Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-treads experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Not sure where you got your stats from, but zero percent of our government (law enforcement) vehicles use retreads. There is no way I am driving at 100 mph on a retread.
    On October 29, 1993, President Clinton signed Executive Order 12873 entitled 'Federal Acquisition, Recycling and Waste Prevention', which mandates the use of retreaded tires on all government vehicles.

Perhaps local municipalities are exempt and this is more federal?
    Last edited by CoreyZ; 08-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    2010 Black WK, Tint and Only 1.5" spidertrax spacer so far waiting on the OME HD lift

http://www.DJ-CZ.co (just a hobby)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    It doesn't mandate that 100% of government tires are retreads. This is what it says:

Sec. 506. Procurement of Re-refined Lubricating
    Oil and Retread Tires. Within 180
    days after the effective date of this order,
    agencies shall implement the EPA procurement
    guidelines for re-refined lubricating oil
    and retread tires.
    (a) Commodity managers shall finalize revisions
    to specifications for re-refined oil and
    retread tires, and develop and issue specifications
    for tire retreading services, as commodity
    managers shall take affirmative steps to
    procure these items in accordance with
    RCRA section 6002.
    (b) Once these items become available,
    fleet managers shall take affirmative steps to
    procure these items in accordance with
    RCRA section 6002.
    From reading the intent of the executive order, these are basically guidelines that should be followed when possible. I would not assume that this order means that every single tire, including steering axles, require the use of retreads.

Edit:
    Doing some google searching because im curious about the difference in tire casings... I've changed thousands of tires and a very common issue that a customer would have with their car pulling or a vibration was the belts separating. So that would be one of my biggest issues going to retreads: not knowing how much longer that casing will last and NOT having a warranty against such a defect. I've read a few statements on websites that commercial truck and bus tire casings are designed for up to 5 retreads... but couldn't find anything specific for passenger car/truck tires.

In doing this little bit of research I came across some info on safety that may make you feel a bit better if you wanted to give retreads a try (FWIW, I still wouldn't get them ... but figured its good info to help you make your own decision):
    http://www.green.ca.gov/EPP/vehicles/RetreadedTires.htm
    Last edited by Matt; 08-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    There are a few guys on the other forum that were running them, I almost bought a set myself. Came accross a set of Rubicon Tires for less, that were not retreads, so I went that way. After doing a ton of research and talking with people that ran them, I would have no problem putting a set on my dd, but thats just me.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information