Heres a recent one :
We have been having a rash of door bell rings at night this summer. You answer the door and nobody there. So last Monday was at the shop late installing my antenna mount and got home a 8:45. As I pulled onto our street my phone rang, it was my wife. She wanted to know where I was at, someone had just rang the door and wouldnt answer her so my wife was going to call the cops but called me instead. Well there just happened to be a group of teens walking away from the house a bit. So I pulled up to them :
Me : Hey guys, yall wouldnt happen to be ringing doorbells and running off would you ?
Them : No ! We were just coming from my house. ( a lie, they dont live on our street )
Me: WEll let me tell you guys a story. It happened last week at midnight and scared my wife. She woke me and I went to the door with a pistol in my hand. If you guys hear who is doing this, tell them it aint cool. Some bad things can happen when you trespass on someone's property in the middle of the night.
Them : Ok, no problem.
Now you have to understand my neighborhood. Its a gated community with 4500 homes, middle -middle upper class. These kids have anything they want and theyre still bored and getting in trouble. If they are brave enough to come on your porch at midnight it would be nothing to reach in your car and grab your ipod or gps. Hopefully I scared them enough that they at least wont ring my bell anymore.