Thread: Tire Reviews

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Brand: Good Year
    Model: Wrangler Silent Armor
    Size: 255/75/17
    Price: $130 installed/each (have since gone up to 190 since last October)
    Wheel used: Stock wheels
    Lift: 3" OME
    Weight: 43lb/tire

Road: Noticeable noise on road but not loud or annoying. Drives very smooth, and wears evenly. Under adverse weather conditions, like standing water - These tires coupled with the Jeep BTC system work very well together. The tire tread is not so large that the treat will like to grab water and hydroplane. Additionally, the tread is not so small as to slip and drive right over top of water as well - the true idealism for an AT tire. Instead, with this tire really just knocks the water either forward and/or out of the way. I've never loss control of this vehicle under rain, sleet, or snow.

Mud Review: Performs decent in mud for an A/T - has a very good tread system which prevents dirt and mud from getting compacted. This is important for a lot of different reasons including maximized traction and no one wants to toss rocks and dirt down the road for several miles.

Rock Review: Could be a little better, one of my primary concerns which this tire has been sidewall puncture, especially for my size with the slightly taller sidewall over the 265/70/17. Will struggle to grip if the air is not brought down appropriately

Sand Review: AMAZING in sand, this is where this tire truly performs. Again, the beauty of an All-Terrain tire, especially in sand, is it's it's resilience and wide-use application. It has enough tread for traction to acquire and maintain momentum, but not so much tread as to bury and high-center itself.

Snow Review: VERY good in snow, the self-cleaning tread pattern for this tire really pays off here. Keeps snow out of the tread. On and off the road, this tire does well in Snow.

Air down Review: I could have air down a bit more in many of my previous experiences, But i've aired down to about 20 all the way around for rock crawling. I should have done about 15, this also partially affected my review for it's rock crawling capability. But I know others with this same tire and size rock crawling frequently.

Pictures:

Road

Rock/Trail

Snow

Mud

Sand
    (need to go wheeling in some sand again and take some pics)

Overall Impression:
    This is a fantastic alternative to the more expensive brands out there. It has climbed up in price a lot, and rightfully so - it is a very reliable tire, and it is a true all-terrain tire... I've literally wheeled in all of it on these tires. I have pulled shards of metal and sliced a tire from it rubbing the pinchweld and it still does fantastic. When wheeling on the rocks, I am not missing any chunks of rubber out of my tire, and although it will struggle if not deflated property it will get you where ya want to go. If equipped on a QTII or better vehicle - I can see this being an phenomenal tire.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 04-06-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Thread Information