Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Reviews

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Tire Reviews

What I'm thinking is everyone wright a comprehensive review of the tires they are running now or have run in the past and post it here. I will list all the reviews in this post with links pointing to the corresponding post in this thread. That way there will be one spot for people to research tires and links and a place to point to when people ask what tires are best? or has anyone used these tires? Please supply pics if you can. Follow the format as posted already

Name Brand Model Link
    AJeepZJ Good Year Wrangler silent Armor Click Here
    CmmdrDan BF Goodrich AT T/A KO Click Here
    Adondo Toyo Wild Country MT Click Here
    Sal-XK Maxxis Big Horns MT Click Here
    Cico7 Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor Click Here
    Adondo Cooper Discover ATR Click Here
    Matt General Grabber AT2 Click Here
    Holaday07 4.7 BF Goodrich KM1 MT Click Here
    superacerc BF Goodrich KM2 MT Click Here
    AJeepZJ General Grabber MT Click Here
    Matt Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 Click Here
    Chapman89 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 Click Here
    IamJeep Nitto Terra Grapplers AT 113S Click Here
    Superacerc Hankook Dynapron MT Click Here
    pjmjr508 Dean Tires Mud Terrain SXT Click Here
    AJeepZJ Good Year Wrangler Duratrac's Click Here
    wmjacobsjr Cooper Discoverer AT3 Click Here
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 01-31-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: fixed links

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Brand: Good Year
    Model: Wrangler Silent Armor
    Size: 255/75/17
    Price: $130 installed/each (have since gone up to 190 since last October)
    Wheel used: Stock wheels
    Lift: 3" OME
    Weight: 43lb/tire

Road: Noticeable noise on road but not loud or annoying. Drives very smooth, and wears evenly. Under adverse weather conditions, like standing water - These tires coupled with the Jeep BTC system work very well together. The tire tread is not so large that the treat will like to grab water and hydroplane. Additionally, the tread is not so small as to slip and drive right over top of water as well - the true idealism for an AT tire. Instead, with this tire really just knocks the water either forward and/or out of the way. I've never loss control of this vehicle under rain, sleet, or snow.

Mud Review: Performs decent in mud for an A/T - has a very good tread system which prevents dirt and mud from getting compacted. This is important for a lot of different reasons including maximized traction and no one wants to toss rocks and dirt down the road for several miles.

Rock Review: Could be a little better, one of my primary concerns which this tire has been sidewall puncture, especially for my size with the slightly taller sidewall over the 265/70/17. Will struggle to grip if the air is not brought down appropriately

Sand Review: AMAZING in sand, this is where this tire truly performs. Again, the beauty of an All-Terrain tire, especially in sand, is it's it's resilience and wide-use application. It has enough tread for traction to acquire and maintain momentum, but not so much tread as to bury and high-center itself.

Snow Review: VERY good in snow, the self-cleaning tread pattern for this tire really pays off here. Keeps snow out of the tread. On and off the road, this tire does well in Snow.

Air down Review: I could have air down a bit more in many of my previous experiences, But i've aired down to about 20 all the way around for rock crawling. I should have done about 15, this also partially affected my review for it's rock crawling capability. But I know others with this same tire and size rock crawling frequently.

Pictures:

Road

Rock/Trail

Snow

Mud

Sand
    (need to go wheeling in some sand again and take some pics)

Overall Impression:
    This is a fantastic alternative to the more expensive brands out there. It has climbed up in price a lot, and rightfully so - it is a very reliable tire, and it is a true all-terrain tire... I've literally wheeled in all of it on these tires. I have pulled shards of metal and sliced a tire from it rubbing the pinchweld and it still does fantastic. When wheeling on the rocks, I am not missing any chunks of rubber out of my tire, and although it will struggle if not deflated property it will get you where ya want to go. If equipped on a QTII or better vehicle - I can see this being an phenomenal tire.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 04-06-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Brand: BF Goodrich
    Model: All-Terrains T/A KO
    Size: 265\70\17
    Price: Used-$100/ all 4 Another $115 installed
    Wheel used: Jeep Wrench (Stock
    Lift: 2" Daystar Spacer lift
    Spacers: 1.5 inch Spidertrax Front only with pinch weld mod
    Road review- Slight Noise, Great on road manners
    Mud Review-Very good. Made it through a mud hole better than the stock tires did.
    Rock Review-N/A
    Sand Review- Perfect! Not an issue. Barely aired down and never thought about stopping!
    Snow Review-I'm waiting!
    Air down Review: None yet.

