Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Brand: Maxxis
    Model: Big Horns
    Size: 265\70\17
    Price: $192 installed
    Wheel used: Stock wheels
    Lift: 2" Spacer

Road review: There a little loud on the road so that can be annoying on long trips. They handle all the rain and water I've driven threw and I've been threw some floods and ridiculous rain storms at highway speeds no issues at all. Pretty good at turning for a MT very little to no tire roll detected except at extreme maneuvers and even then it was hardly noticeable the sidewalls stayed put there pretty stiff.

Mud Review: I don't seek mud but had no choice a few time. Mostly during down pours at Uwharrie where the trails become sled chutes at that point. The tires did awesome grabbing and biting the whole time. I had probably the least amount of issues in the group when the trails turned to mud.

Rock Review: This where I spend most of my time on the rocks and ledges. I air them down and they grip like crazy and don't fall apart when you spin them on the rocks either. At low pressure where I run them they are extreme at puncture resistance. Crawling over pointy rocks and squeezing them threw tight spots no problems here at all.

Sand Review: Probably the second place they spend most of there time. I don't air down for sand and even with easily 1000LBS of cargo I cruise threw 12" of sand no problem. The tread is very aggresive so if you're not careful they will bite the sand a bury you in it. I've been stuck once while anchored to another SUV my tires spun and I dug in quick the tread just bites. If I didn't let off I think they would of dug to china if I let them.
    Snow Review: Only been on snow once with them and they did well. I could accelerate like it was dry out and stopping and turning where better then expected.

Air down Review: I air down to 12PSI and have had no issues. The tires flex and conform to the surroundings and never complain once about it see pic below.
    Pictures:

My only snow picture but proves I been in it at least once LOL

Overall Impression: Overall I could not of asked for a better set of tries. I've done some crazy stuff with them and they have never let me down and I've never even worried at all that they would which included a trip from NC to Chicago. While comparing prices to comparable tires at the time of purchase these were also about the cheapest ones out there as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar
    Sal thank you for posting this. You guys have given me some homework to do...lol

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean112280 View Post
    Sal thank you for posting this. You guys have given me some homework to do...lol
    No problem man, and thanks to everyone who has posted reviews and those who will post reviews keep them coming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Brand: Cooper
    Model: Discoverer ATR
    Size: 255\65\17
    Price: $700 (or so, it's been a couple of years) installed
    Wheel used: Stock wheels, then Ultrasport
    Lift: Rocky Road 2.25"

I ran these for almost two years, and they served me well.

Quiet on the road, nice ride, handling is nice.

Pretty good in sand, did some playing in local dunes and the beach on the Oregon coast. Forget about climbing straight up a big steep dune like a sand rail, but they'll get you around good enough. I never got stuck. Sandy roads (Such in around Moab) won't be a problem.

Okay in mud, they slip but I never got stuck. Mud gets flung out for a while after you get back to hard surface, so it collects in the tread. (To be expected with all AT's)

In snow, they drive like it's dry. Pretty good grip on ice too. You can drive around on ice you can't stand up on. We've pushed grill deep snow on day trips, and the only time we became sss... stu... stu... (I can't say it) shall we say "momentarily immobilized" was when the Jeep's skid plates rode up on hard packed snow. After a bit of steering back and forth and wallering, it backed out of the bad spot and we gave it up. We left behind a flat track like a sled was dragged thru. (Maybe 18'' deep snow)

Rocks, they're okay. I got pretty used to the short "pulsing slide" sounds as the traction control checks spinning. That's something that has disappeared with the new M/T's, which do not slip AT ALL. Although never a problem, I was always aware of having 4 ply sidewalls, and drove slow on heavy boulder roads.

In all the off-roading I've done, I haven't aired down tires. Decades ago in my Toyota Land Cruiser with its 15'' wide tires, but all I ever did back then was sand dunes. It would however, not only climb a dune with a 100% slope, it would catch air at the top. (It was a turbocharged beast)
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information