Im all for pistols when it comes to my home invasion deterrence. Shotguns work for some people, but I find that the damage they cause with misses ends up costing more to the average home owner than simply yelling "ive got a gun and you best gtfo as the cops are on the way". Pistols while you may miss the target more, they dont do a large area of damage and most intruders will be near high cost equipment and not in an area where there is just random home stuff. No one steals the picture of your grandma, but that 60" plasma is sure gonna catch their eye.
As for intruders looking to cause personal damage and not just rob... well... figure a shot from anything is going to put them on the defensive. Most likely they have a weapon on them for intimidation purposes if not real injury. Once you fire a shot, they will cover and either return fire or run like hell. Those are difficult encounters regardless... so make that first shot count. I tend to prep myself on occasion as much as possible. Multiple times a week I will wait till its dark as hell and with all the normal lights off, I will navigate my home and work on my night vision and navigation. Being as stealthy as possible as well as tactical in my "room clearing" and knowing every nook and cranny as well as creaky boards. I also do this with alarm clocks that will wake me in the night and I do this exercise. My wife hates it, but she understands and supports it. She also knows that if I ever jump out of bed, hit the combo on my bedside gun safe... that she immediately grabs her phone and dials 911 and waits to hit "call" till i give her the signal.

Most robbing intruders will have some sort of light with them, so their night vision will not be that great. Use it to your advantage. Recon your targets, strategize your approach, breathe, engage.

Little story...

My wife and I just bought our first home. We literally moved in on July 1st. As we were moving in, we had the security screen door closed but the front door open. Our neighborhood is one of those where no soliciting of any kind is allowed, which is great. But we heard some voices on the front porch. We walked down and a guy was standing there with a clipboard. He started up on his speech about being a "second chance" person and I told him whatever he was selling, I was not interested. He did not take No for an answer and tried showing he was telling the truth by displaying a ripped and broken ID that wasnt up long enough to even verify it was him. I explained once more that he needed to leave and he pressured more stating that he wasnt selling anything but needed me to sign a sheet and look at some magazine info. I told him he needed to leave immediately to which he replied that he "knew why" I was telling him no and implying it was the color of his skin and not what he was selling. I told him to hold on for a brief moment, walked over to a box I was unpacking that had my gun cleaning supplies in it... and withdrew my extra NRA sticker. I opened the door and told him to back off my porch, to which he did with puzzled eyes.... and I slapped the sticker on the front window right next to my front door. I then turned and looked at him and asked him politely "Do we have any problems now?". He turned with his friend and walked away. I surveiled and saw the car they drive into the area in, wrote down the identifiers and went on with my business. Have not had a problem since.
I saw a quote one time where a gentleman who was an avid gun owner and enthusiast had a conversation with his neighbor who was very anti-gun. The neighbor made it his business to complain constantly to anyone that would listen to him about how the gun owner was bad for the neighborhood and that by owning a gun, you give power to an intruder as they can take it and slaughter the owners family with them.

The gun owner told the neighbor it would never happen.... then proceeded to place a sign in his front yard that simple said:
"The owner of this house is well armed and trained... My neighbor on the other hand is against weapons of any kind and has a nice TV --->"

Also... I am for pistols simply because it is only myself and my wife in the house and using a 9mm, the penetrating force wont injure people in adjacent homes. I worried more about that in the apartments and my wife is always in the safest location in the house.