PDA

View Full Version : OME vs Budget Boost

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Do we have any regulars here with an OME lift? I don't recall anyone, I'd love to see some pics to compare the two. I know there are a handful of WK's that have OME but I'm XK bias :p

And I can't search for OME.. it's too short.

Matt
07-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Looks wise they're not going to be drastically different... if at all.

If you can afford the OME, that's the way to go. As you add on skids, racks, etc, those heavier springs are worth their weight in gold.

But if you can't justify the money up front, you can't beat $150 for a spacer kit to get ya started!

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 06:14 PM
I already have a 2.25 RRO BB, but I'm thinking shocks and struts are worn out.. so I'm still trying to justify the extra cost of just going with OME stuff. I've got pretty much full armor at this point so it makes sense from a weight standpoint, but it's still a pretty hefty price premium over stock replacement parts.

pjmjr508
07-30-2011, 06:30 PM
same as hoaxci5 I am feeling the weight of the armor & thinking of switching out the RC budget lift I have for the full HD OEM lift.

07JeepXK
07-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I have the Old Man Emu suspension lift on my XK. I installed it in late February and I absolutely love it. However, if I were to do it all over again I think I would have went with the MED duty coils. The HD coils make a very stiff ride. Other then that, no complaints. Previously I had a 2 icnh BDS spacer lift with Bilstein HD struts and 5150 rear shocks. The Bilsteins were absolutely garbage and blew out several months after install. As far as looks, the only difference is the OME lift will make the XK sit a hair tall. At least thats what I experienced when I swapped the kits out.

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Do you happen to have OME and BDS pics?

Are you figuring maybe 1/2" difference between the two?
You have skids and belly guard, but not front guard or rock sliders? (just trying to figure weight difference since I have both of those and was looking hard at HD)

Sal-XK
07-30-2011, 07:10 PM
FWIW any thing is a better lift then spacers. Spacers are just so affordable to get started out in things but should be replaced when you can if you're off roading.

07JeepXK
07-30-2011, 07:12 PM
I dont believe that I have any pictures since the OME install. At least none showing ride height. As far as the BDS, there are many pictures scattered around between my two garage threads on this forum and jeepcommander.com
I'd say a good 1/2 inch between the two kits. But like I said I went with the HD coils. Not sure what results you would get if you want with the MED duty coils. No front guard or sliders, but the coils are made to with stand heavy weight from winch bumpers without sagging. So a little armor wont hurt anything.

Matt
07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I plan on getting the OME HD setups when its time for new struts up front. I went with the RC kit because my XK only had 25k miles on it... so it really wasn't worth the price to me at that time.

But when its time for new struts, i'm not going to tear down the entire front end to reinstall spacers... might as well do it right at that point and get all new springs to help compensate for weight of add-ons. Hell, I lost 1/2" up front from my 4xG Matrix, lights and front skid.

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 07:16 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fwit

It's $760 for the full OME kit, or only about $300 for new struts and shocks. So an extra $460 for a little more height, and better ride I assume, but I don't know how much better since I'm sure my current setup is worn.

Matt
07-30-2011, 07:17 PM
FWIW any thing is a better lift then spacers. Spacers are just so affordable to get started out in things but should be replaced when you can if you're off roading.

Not really. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you're not carrying extra weight and just want 2 more inches for some extra tire clearance to go offroad AND want to retain the factory ride (some people like the softer ride of the factory suspension), then the lift spacers fit the bill.

In terms of offroading, there's really not a huge benefit to the OME kit other than a bit less deflection when coming off obstacles. But hell, the load levelers will solve that :)

Matt
07-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Ride is qualitative, not quantitative. So it'll be a better ride for some and a worse ride for others.

The benefit to me is load capacity. I don't like how 150-200 lbs makes my front drop a full 1/2". So regardless, i'll be getting the front springs/struts.

I actually may just do the OME up front and keep the stock springs/spacers in the rear coupled with the longer load leveler shocks that Sal put on.

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Rear OME shocks are $83 each, from what I've been seeing the monroe load levelers are $100 for 2.. Maybe OME all around with rear Monroe LLers. Save a few bucks get a little rake setup and have the best of both worlds?

