Thread: Installed drain plug and temperature sender in transmission pan

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar

Installed drain plug and temperature sender in transmission pan

I changed all of my fluids to synthetic. It took most of the day and as part of the change over I added a drain plug to the transmission pan. I also used a sending unit for my transmission temp gauge instead of the plug.

I had trouble finding a place to do the transmission part of this so I talked a muffler shop guy into doing it today as he was not busy.

I took pictures of the transmission process, the other fluids were pretty simple.

There is no need to remove any of the skid plates to remove the transmission pan.

the pan removed and on the workbench

The inside of the pan, note the round magnet at the bottom of the picture. This is included in your pan to capture metal shavings, be sure to clean it well.

I choose to drill and place the drain plug in the back of the pan where it is protected from being hit by rocks or other trail hazards.

I started with a small pilot hole.

I finished after using three bits with a 1/2 inch hole

The two piece drain plug assembly has a plastic washer between the two sections.

The other side of the assembly.

Showing the sending unit used in place of the drain plug.

I reused the thin rubber gasket as it was in perfect shape. To make sure I added a line of RTV.

The underside of the transmission.

Close up of the magnet placed back in the pan.

View showing the placement of the magnet.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 06-21-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Here is a comparision of the drain plug and the transmission temp sender that I installed instead of the drain plug. I like to monitor the transmission temp in the pan.

The pan installed with the sleeve for the sending wire.

I routed the wire up and thru a hole next to the transmission and then up to the firewall and on to the gauge.
    I was careful to avoid the exhaust or the turning driveshaft.

I installed the temperature gauge in a Carbon Fiber Pod on the left side of the dash along with a Vacuum Gauge.

I showed where to drill thru the firewall and the dash top on a pervious thread.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 06-21-2010 at 01:40 PM.

You can also install a temperature sending unit in a tee inserted in one of the lines that run to the cooler. The line running from the transmission to the cooler would show the highest temps, but it is up to you. You would want to establish a normal temp for either location and then you would know if it is running hot. Also be sure that the "Tee" does not obstruct the flow of fluid in the line. I did the pan because it is a real mess to drain the transmission without a drain plug to first drain most of the fluid. The only drawback it that some mechanic in the future may take the shortcut of not removing the pan when changing the fluid. That is really an oversight function that you need to address.

Thread Information