Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering purchasing a new digital camera...

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    I have a Sony DSC-HX100V and love it! I am by far not a photographer, but it is definitely better than the Cannon point and shoot we have. It has most of the features that come with the SLR cameras, but half the price of most. You can do auto or fully manual modes. The pictures are great and it does HD video as well.

Here is the link to Sony's webpage: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666297852

I think I usually see it for around $400 on Amazon or at Best Buy.
    2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki. Rocky Road lift in front (w/bilstein struts), Old Man Emu HD springs in rear (w/Old Man Emu shocks), Goodyear Duratrac 265/70's on stock rims, AFE CAI, all mopar skids. 4xguard front guard, belly guard, rock rails, and rear sliders.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I've had (and still have) a few Fujifilm cameras. I've been very happy with them, and I like that there are dedicated buttons even on their point and clicks. (No buried in menu crap) I have a Z100, (pack of cards sized point 'n' click) a Z1fd, and the HS10.

I replaced my good ol' S9000 with an HS10. That has now been replaced by the HS20, which is the same camera with a few updates.

The lens (in 35mm film equivalent) is a 24mm to 720mm. Nothing else made comes close to that - you go from very wide angle to 30x in a manual zoom lens. It also has IS so you can handhold long shots. Most of the photos I post here are from the HS10.

There are some neat features, some of which I use often. One is the low light mode. I got great shots of the Flavel house in Astoria. The place is too dark to see much with eyeballs let alone use a camera. The low light mode fire off four rapid fire shots, then melds them together. My shots of the dim library look like a well lit room.

I also like the panorama mode. You start the shot, an arrow tells you to keep panning until it's done, then it creates the panorama. Sure, you can stitch later in Adobe, but it's a PITA.

Another cool one is a motion mode. You use a tripod, take the shot at something busy and crawling with people, (a fountain in Rome for example) and the camera takes a series of shots, then edits out the people. (Anything that moves) You end up with a shot of something that looks like you snapped the shot with nobody there.

The HS10 (and HS20) have an electronic viewfinder rather than an SLR setup. I like that myself, as you can put grids for the rule of thirds, portrait boxes, and other shot helping items onscreen. The manual focus mode pops up a box in the middle with an expanded view for a more precise focus. (A screen in screen view)

The camera also takes full 1080p HD video, and does high speed video up to 1,000 FPS. I have some on youtube such as wasps getting sucked up into a vacuum, and bees on a flower. The bee flaps his wings and wobbles away slowly into the air at 480 FPS. (1/8th speed)

My only single gripe with the HS10 is the movie mode is in Quicktime format. (Only because I hate the Apple-crap software that you have to install, with its endless hounding you to update and/or upgrade)

Links:
    Fujifilm's site
    http://www.fujifilm.com/products/dig...nepix_hs20exr/

A review:
    http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...s20exr_review/
    Last edited by Adondo; 08-03-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty ScorpionCrawler's Avatar
    Hate to throw this into the mix but,
    I just bought a Nikon D 5000.
    We have several point and shoots one Cannon and 2 Fujis.
    But we really wanted a DSLR, mostly for sports and vacations.
    The technology in these things is great.
    I really need to go to a class to learn how to use all that it has.
    But out of the box it worked great, and I'm sure the Cannons do as well.
    I bought mine the old fashion way and went to reputable camera store, listened to what they had to say, didn't understand all of it, but listened.
    I paid about $40.00 more than a box store but the info and their help was worth the money.
    I have called there once to ask a question and they were happy to help. So the tech support was worth the extra dough.

Good Luck

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Love my Rebel. The D5000 is awesome as well. I love it when people ask me what photographer i used for stuff when it was just me (and i'm no photographer). Let us know what you choose.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the opinions, I have not picked my camera yet so keep them coming.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Just an update...

I purchased a the Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D from Amazon.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-Giveaway.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1236
    Last edited by Knappster; 04-22-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Just an update...

I purchased a the Canon EOS Rebel T3i 600D from Amazon.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3i-Giveaway.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	1236
    Sweet!!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    thats awesome. My pics changed soo much now that I have this thing
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I thought if I were going to take photos for the store I should step up in quality.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information