Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Los Padres National Forest - Rock Front OHV Area

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Yes the computer would freak out something fierce if you pulled the front DS. Ok I thought it only happened in 4LO never mind onto a different part then. I'm going to throw my money at the actual CV joint on either end of the half shaft. If it only happens on rough terrain then that would make sense since its the half shaft thats doing all the moving around putting the CV joints at high angles. If one of them is bad or say lost all it's grease it would be upset about being flexed around.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    CV with the hole in the boot got replaced. So I'm almost certain that isn't the issue, but I couldn't reliably reproduce it to prove the CV did or didn't fix it..

Just thinking of you situation and it only happening on good trails so it only happens on extreme articulation. The front diff does not move only the half shafts that connect to it. But I would at least be looking at moving parts and more importantly what moving parts are being stressed out at that amount of wheel movement. What kind of sound is it? High pitch low groan? Constant or intermediate or does it have a rhythm to it.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    It only happens in 4lo, on rough terrain and when turning the steering wheel. It's never made the sound when the steering wheel was straight. It doesn't happen at all in 4hi. And it doesn't happen all the time in 4lo, it's most noticeable on steep uphill sections when turning. Not a full lock turn either, so I highly doubt it's just "binding." The sound is almost like a clicking, it's loud, windows up and I can still hear it. I don't think it's due to articulation, I didn't really have wheels stuffed or flexed out when it was happening, just uphill.. I can't recall if it did it going downhill or not.

The CV boot that was torn got a whole new axle, not just a boot. The front diff recently had both the bushing replaced. Thats about all the details I have right now, when I was under it the other day changing the front diff fluid I didn't notice anything out of whack.

It could be a wheel it til it breaks type of thing.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    So I finally got a new computer and was able to upload some pix from my camera. I didn't take very many, but there are a couple good ones. Enjoy!!!

I didn't start taking any pix until we were at the end of the trail and resting down in a river bed before heading back through. Here are the participants.

Jake, my Dad, and Myself along with family.

A couple shots of my WK and my Dad's JK.

On the way back Jake went through a nice little puddle!

The Approach:

Churning through:

Almost there:

Made it to the other side:

And out:

The trail really wasn't difficult at all. It was quite skinny most of the time so I am sure I added to my pinstripe collection. We are hoping to get back up to the Miller jeep Trail again soon. I would like to wait until it cools off a bit though. It has just been too hot lately! thanks for coming out with us Jake!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Looked like fun always good to get out on the trail they don't all have to be extreme all the time its nice to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Those are nice pics... and very attractive Jeeps. Thanks for sharing.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    great pics
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information