Last edited by Sal-XK; 09-07-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Brand: Toyo
    Model: Wild County M/T
    Size: 265\70\17, 10 ply radial
    Price: $1,400 installed (All four)
    Wheel used: Ultrasport
    Lift: Rocky Road 2.25" Spacer
    Spare: Factory OEM 245/60/17 (And it's a gripe because the spare tire space won't allow anything larger)

After this last weekend in Colockum Wildlife Wilderness, I can say I do like them A LOT.

Road: On the road, they aren't all that loud, but they're certainly not quiet either. It's a pleasant noise, and at 60 MPH, they ''phase hunt'' much like flying in a twin engine aircraft as one engine is always a few RPM higher/lower than the other. It just creates somewhat of a ''rolling sound shift'' around you. The low pitch howling changes while cornering. If you want super quiet tires for road trips, these are not for you.

Rock: Heaven knows we did rocks this weekend. Miles and miles of man-head sized rocks in the ''road'' with a lot of triangle shaped rocks sticking up. 10 MPH is going fast on these roads. That's where 10 plies comes in. I can't see that 100 miles of that stuff has done anything to these tires. And, they lock into the surface while climbing like gear teeth. There's zero slippage.

Sand: We got a good try out on sand on the way there. There's dunes near Beverly on hwy 240. Last trip to the same general area, we ventured up a sandy road heading up into a canyon. At a steep spot, we had to give it up and back out, or we would've been frame buried. (We're talking about a good 15% grade here) Tried the same road this time out, and crawled right on up. They just get down and dig. They seem to move enough sand backwards to keep you moving onwards. I could feel the Jeep actually drop into the surface, which is nerve racking, but it just goes and goes. As for airing down, we didn't bother as it just kept climbing in the stuff that was too soft to walk in.

Mud: The only mud I've seen is in a farm circle road the same day the tires were installed. I didn't get out and walk it first, but it was pretty soft. The circle pivots were watering it down like rain, and I wasn't getting out! It wasn't enough to really tell what they are capable of, so like snow, a review will have to wait 'til later.

I did have to cut back the inner fender well. It's thin plastic, so a utility knife works. They got a good test last weekend, and no rubbing.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 09-07-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Brand: Maxxis
    Model: Big Horns
    Size: 265\70\17
    Price: $192 installed
    Wheel used: Stock wheels
    Lift: 2" Spacer

Road review: There a little loud on the road so that can be annoying on long trips. They handle all the rain and water I've driven threw and I've been threw some floods and ridiculous rain storms at highway speeds no issues at all. Pretty good at turning for a MT very little to no tire roll detected except at extreme maneuvers and even then it was hardly noticeable the sidewalls stayed put there pretty stiff.

Mud Review: I don't seek mud but had no choice a few time. Mostly during down pours at Uwharrie where the trails become sled chutes at that point. The tires did awesome grabbing and biting the whole time. I had probably the least amount of issues in the group when the trails turned to mud.

Rock Review: This where I spend most of my time on the rocks and ledges. I air them down and they grip like crazy and don't fall apart when you spin them on the rocks either. At low pressure where I run them they are extreme at puncture resistance. Crawling over pointy rocks and squeezing them threw tight spots no problems here at all.

Sand Review: Probably the second place they spend most of there time. I don't air down for sand and even with easily 1000LBS of cargo I cruise threw 12" of sand no problem. The tread is very aggresive so if you're not careful they will bite the sand a bury you in it. I've been stuck once while anchored to another SUV my tires spun and I dug in quick the tread just bites. If I didn't let off I think they would of dug to china if I let them.
    Snow Review: Only been on snow once with them and they did well. I could accelerate like it was dry out and stopping and turning where better then expected.

