Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a problem!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

I have a problem!

The air in my wife's 2006 for five hundred stopped working. So I figured drop it off get quote and see whats wrong maybe its low on juice or it developed a leak no big deal. Well they call me and of course the compressor is shot go figure. Then his spits out a $1400 repair cost for it WTF! Now I look them up and rock auto has them for less then 2 bills he says its a $700 part. Any way she also needs new tires which I've been shopping for already that's $600 plus her 90k service is up and there are a couple of things I won't do my self so thats another at least few hundo I'm thinking. So I'm looking at putting $2700 into a car worth about $7000. Just not worth it to me to do that I don't think. How hard can it be to replace the compressor I have never worked on AC before so I have no idea. This has me thinking just get her a new one Were looking at a Jetta or Ford Fusion right now. Unless I can reasonably repair this myself I think the wife gets a new car which means I'm still out $3k for down payment. I wish it was an opportunity to get her a JK but the plan was to get her that and she could drive the ford for work she drives a lot so MPG is important. So not sure what in the heck to do. I finally get a fist full of cash again and poof life takes it away LOL oh and my PS3 just died tonight with my disc in to.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    $1400 seems kind of steep..... BUT, i've never replaced a compressor on one so im not sure where its located. Hell, I've replaced alternators that were $400-$500 in labor alone because they required dropping the entire subframe of the vehicle. Wonder if its a case like that where they burried the compressor in the bottom rear of the engine and thereby requires a lot of R&R labor?

Ask the tech for a breakdown so we have a better idea of what they're charging.

This don't sound like $700 in labor to me.

Removal & Installation

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
    2. Recover the refrigerant using approved equipment.
    3. Remove the 3 A/C compressor pulley shield bolts and the A/C compressor pulley shield (if equipped).
    4. Remove the drive belt.
    5. Remove the cooling fan assembly.
    6. Remove the lower radiator splash shield.
    7. Remove the lower compressor nut.
    8. To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
    9. Completely loosen the lower compressor stud.
    10. To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).
    11. Completely loosen the lower compressor bolt.
    12. To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
    13. Disconnect the A/C pressure transducer electrical connector.
    14. Disconnect the field coil electrical connector.
    15. Loosen the compressor manifold bolt and position the compressor manifold aside.
    16. Discard the O-ring seals.
    17. To install, tighten to 21 Nm (15 lb-ft).
    18. Remove the upper compressor nut.
    19. To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
    20. Completely loosen the upper compressor stud.
    21. To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).
    22. Completely loosen the upper compressor bolt.
    23. Remove the 2 compressor studs and the 2 compressor bolts.
    24. The A/C compressor must be removed through the opening between the coolant pump and upper radiator support.
    25. Remove the A/C compressor.
    To install:
    1. If a new A/C compressor is to be installed, the clutch assembly must be transferred from the old unit to the new unit.
    2. Install new O-ring seals.
    3. If filtering of the refrigerant system is not to be carried out, lubricate the refrigerant system with the correct amount of clean PAG oil.
    4. Install the A/C compressor.
    5. Install the 2 compressor studs and the 2 compressor bolts and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm), tighten the studs to 80 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
    6. Install the upper compressor nut and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    7. Discard the O-ring seals.
    8. Install the compressor manifold and tighten the bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
    9. Connect the field coil electrical connector.
    10. Connect the A/C pressure transducer electrical connector.
    11. Install the lower compressor bolt and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    12. Install the lower compressor stud and tighten to 80 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
    13. Install the lower compressor nut and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    14. Install the lower radiator splash shield.
    15. Install the cooling fan assembly.
    16. Install the drive belt.
    17. Install the 3 A/C compressor pulley shield bolts and the A/C compressor pulley shield (if equipped).
    18. Recharge the refrigerant system using approved equipment.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Get a second opinion on the compressor. The car still uses the Taurus compressor which is a decent design. My experience with them is the orings between the compressor and the lines start to bleed off.

It's easy enough to change (you did get your 4 doors off and back on) but you'd need a professional shop to recharge the system to keep you from over filling it. Plan to do the drier and expansion tube along with new seals and oil.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah dude... based on that $1400 sounds outrageous. Get a 2nd opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Yeah dude... based on that $1400 sounds outrageous. Get a 2nd opinion.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Also everywhere I check the cost of the part out at I don't see it over $300 and that includes the clutch assembly and new O rings and stuff. I know they have to mark there parts up but come on man $500 mark up that's rough bro. I haven't taken a car in for repair in so long I remember why now.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Geebus Sal - Thats ridiculous.... Just charge the AC in the XJ, let her drive the XK for a little - lol.

No - I wouldn't know where to start - If your're still trying to figure it out by the team I come rolling through Central and Western NC - I can give ya a hand.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I had an independent shop give me the 1200 dance once, compressor was shot...so he said...
    i went to the jeep dealer.
    dealer said he thought it was the switch, which was only about 300. so new switch made it all better.

get a second opinion. a lot of the cost is labor, pumping down the old and disposing of the coolant, then the recharge.
    well, leaks happen......1 down. used parts and self install...2 down.... find an hvac friend and let him recharge it.
    all done.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I was quoted $1,300 to fix the A/C in the wifes P.T. Loser and took it to my local garage mechanic who then fixed it for $60.00 (the shop said compressor, the mechanic replaced a hose that had a hole in it).
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

The wife can't drive the XK the gas would break me for sure. I have a mechanic I used a couple of times years ago he fixed the AC on my mustang for $15. So I'm going to drive out to him its a little ways to get to him but worth it I guess and if he says its the compressor I'm considering doing it my self maybe depending on what his quote is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information