Matt
07-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Rear OME shocks are $83 each, from what I've been seeing the monroe load levelers are $100 for 2.. Maybe OME all around with rear Monroe LLers. Save a few bucks get a little rake setup and have the best of both worlds?

Pretty much what I was thinking. Hell, I probably wont bother with the OME springs for the rear either.... the Monroe shocks are plenty for our carrying capacity.

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I just figure if I get the rear OME springs I can recoup that cost since I could sell the whole RRO lift for pretty close to the cost of the rear springs.

Matt
07-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Do it https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

hoaxci5
07-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Can't spend any money until after my Alaska vacation next month :) Then once we settle out with what we've spent on that I need to figure on new computer and OME lift.

AJeepZJ
07-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Going on a year of riding with OME upgrade. I've never really shared my thoughts with it, and/or how it has improved my offroad capability.

We all know QT1 is the baby of the 3 4x4 systems - But this 'baby' has the ability to bite. The OME upgrade really wakes the QT1 system up and gives it what I call some... "MMPH". Gives my WK some leverage. We all know this system is only amazing as long as those wheels are planted. In the Snow, Mud, and Sand - the system is like breakfast in bed. It can get by with 3 wheels, I've done it...But 2 wheels? forget it. The OME provides better flex, and more clearance. This may not apply to you Hoaxci - but, for those ESPECIALLY running QTI - suspension articulation is our friend, OME provides better articulation. OME is your friend. :)

aj

Matt
07-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Nothing against the OME kit, but unless the struts fully extended length is 2-3" longer than the stock struts, they don't actually provide more articulation. From the pics and info I've seen, they're about the same overall length and provide all of the lift via a higher spring rate. Would love more details if this incorrect.

AJeepZJ
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
they provide about 1-2" in additional flex. Certainly not 3".

Matt
07-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Did you measure it? I only ask because I remember seeing a picture of then side by side to stock and they didn't look much longer, if at all, in the picture.

And fwiw, putting a 2" spacer in allows the suspension to drop that much extra as well; thereby more articulation. Fully compressed length is 2" longer though which prevents the tire from stuffing as far..... however if you're running larger tires you don't want the tires to stuff as far as stock or you'll rub.

Again, nothing against OME. Just want to clarify to those who aren't as suspension literate that spacers actually provide more articulation than stock as well. Not sure if the overall suspension travel is much different either... if the OME provide ~2" more travel downward and have more overall travel range (fully compressed to fully extended), then you'd be able to stuff that tire further than you'll want.

With all that said... I still like the OME. they're well known for combining the proper spring rates and damping ratios for good ride comfort and excellent off road performance.

AJeepZJ
08-01-2011, 04:41 AM
lol - I'm no spokes person for OME so no need to apologize. I enjoy being able to speak freely. I measured it sometime last year and had it on a spreadsheet but that computer's hard-drive failed. (How convenient) lol. But I will remeasure and toss them up, maybe a stocker will throw there's up as well.

Matt
08-01-2011, 05:06 AM
Lol I hear ya man. I mean regardless, OME or BB is going to perform better than stock. I just don't think there's a major articulation advantage between the OME and BB.

But it would be good to have some actual measurements. In about a week ill be doing my 5k maintenance and will measure how far the fully extended suspension drop is from hub to fender. Would be great to get another XK to take the same measurement (might be different than the WK due to fender shape).

I'm all for more information. One thing that I know happens with aftermarket parts is sometimes its hard to find the line between reality and hype. So when in doubt, actual measurements and data is the way to go. Does OME list the compressed / extended lengths for their strut assemblies? Could probably compare those to some stock replacements (bilstein or monroe)

Sal-XK
08-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Not sure if I am understanding this correctly. A 2" suspension lift has no more articulation then a 2" spacer lift? Doesn't the spacer put the suspension 2" out of spec. In my mind I see the suspension lift being superior but I'm no engineer either. If you add a spacer on top of a strut that has only 5" of travel that number don't change much except for the downward travel correct, the down being less because the position the spacer puts everything at? Putting a longer strut on to give you lift wouldn't that mean more suspension travel? I seen AJ's WK being wheeled along side other WK's and XK's for that matter and I can tell you he had less issues then the spacer lift guys. It was obvious while guiding him his tires stayed planted were others had a tire or two of the ground. This observation tells me that the OME suspension lift is far better then the spacer lift.