Air down Review: I air down to 12PSI and have had no issues. The tires flex and conform to the surroundings and never complain once about it see pic below.
    Pictures:

My only snow picture but proves I been in it at least once LOL

Overall Impression: Overall I could not of asked for a better set of tries. I've done some crazy stuff with them and they have never let me down and I've never even worried at all that they would which included a trip from NC to Chicago. While comparing prices to comparable tires at the time of purchase these were also about the cheapest ones out there as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar
    Sal thank you for posting this. You guys have given me some homework to do...lol

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Brand: Cooper
    Model: Discoverer ATR
    Size: 255\65\17
    Price: $700 (or so, it's been a couple of years) installed
    Wheel used: Stock wheels, then Ultrasport
    Lift: Rocky Road 2.25"

I ran these for almost two years, and they served me well.

Quiet on the road, nice ride, handling is nice.

Pretty good in sand, did some playing in local dunes and the beach on the Oregon coast. Forget about climbing straight up a big steep dune like a sand rail, but they'll get you around good enough. I never got stuck. Sandy roads (Such in around Moab) won't be a problem.

Okay in mud, they slip but I never got stuck. Mud gets flung out for a while after you get back to hard surface, so it collects in the tread. (To be expected with all AT's)

In snow, they drive like it's dry. Pretty good grip on ice too. You can drive around on ice you can't stand up on. We've pushed grill deep snow on day trips, and the only time we became sss... stu... stu... (I can't say it) shall we say "momentarily immobilized" was when the Jeep's skid plates rode up on hard packed snow. After a bit of steering back and forth and wallering, it backed out of the bad spot and we gave it up. We left behind a flat track like a sled was dragged thru. (Maybe 18'' deep snow)

Rocks, they're okay. I got pretty used to the short "pulsing slide" sounds as the traction control checks spinning. That's something that has disappeared with the new M/T's, which do not slip AT ALL. Although never a problem, I was always aware of having 4 ply sidewalls, and drove slow on heavy boulder roads.

In all the off-roading I've done, I haven't aired down tires. Decades ago in my Toyota Land Cruiser with its 15'' wide tires, but all I ever did back then was sand dunes. It would however, not only climb a dune with a 100% slope, it would catch air at the top. (It was a turbocharged beast)
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Brand: Goodyear
    Model: Wrangler Silent armour
    Size: 255/70/17
    Price: $880 installed
    Wheel used: Chrome Clad Jeep
    Spacer: Spidertrax 1.5"
    Lift: 2" Rusty's Budget

Excellent tires.
    Wrangler SilentArmor tires are Goodyear's premium On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tires.
    Goodyear's Durawall rubber compound is molded at the base of the tread
    grooves to increase resistance to stone/rock drilling. The tire's internal
    structure includes an Armor Zone that consists of twin, high-tensile steel belts
    reinforced by a layer of DuPont KEVLAR cord to combine strength with comfort.
    The Durawall rubber compound is also used in the sidewalls to resist scuffing
    and abrasion to protect the polyester cord body, and rim guards help protect
    wheels from accidental on- or off-road hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by sean112280 View Post
    Sal thank you for posting this. You guys have given me some homework to do...lol
    No problem man, and thanks to everyone who has posted reviews and those who will post reviews keep them coming.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Brand: General
    Model: Grabber AT/2
    Size: P245/70/17
    Price: $140 each
    Wheel used: KMC XK Spy
    Lift: 2" RC
    Spare: Factory

Road: Road traction has been great... no complaints there. They're a bit louder than other AT's i've owned... BUT I think that may be due to my alignment being out (front end sagged 1" which changes the toe, this will result in some excessive road noise).

Snow: Un-Freaking-Stoppable. I couldn't be more impressed with snow traction... I don't think it's possible to get better snow traction, literally. Some of the stuff I drove through should have stopped my XK in its tracks regardless of tires.

Sand: Haven't really been in deep sand yet

Mud: Haven't been in deep/sticky mud yet... but the bit I went through wasn't an issue at all. Tires seemed to clean out fairly well.

Overall Impression: These are a hard tire to beat for the price. Offroad and snow traction completely blows away the 2 sets of BFG ATs i've owned in the past. Very impressed and would HIGHLY recommend them.

Pictures:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information