Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering purchasing a new digital camera...

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Considering purchasing a new digital camera...

WCCC 2011 showed me that I really am in the need for a new camera. Can anyone recommend a fairly priced entry level digital camera?

I was looking at this one: Canon Rebel T3

Last edited by Knappster; 08-02-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I have the previous version of that the t2i and love it. Auto modes work great, and if you are into manual photography the manual modes are there and powerful.

Do you have specific concerns or questions about it?

(edit: I jumped the gun a little, I thought it was the t3i, the t3 is a step down but I'm not sure what the difference between the two is off hand.)
    Last edited by hoaxci5; 08-02-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I saw the T3 on Amazon but I am open too any suggestion as I too cannot tell you the difference in the T3 & the T3i or any other for that matter.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

The difference appears to be a slower processor, so less frames per second in burst mode. Less megapixels (still plenty big for 8x10's or maybe even larger), and smaller lcd screen.

Overall for a beginner it would still be plenty, and save you a few bucks.

Are you sold on the idea of an SLR? Don't get me wrong I love mine, but it's not going to fit in your pocket so will you still bring it on trips with you if you have to have an extra bag?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    Are you sold on the idea of an SLR? Don't get me wrong I love mine, but it's not going to fit in your pocket so will you still bring it on trips with you if you have to have an extra bag?
    I do not have to have a SLR, I just want to make sure that I don't buy something so basic that I regret not going bigger. I am open to any and all suggestions (just don't suggest the Emprex 7.0 mega pixel as that is what I currently own).

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If the one you have ain't cutting it any more you might as well move up to the SLR. I feel hand cuffed using these basic digital cameras. There not as convenient to carry but you can let your imagination run free when deciding how to take a picture. It takes time to learn how to use it but it's worth it when you see the picture.

I don't disagree at all Sal, I love my SLR, but I just went through this with my mom. She basically told me that she wouldn't take it if it didn't fit in her pocket, which I totally understand. You can still get a really good point and shoot with a nice long zoom for under $500.

However if size isn't an issue (thats what she said?) I'd get an SLR all day long. I personally like Canon, but thats also what I've always owned. The problem with picking an SLR is if you start buying other add-ons you will always want to stay with your starting brand so that those add-ons can be used on your new camera. Personally because of all the extras I think I'd stay with either Canon or Nikon.

I agree for just point and shoot stay with the pocket size cameras. Don't move up in camera unless you plan on learning shoot beyond just pressing the botton. But the places we all travel to your first decent pic will get you addicted photography.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I had a Canon AE-1 for a long time but with the digital age I sold it to a high school student in my son's photography class. I sold the camera body, 2 extra lens, flash, auto winder, filters, hard case, etc. for $50.00

I like being able to adjust the photo but it has been a lot of years since I even tried. I forgot more than I currently know.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    I had a Canon AE-1 for a long time but with the digital age I sold it to a high school student in my son's photography class. I sold the camera body, 2 extra lens, flash, auto winder, filters, hard case, etc. for $50.00

I like being able to adjust the photo but it has been a lot of years since I even tried. I forgot more than I currently know.
    I did the same thing man, when it got to hard and expensive to develop film I had a choice learn to develop my own or just give it up. I decided to stop using my camera despite having several scenery shots still hanging up in peoples houses I really enjoyed the hobby. One of these days I'll spend the money and get back into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information