Thread: Re-treads experience?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My concern is also on safety... however most of the horror stories or "grandpa" experiences are just that, old. While technology increases, so do the process in manufacturing as well as all other processes. Perhaps the retreads have gained enough technology that the process has improved and the safety issue can be much smaller than it was before.

Plus when you think of it, all tires are manufactured in the same way. They are all pieced together and adhered in some manner. So really a re-tread, is nothing more than the standard process of tire manufacturing however some parts of the tire are used and re-conditioned. Its really about half the cost of standard tires where you are paying for the name and advertising. If 80% of the commercial industry, 100% of the government and military use retreads.... why not passenger vehicles?
    2010 Black WK, Tint and Only 1.5" spidertrax spacer so far waiting on the OME HD lift

http://www.DJ-CZ.co (just a hobby)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Manufacturing of a retreading is different than manufacturing of a tire from scratch. There is also a bond between dissimilar rubbers (the OEM case rubber and the retreading rubber).

Also, the "case" of a tire isn't necessary designed to last 20 years or 100k miles. Belts separate as tires get older.... just one of the common failures in "old" tires. I emplore you to carefully read the warranty PDF on the treadwright website.... you'll notice that ONLY their tread manufacturing is covered. If you get a set of their tires and one of the belts separates after 2 miles, you're SOL.

I'm Not 100% sure on this, but I believe that there are laws against using retreads on steering axles of commercial vehicles. Its not a big deal on the other axles because they don't maintain the drive line of the vehicle AND there's 4 tires per axle.

You have to look at ALL factors involved (risk/cost/etc). For commercial vehicles with redundancy on the axles, the risk is low and the cost savings is high.

Edit
    I would also add to that question. Are the cases for commercial and government vehicles designed differently to ensure case stability for a longer life? I'm not sure... I bet theyre designed to last longer than the cases of passenger tires though.
    Last edited by Matt; 08-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyZ View Post
    If 80% of the commercial industry, 100% of the government and military use retreads.... why not passenger vehicles?
    Not sure where you got your stats from, but zero percent of our government (law enforcement) vehicles use retreads. There is no way I am driving at 100 mph on a retread.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    Not sure where you got your stats from, but zero percent of our government (law enforcement) vehicles use retreads. There is no way I am driving at 100 mph on a retread.
    On October 29, 1993, President Clinton signed Executive Order 12873 entitled 'Federal Acquisition, Recycling and Waste Prevention', which mandates the use of retreaded tires on all government vehicles.

Perhaps local municipalities are exempt and this is more federal?
    Last edited by CoreyZ; 08-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    2010 Black WK, Tint and Only 1.5" spidertrax spacer so far waiting on the OME HD lift

http://www.DJ-CZ.co (just a hobby)

It doesn't mandate that 100% of government tires are retreads. This is what it says:

Sec. 506. Procurement of Re-refined Lubricating
    Oil and Retread Tires. Within 180
    days after the effective date of this order,
    agencies shall implement the EPA procurement
    guidelines for re-refined lubricating oil
    and retread tires.
    (a) Commodity managers shall finalize revisions
    to specifications for re-refined oil and
    retread tires, and develop and issue specifications
    for tire retreading services, as commodity
    managers shall take affirmative steps to
    procure these items in accordance with
    RCRA section 6002.
    (b) Once these items become available,
    fleet managers shall take affirmative steps to
    procure these items in accordance with
    RCRA section 6002.
    From reading the intent of the executive order, these are basically guidelines that should be followed when possible. I would not assume that this order means that every single tire, including steering axles, require the use of retreads.

Edit:
    Doing some google searching because im curious about the difference in tire casings... I've changed thousands of tires and a very common issue that a customer would have with their car pulling or a vibration was the belts separating. So that would be one of my biggest issues going to retreads: not knowing how much longer that casing will last and NOT having a warranty against such a defect. I've read a few statements on websites that commercial truck and bus tire casings are designed for up to 5 retreads... but couldn't find anything specific for passenger car/truck tires.

In doing this little bit of research I came across some info on safety that may make you feel a bit better if you wanted to give retreads a try (FWIW, I still wouldn't get them ... but figured its good info to help you make your own decision):
    http://www.green.ca.gov/EPP/vehicles/RetreadedTires.htm
    Last edited by Matt; 08-11-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    There are a few guys on the other forum that were running them, I almost bought a set myself. Came accross a set of Rubicon Tires for less, that were not retreads, so I went that way. After doing a ton of research and talking with people that ran them, I would have no problem putting a set on my dd, but thats just me.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Thread Information