Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Los Padres National Forest - Rock Front OHV Area

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    is there any way to unlock the front end? Warn hubs or something? I think it would help with mpg and it you broke somethin in the front diff while wheeling you could finish or get back to camp in 2wd.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    if you do break something in the frontend you can still get back to camp as long as your in 4 lo is the only way I was able to get back to camp when I broke the front half shaft.

now if you break someting in steering this will not apply. At least thats what I have had to do in the past.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    That's interesting, because my problem is only when in 4low. It has no issues in 4hi. I'll make sure to post the video after next weekend..

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    when I broke the half shaft it would not move in 4hi and once it put in 4 lo is when I was able to limp back to camp.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

I wonder if disabling the traction control would have made a difference? A broken half shaft would seem like a whole lot of slipping to sensors.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    The noise happening only in 4LO is interesting. Because I think the front diff operates the same in 4HI until of course there is slip detected then all the fancy stuff in the ELSD kicks in. Mechanically the immediate difference between the two is in the TC. The front is not suppose to lock up just because you go into 4LO it should still operate in the open position until slip occurs. I think I have this right LOL.

sooo no? there is no way to disengage(sp?) the front?
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Yea thats why I thought it was the diff. It doesn't happen always in 4lo, just when on rough terrain. I tried to reproduce it on some flat ground and sand and couldn't.. So I really think it's the diff not locking like it should under load. But how do I get the dealership to understand that? They can't reproduce it (I can't either unless on a nice trail) and when I took it in it also had a torn CV boot, so between that and not being able to reproduce it they came up with some BS. Thats why I HAVE to get video so I can show/explain/make them listen to it.. and just for safe measure I changed the front diff fluid and added the friction modifier (it was in there last time too, but I don't want to take it in and have them tell me my diff hasn't been serviced or something stupid like that)

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    sooo no? there is no way to disengage(sp?) the front?
    Nope, short of pulling drive shafts.. and even then the computer might freak out.

That sucks.

God I have become a horrible speller now that everything auto corrects or has spell check, except the forum. Any way to add that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information