Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Giant (ZJ Build)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Update: Apparently I didn't bolt the front shock on the passenger side enough because it started to have some play, so I retightened it to the best of my ability with the tire on. I also completely removed the front sway bar... So it's sounding pretty good. It's looking great. the WK still has a good 1.5" more of ground clearance. But I've already grabbed a lot of attention from folks in the appartment complex. Including another guy who also drives a ZJ on a BB, but his tires are slightly smaller.

So this years mod's list will include a Rage roof rack, lights and switches, as well as front and rear disco's, aftermarket sway bar, tail light guards, and CB Radio and Antenna. I'll save the 4.5" lift for January or February.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 09-05-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    AJ has a habit of driving his jeep with loose bolts LMAO

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Did I just read right? Rage roof rack member #4!

Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    Ya I guess he missed the threads where we talked about the rack. When I told him how much I paid for mine his jaw hit the floor.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Haha of course! Works well for the price!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    AJ has a habit of driving his jeep with loose bolts LMAO
    HEY! I forgot, I thought the front was shaking a lot because it needed an allignment. not because the bolts were only hand-tightened

Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Ya I guess he missed the threads where we talked about the rack. When I told him how much I paid for mine his jaw hit the floor.
    For what I paid for one Yakima Roof rack, I could have purchased two Rage racks. And I'm seriously contemplating getting one for the WK as well.

And just an FYI - my WK still takes the cake when it comes to which one I enjoy driving more. I've driven the ZJ just about all week... Hopped in to my WK for the first time in days to get some groceries, Go figure.. the grocery getter? No she's not the Grocery getter, lol. But, she drove as smooth as butter... Makes the ZJ look like an amateur on the road. While the WK still remains a bit more outfitted than the ZJ, for now, they are both quickly falling into their niches well. I drive the WK as a DD, easy trails, sand and gravel, a cross-country venture vehicle and expedition type vehicle. And my ZJ, quickly becoming more rugged, and a heavy-duty machine, limitless power and torque to rock crawl and to aggressive wheeling.

I think the only things I'll be getting for the WK is just a larger cargo rack, and some additional recovery equipment (that both the ZJ and WK will share depending on which one I take). Fire extinguisher, on-board air, additional lighting, a front skid, and front tow points, hi-jack lift, shovel. Maybe a few interior goodies to make it a more comfortable trip.

The ZJ's list is much longer

Turning your Jeep into a expedition vehicle isn't any cheaper then turning into a trail rig because a expedition vehicle need to do all things well. It needs to be a capable trail rig, safe and comfortable highway rig, and a mini RV all rolled into one package. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/44-Jeep
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 09-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Thats a nice little site there... I don't think I really want to get that involved with it that much. Going in that direction really blurs the dividing line between these two Jeeps. That site kinda blends the ideas I have for these two Jeeps into one. But, yeah that's definitely extreme. I don't wan to be that involved in something like that. I need enough utility for camping, recovery, and traversing while keeping creature comforts in tact.

ZJ ---> Superb Rock Crawling and extensive attention and detail to trail modifications. Adequate recovery but no real regards to comfort.
    WK--->Novice rock crawling. Adequate trail modifications. Excellent recovery and gear, with particular detail to comfort.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 09-05-2011 at 12:11 PM.

That's a pretty cool site lots of good ideas on there

I've been doing a lot of homework for this ole girl and I think I've found what my first real suspension lift will be to this thing.

I've been taking a look at the ZJ 5.5" Critical Path Long Arm Kit

or

The ZJ 4.5" Lift Kit

I've been debating whether or not which one to get. The first one is obviously more but they've also put together a package that would leave me with very little extra to assemble further down the road. My suspension would be as tall as I'd want it to be. At the same time my 31's would look small under a 5.5" lift. Which means I'll probably end up piecing together the 4.5" lift. I'll have to get 33's with better back spacing.

So... I've been considering THESE Wheels

or

These

Haven't decided what tires yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information