Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: THE Roof Rack Thread (Details and pictures of everyones roof rack)

Member Looking for Dirt
    I'll snap a few more pics this weekend (the time change killed my available daylight!). All in, the unistrut rails/mounts cost me ~$50. More to come, I promise!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    OK.. OK… After over 1 and ½ years I did FINALLY get to install my Defender Roof rack.

For my more detailed installation information and photos > http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ll=1#post46086

I’ve been super busy but after Matt’s request for me to post mine, I decided to take my camera and take a short detour on the way to get my wife some milk! I need to take detours like this more often! Lol. So please excuse all the photos I posted but it was a long wait to finally get it mounted!

Last edited by 1USMC; 11-14-2013 at 08:55 PM.

I am also very happy with the Rigid scene and driving lights! They are also used with a flasher to augment my other rack and vehicle mounted emergency lights.

With the horrible experience I had trying to get this rack, I did end up having a “Happy Ending” of sorts to my story thanks to an unexpected Great customer service experience from Rigid Industries Led Lighting.

If you notice in my installation photos >linked above< all I could afford was the “SR” or single row front 40” driving light and still have enough left over to get lights for 360 deg coverage.

Well after my very long and ridiculous rough time I had before and then after the rack arrived ( see> http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ll=1#post46086 ) I thought it was going to start all over again!

After installing the lights, adjusting them and soon at a major fire they all worked great. But… yes another But… (I was starting to think I was incurably jinxed on this whole rack/light mod!) …the 40” SR front driving light had developed an intermittent problem with one section of the light.ie… it would not always come on!
    Sometimes it would go out then come on again without any reason. Wow.. all this time, money and work and it is still not over!

Now I’m very nervous about contacting Rigid as I have had their lights for going on two years now but only been able to use them a few times in the last month. With all the rotten luck I have had to this point I just knew I was screXXd again!

I sent Rigid an E-mail explaining my situation and crossed my fingers. I was very surprised to hear back from them in less than 30 minutes assuring me that they have a Life Time Warranty and not to worry they would make it right! Wow.. was I dreaming ??

With a few more pleasant phone and e-mail communications with Rigid Industries, they were not just able to expeditiously replace my Single 40” light, but they went out of their way to help work with me, to be able to upgrade to their E series (dual) 40” light!

It has already worked great at a couple of emergency and community events!!!

So sorry for going on so long.. but for those of you who have followed this frustrating story, I just wanted you to let you know that even though it looked like the story would never end, something small but good did come out of it! And a big thanks to Rigid ! There are some good companies out there after all !!
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I love the Defender rack. When I decide to get a rack, I think this will be the one!

Thanks for the pics. It looks great!
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Damn Ron i do love that Defender rack!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Damn Ron i do love that Defender rack!
    Yup... I have always been partial to this rack after first seeing Gulf550's over 2 1/2 years ago. I hope I was able to work all the bugs out for anyone that may now want to order one! It took me over a year and a half but I'm dedicated to my fellow Jeep owners, and someone had to stick it out to the end! Lol..

Oh here is the first photo I saw of the Defender Rack on Gulf550's XK.

Last edited by 1USMC; 11-15-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    2010 Limited > 5.7 > Pearl Black > QDII > 4"¯ Superlift w-SSR > Bilstein HD Struts + 1/4" spacer > RCV cv Axles > JBA 6" Springs + Matt's 1/2" Spacer > BDS adj LCA > 285-65-18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT's > Moto Metal 951 > K&N CAI > Flowmaster 50 > 4xGuard-Front/Belly skids + Grill Hoop w/ Front Receiver + Rear Diff. Guard > PIIA 520 ATP > Front Camera > Steel Armadillo's Rear Bumper/Tire/ Blitz Carrier/Super Sliders +Secure Console > Dual Batteries > OBA > JKS Rear-JBA Front Discos > FlashPaq

I like the fact the sides go out far and over the roof rails. I wish it were a foot longer, but it looks good as-is. It gives a nice chunk of useable real estate up there.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights

I would have considered one if they made it a foot longer also. I have mine mounted as far forward as it would go for both the lights sake and to try and not to cover the satellite antenna. My rear homemade mount for the combo parking, turn and stop lights just barely comes up to its edge now. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to find the time to do another project and try to relocate the antenna if I didn't have to. I hadn't considered my sat antenna when I was first started looking at racks.
    Last edited by 1USMC; 11-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.

I think I remember Adondo writing something about buying a SiriusXM antenna that just plugged in to the box under the second row, so all he did was run it up over the passenger door.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Ross's Avatar
    The best part about the bolt together rack is that you can buy an extra center section to make the rack longer, although at 200$, its probly just cheaper to weld your own center section and bolt it in to extend the length.

My main reason for getting this rack, besides the great deal Superacer gave me, was the fact that it is just as wide if not wider than the roof trusses that hold the mounts. It allows me to fit two kayaks side by side without them hangin' off each side haha.
    2008 3.7L QT-1 dark blue Jeep Commander // 3+" modified OME lift with 3/8" Rocky Road strut spacer // 4" rear SL springs // 265/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs (Load E) // 1.5" spidertraxx spacers // F-150 Monroe Load Levelers // 4xguard matrix, front guard, belly guard, and rock sliders // 130 watt KC Daylighters - 2 // Airflow snorkel // Thrush welded exhaust // Defender Roof Rack with side ladder // Hypertech Max Energy Programmer

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information