great hands on learner. I usually only have to be showed something once, maybe twice to understand how to do it. Actually this is my biggest problem, I make 12 bucks an hour now and I can't really go lower than that. Starting at a new place as the low man will most likely only net me 10 an hour. Blows.

Matt
07-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Yup, that's the hard part about it. You'll have to decide for yourself what's better long term. How much room for growth is there in your current job compared to moving up the chain and being a tech in a shop or a dealership. Tech's, primarily good ones, can make a lot of money. Just some things to think about.

How old are you?

CmmdrDan
07-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Ill be 22 at the end of the month..hmm

Matt
07-08-2011, 05:52 AM
And what do you currently do? Is there a lot of room for growth?

CmmdrDan
07-08-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm gonna have to go with no..but I'm not exactly sure just started here a littke over a month ago. Its a hvac supply warehouse. I run the warehouse and delivers pretty much.

Matt
07-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Ah.... yeah, being 22 i'd say its about time to try and get into a more long term "trade" if you can.

Honestly, as long as you put forth a good effort, it won't be long until you're making much more than $12/hr as a tech. Most shops/dealerships have programs where they send you for ASE training as well.

CmmdrDan
07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
My girlfriend has been freaking out lately cause I don't have a plan for the future. Im gonna start filling out apts for some dealers and some places.

Matt
07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Well now you have a plan!! https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

CmmdrDan
07-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Plans are always easier said..
Got to set myself up to suceed!