Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Spacer Failure (Fact or Fiction)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

Wheel Spacer Failure (Fact or Fiction)

for a couple reasons... And I can think of right off the top of my head.

All wheel adatptors are NOT created equal - Heat treatment processes do vary among the manufacturing of the adatptors, which obviously affects strength and ductility
    Spidertrax Spacers are not perfect, but they do have the FEWEST failures among available brands - so you are paying for a proven product that works, and as a result you are paying for the name as well. The adaptors aren't powdercoated, they are anondized - Unless you are talking about the price of the adaptors being used to offset the cost of other products they produce.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 08-15-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Ya but how many people do you actually know that have had issues with their spacers? I am not talking about some guy you heard about or your buddy that read about an issue once! I mean you actually know him or even saw the spacer (not a picture). I just ask becasue I never have! And I only know a couple guys that have paid the extra $$$ for the Name. Everyone else has bought a no name set like I did.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Banned Looking for Dirt
    Moneen over JG had a fancy spidertrax fail on him, brand really isn't a big deal. It's the maintenance that's most important, he has a picture of his rear wheel Broken of from a stress crack on the spacer.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    These types of wheel spacers are widely used on our platform and I think that's the only failure I ever heard of. What we don't have is a thread laying out the proper installation and maintenance of wheel spacers. If someone with the knowledge would write a comprehensive thread with pics on that, that would pretty cool and I will make sure its placed in the correct spot and maybe sticky it.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    These types of wheel spacers are widely used on our platform and I think that's the only failure I ever heard of. What we don't have is a thread laying out the proper installation and maintenance of wheel spacers. If someone with the knowledge would write a comprehensive thread with pics on that, that would pretty cool and I will make sure its placed in the correct spot and maybe sticky it.
    I would like this as well. I paid for the brand name and I know it. I wanted that just in case they failed, thinking a larger company would have a better warrenty in place. Plus I don't think the economy is shutting them down. My $.02, but I like Sals idea.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
    Ya but how many people do you actually know that have had issues with their spacers? I am not talking about some guy you heard about or your buddy that read about an issue once! I mean you actually know him or even saw the spacer (not a picture). I just ask becasue I never have! And I only know a couple guys that have paid the extra $$$ for the Name. Everyone else has bought a no name set like I did.
    My point was really that there is a difference in the manufacturer process among these products - they are not all equal and there are charts that show the comparisons under stress and heat tests. I will go and find them eventually

My other point, and I completely agree with you, but every single one of us knows people who use the spacers/adapters and we don't know anyone whom we regularly talk to where these adapters have failed, let alone people we know personally know. There are literally thousands of Jeeps and Toyota's running these things on ALL 4 wheels. What i'm getting at is that... we go with the option we are most comfortable with. Some use the 1/4" slabs, because they are confident they will not fail. Nathan has never seen or known anyone with failures with his spacers, so he'll continues to use them. I have never heard of anyone I know with Spidertrax, 1/4'' slabs, 1", 1.25" or 1.5" adaptors to experience failure - But I am most comfortable using Spidertrax - because that is my comfort zone despite the few failures - I've read... Dig around long enough and you'll find SOMETHING, lol. Anywho, Others would prefer to just get new wheels all together.

Also, Carlos - I do agree with you with regard to user error. Me being a grad student in environmental health - risk and hazards are my particular specialty, lol and are always my primary concerns. I don't believe adapters/spacers to be hazardous but I do know that they come with risks, risks that CAN be avoided and/or reduced. Achieved simply by inspecting them at every oil change and/or tire rotation... - I pull mine off entirely and retorque at every oil change. I also end up checking them any time I pull my tires off anyway - Simply because there're already off, might as well do it lol.

But driving a vehicle alone is a risk - lol, stating the obvious, lol.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 08-15-2011 at 02:36 PM.

I personally know one person who had a spacer failure. It's my buddies brother-in-law. Switched from his winter to summer rims. Front pass. spacers lugs where only fingertight. Threw the wheel on and buttoned it up. I don't know how far he went before the wheel fell off, but it wasn't far.

I'm pretty sure that about 95% of the issues with spacers are caused by knuckleheads like that.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Yep, pure genious!

However that is not a failure, that is user error.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    X2 on user error but those users like that will jump around and scream about how bad spacers are and they caused his wheel to fall off contributing to the perception that spacers are unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    X2 on user error but those users like that will jump around and scream about how bad spacers are and they caused his wheel to fall off contributing to the perception that spacers are unsafe.
    Exactly. I think these people are the source of most of the "I used spacers and my wheel fell off" stories.

I've never personally heard of or seen a spacer fail due to a defect in the spacer itself.

In NJ spacers are actually banned for use on the road.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information