Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting issue

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar

Starting issue

Ok. So I believe it is the battery. But i just went out to start it and it sounded like the starter wasnt engaging. Tried it a couple more times and it started. But it was making a sound like it was the starter not catching the gears right. Matt can you check the book about the starters on the 3.7L's? Thanks Any ideas on what it is? Im gonna pick up a battery tonight. Cause Im sure this is the oem battery.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    If you are on your original battery you are most likely correct, a battery lasting almost 5 years is a good thing but likely to be the cuase of your lack of starting.

There have been starter issues but my money would be on the battery as well.

Most auto parts stores will check the battery for free and let you know if it needs replaced. Wal-Mart has good prices and many after market battries will work inthe space provided for the Commander as the rack is enormous. I have a yellow top in there now.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I'm going to go with the batter don't mess around to long with it just change the thing bro.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    These Jeeps act really weird with a failing or dead battery. Mine died in the middle of downtown Greenville, this time last year. It's no Atlanta or New York - but having a battery die in the middle of an urban area is by no means a picnic. My Jeep was throwing tranny codes, and sensor codes left and right. Then I tried a few things out and isolated it to the battery - So thats what I did - My OEM battery lasted me 4 years. - I tossed in a Mopar battery, didn't know anything about Optima batteries then. She's been fine since.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    On "the other forum" was a battery discussion regarding battery testing. The old testing equipment put a load on the battery
    and that would tell if you if the battery would hold a charge. The new equipment oftens says the battery may be charged, but
    doesnt put a load on the battery. Some of the newer testers are wrong.

The battery is far less expensive to change in time and money than the starter. but 5 yrs or 50,000 miles, time for a new battery.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    On "the other forum" was a battery discussion regarding battery testing. The old testing equipment put a load on the battery
    and that would tell if you if the battery would hold a charge. The new equipment oftens says the battery may be charged, but
    doesnt put a load on the battery. Some of the newer testers are wrong.

The battery is far less expensive to change in time and money than the starter. but 5 yrs or 50,000 miles, time for a new battery.
    That's true my understanding is the new testers use a mathematical equation to determine if the battery is good not actually put a load on the battery so there getting a lot of false positives.

Well I got a new battery last night. I went to auto zone and they wanted 154 bucks for whatever brand. They had an Optima for 169..I didnt get it. Im sorry that is just to much for me right now. Went to walmart and got a 109 dollar battery.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Don't know why I didn't are this thread sooner. Either way my answer would have been "no, I'm not opening the book... you need a new battery" lol.

Maybe that awesome girlfriend of yours will surprise you with a new Optima?
    2010 Black WK, Tint and Only 1.5" spidertrax spacer so far waiting on the OME HD lift

http://www.DJ-CZ.co (just a hobby)

Haha she told me know when I told her the price of the regular autozone one. haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information