Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Defence Discussion

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    A flash light will also give your position away making it loads easier to shoot you and also I can tell were you're looking because you will starring where ever the light is pointed. Racking the shotgun yes it is a unmistakable sound and will send most people running but so will you announcing you have a gun. The reason I think leaving chamber empty so you can rack it is a good idea because that pause it takes you to rack it is time for you to think and avoid mistakes. Lets face it most people breaking in your house think its empty and will split when you start moving. The home invaders will take a little more convincing to leave like starring down the barrel of a tricked out shotgun

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    A flash light will also give your position away making it loads easier to shoot you and also I can tell were you're looking because you will starring where ever the light is pointed.
    And kills your night vision...

Long ago and far away, I too had a shotgun for home defence. One night I was awaken by the sound of someone coming in the front door.
    I had a double barrel with a 16" barrel and bird shot. I braced myself against the corner of the door frame, barrel pointed down the hall
    waiting to see what was going to happen next.

A light popped on in the living room.....don't know this for cerrtain, but I don't think too many burglars turn on room lights when they enter.

A friend of mine starts walking down the hall, stops and see me, with my sawed off doublebarrel shotgun in hand, pointed at him.
    He freaked.....

Several years later, we were to go hunting on a Saturday morning and he came to my place about 2 in the morning.....He opened the door, and yelled hey pirtle it's me.
    He reminded me of our earlier excitement, saying he knows better than to just walk in 'cause he has shotguns!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    A flash light will also give your position away making it loads easier to shoot you and also I can tell were you're looking because you will starring where ever the light is pointed. Racking the shotgun yes it is a unmistakable sound and will send most people running but so will you announcing you have a gun. The reason I think leaving chamber empty so you can rack it is a good idea because that pause it takes you to rack it is time for you to think and avoid mistakes. Lets face it most people breaking in your house think its empty and will split when you start moving. The home invaders will take a little more convincing to leave like starring down the barrel of a tricked out shotgun
    This is true, but I would rather have the light and not shoot at shadows. I don't know about your house, but one quick sweep of the light will show my whole room quickly.

Can you get a "wide angle" light? Something that lights up more area.

I'd rather not chamber a round till I'm completely sure I heard an intruder, but that's just me.
    Last edited by IamJEEP; 08-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    And kills your night vision...!
    You sleep with night vision goggles? LOL..
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

. The reason I think leaving chamber empty so you can rack it is a good idea because that pause it takes you to rack it is time for you to think and avoid mistakes.
    Very good point, I totally agree with this statement.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    They make police flashlights..Well i guess they are just flashlights..but they are a dual click. First click is just a standard beam. Second click is a strobe that will blind and confuse the bad guy.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    As a LEO I can tell you that we do NOT enter a home or search an area with our lights on, we use them just to help us know where we are and identify subjects, if you use a light (and I suggest you don't) they you need one with a push button that you can turn on and off quickly and then move immediately after you have used your light so the bad guy does not know where you are.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Can you get a "wide angle" light? Something that lights up more area.
    yeah, we call that interior lighting, don't know what the people south of the (Ohio) border call it.
    Last edited by cico7; 08-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    You sleep with night vision goggles? LOL..
    you never know who is trying to slip in at night......so yeah....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If you need light which I still feel is advantage bad guy just turn the lights on. He's coming in from the outside street lights and headlights have his eyes in that middle ground another reason having your outside house lights on are good one more thing to kill his night vision. He is also entering an unfamiliar place as well. You are just waking up so your night vision should be good for what ever light is coming into your house which is advantage towards you plus you knowing the layout is another advantage to you. You know where he is by sound and can stalk a corner or intersections where he must come past based on his location advantage you again. Look we don't call the first person threw the door the dead man spot for nothing. I feel using lights takes most of those advantages away from you. The last time my alarm went off the first thing I did was get count of my family. Hit the wife check she's there kicked in my daughters room check she's there and still sleeping LOL My sons room not there ok pause situation changes kids under 3' tall no barrel exposure below my shoulders check. This all took about 4 seconds to accomplish about the amount of time a intruder needed to recover from the alarm making him deaf then give him another second or two to decide if he is leaving or continuing on at which point I'm ready for him. Weapon on safe finger off trigger that gives you time to think about what you're doing. That second it takes to flip the safety and transition to the trigger allows you to soak in your sight picture and make a good shooting decision.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information