Matt
08-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Sal, the OME is not a full suspension lift.

The overall down travel of these systems is determined by the overall strut length. For the 2" spacer lift, the suspension fully extended will be 2" further than stock. For the OME strut/spring lift, the suspension will extend further than stock only by the overall difference in strut lenght between the stock and OME struts. For example if the overall length of the OME struts are equal to stock struts, then the tire wont drop any further than a stock strut would allow. I have a feeling that's not the case, but I also doubt that the OME will allow the tire to extend further than a 2" spacer does.

Here's a way to visualize it. Pick the vehicle up in the air thereby letting the suspension extend fully. Then, unbolted the struts. The suspension drops further. After installing the 2" spacers, the suspension will still be dropped 2" further than a stock vehicle. Same goes for the OME.... once its all put together the suspension will be dropped by however much longer the OME struts are than stock.

Offroading capabilities the OME has benefits other than articulation. ... lol people just love that word because it sounds cool. The real benefit comes from the spring rates and valving. When going over rocks and obstacles, the soft stock suspension deflects more, thereby resulting in momentary losses of ground clearance. The OME kits maintain their ride height better in offroading conditions.

Matt
08-01-2011, 07:58 AM
To add to that, as weight shifts to the front or rear (depending on ascending or descending), the higher spring rates of the OMEs will result in less deflection and thereby maintain better ground clearance.

Like I said, I'm a fan of the OME kit.... I'm not knocking it at all. Just pointing out the real reasons its better. It doesn't really give you "more travel" or "more articulation" than a BB, it just maintains its ride height while offroading a lot better (which may look like better travel)

Sal-XK
08-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Ok so now I can't use the word articulation thanks, and I learned to spell that too :(. So WHEEL TRAVEL LOL should be more with the OME then because it should be longer then the stock strut to give the jeep a lift? Even if it's only spring rate and such or what ever it is doing the WK with the OME lift seemed to me anyway to stay better planted on the trail then the spacer guys. I'm not sure but I don't think AJ was disconnected either but he will have to chime in on that one because I'm pretty sure he had disconnects all the way around.

Matt
08-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Lol well its not necessarily the longer strut that lifts the Jeep with the OME. Its really the stiffer spring and preload (to make it more confusing) in combination with a strut body that can extend further.

But yeah, its definitely a better setup. To the point that I may run OME HD springs and struts with my RC spacer when I get the 4" SL (if coilovers are too far out of reach... which is likely) in lieu of the stock spring/strut and the huge 4" SL spacer.

Omelet
08-02-2011, 02:14 PM
I have a picture with the length of the OME strut at home. I just took it a couple weeks ago when I tore my front end apart again. I will post it later this evening. That should help you with part of this discussion. If I remember correctly it was somewhere close to 6" for shaft length.

NoMatter
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I would have to agree with 07JeepXK, I too have the OME HD on my rig, I replaced a Rocky Road kit back in March 2010. At times I wonder why I got the HD kit, the ride is kinda stiff on road but off road is where the setup shines. Washboards and small boulder filled trails are traveled with ease with a quicker pace. Total wheel travel seems improved I don't seem to be doin three wheel as often as before and there are new scuffs on the insides of the rear wheel flares, I really need to extend those bumpstops. When the Jeep is loaded with people and gear is when you can really see how they designed the spring rate to perform perfect with additional weight. I am very happy with my HD springs, I hope on adding a winch so hopefully that additional load will help the on road pleasure. As for the rear I really noticed an improvement when towing my popup camper the rig stays level and my trailer seems to track better. My only complaint.. The passenger side rear sits a 3/8 to 1/2" lower than the other corners regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. The two rear springs are diiferent height and I placed the taller on on the drivers side as the directions stated, guess I'll just have to add a trim spacer to even it out. I bought my kit from 4WD hardware (4wheel parts). I picked it up same day, everything was in stock down in Denver. 5% off with the JU code was a major bonus.