Thread: Tire Reviews

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Brand: BF Goodrich
    Model: M/T KM2
    Size: 265\70\17
    Price: $200 ea. (approx)
    Wheel used: Stock wheels
    Lift: OME HD 2.25"

Road: Much more well behaved than most M/T tires. Quiet (Comparitively). They still make the 4x4 hum but it's very soft and no droning occurs in the cabin at all. More quiet than some Toyo street tires I used to have on my older Jetta. Grip is great and no major slipping occurs when taking sharp curves in the rain.

Snow: I've only used these on my dad's F250 in snow, never on my Commander. On his truck on a road with about 1" of snow on the surface no slipping occured with these tires. It's as if the snow didn't exist.

Sand: Great from what i can tell from last weekend on the Beach. Never dug itself in(but then again it's always 4wheel drive). Not sure how they would do on a rear wheel only vehicle.

Mud: Only limited use in mucky areas. Never extra thick mud. Always seems to make it out without too much fuss and I imagine that they would do very well but nothing amazing.

Rocks: Wow! This is where this tire really shines! My engine will give up before i run out of grip. I always run this tire aired down when on rocky trails, more for comfort than the need of extra grip. Slippage does not generally occur at all on most trails especially if it is all rock and less dirt.

Overall Impression: I would highly recommend this tire to anyone! I've got about 12000 miles on these tires so far and they don't seem worn at all. They do great on just about any surface and don't drive you crazy while on the road on trips.

Pictures:

2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Tire: 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrain KM1
    Wheel: Stock with 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    Lift: 2 inch Daystar, Robbys Half inch leveler (pinch weld mod, adn lots of trimming)
    Cost: $200.00 for all four mounted and ballanced
    Miles: 10,000 so far, still at 70% tread

Road: They make a ton of noise. Constant tire hummmmmmm, and my fiance will no longer drive with the windows down. Road traction has been excellent even in the rain.

Snow: I have not had the chance to test them in the snow yet, but I would assume the deep lugs will help get moving and clean the voids easy.

Sand: Hate sand, wont drive in it.

Mud: The Mud Terrains are great in the mud, no supprise. They provide lots of lateral traction as well for off camber trails in the sloppy stuff. I was able to stop in the middle of a bud pit, hook up a tow rope and pull out my brothers ZJ and didn't get stuck. Tread cleans out the Missouri Muck really well.

Rocks: Love the traction in the rocks. Really pulls well over ledges, and loose bolders. I air down to about 20 psi now, and that helps them flex and ride smoother. No sidewall problems, but I am now missing 4 or 5 of the large lugs from the tread. These tires chunk really bad, and it is very dissapointing.

Overall Impression: I would highly recommend this tire to anyone looking for a great deal on a great tire. They may be a tad pit noisy, but I only paid $200.00 for the whole set. Lots of Rubicon guys are switching their tires out after the lift, and Craigs List is full of these with little or no miles on them.

Pics:

2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Brand: General
    Model: Grabber M/T
    Size: 33X12.5
    Price: 350$ all 4. (used and GG was emerging)
    Wheel used: 15" Cragar 8's
    Lift: 6" Custom lift

Road: Significant noise on road not desirable for long distance. Slow speeds between slow speeds can be a pain especially under 45mph. At most a 'C'

Mud Review: Performs well in in mud - it IS an MT tire afterall - removes mud from tread pretty quickly. It's a 33x12.5 tire so it's a nice wide tire. Have not got stuck in a situation that required winching or some form other recovery. Definitely an 'A'

Rock Review: When deflated correctly - the tires perform WELL. I've deflated to 15PSI with this tire on these cragar wheels and It does very well. It HAS lost some tread on the tire from rock crawling but I attributed that to rock crawling it on my first time wheeling it. You know it's a balance of the tire characteristics and driver capability, knowing what I know now - this tire would be in much better shape and would perform a lot better. 'B-'

Sand Review: I've only taken this to Kill Devil Hills once... and it did pretty decent... I'd give it about an 'B'

Snow Review: Decent in snow, but I'd definitely prefer an A/T tire in snow. This tire was just not the appropriate tire for this vehicle in snow. At the same time, it doesn't have the same technology that my WK had. But otherwise it's a decent tire in snow. I would place it in the C+ range for snow.

Air down Review: Air down in this tire with this wheel is not a problem at all, The lowest I put this tire on is 12, but typically I leave it at 15. It does a fine job.

Rock

Snow

Mud

Road

Overall Impression:
    Overall, this is definitely just a trailing tire. It's versatility is very limited in terms of it's application across various mediums. I'd recommend it for dedicated trail rigs, not a DD. And there are some M/T's solid and well-rounded enough for DD application. This one just isn't it. But again, this is when General Grabber's MT tire was starting to emerge. This tire is no longer produced, there are variants available today that i'm sure measure up to the competition

***Sal may expand on this tire later in the future***
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 09-08-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If anyone is running tires on there other SUV's or trucks you can add them as well to the list just add a space to and tell us what vehicle your reviewing on. Matt I know your running a different tire on your liberty you can add a review for that. AJ can add a review of his new AT's as well when he gets some time with them. The more reviews the better we can link this thread on other forums where people are asking for help drawing some more attention to this forum.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 09-11-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Sounds good... i'll work on a review each night this week lol. Dynapro's on the Liberty, ATZs & Cooper LTZs on my sierra, Toyo ATs & PJ Dirt grips on my silverado.... Bridgestone duelers & Procomp Xterrains & BFG ATs on my explorer.... BFG ATs on my wrangler... wow the list keeps going!

Maybe i'll stick with my recent vehicles

Ya you can stick with your current rides LOL

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    AJ can add a review of his new AT's as well when he gets some time with them. The more reviews the better we can link this thread on other forums where people are asking for help drawing some more attention to this forum.
    It's funny, I was going to just 'reserve' a post. But then when I saw you post the links up top. I was like, "Man thats a sweet idea". So yeah, I'm just spending some time with them. I'll have one up for the Firestone Destinations A/T's up in a couple months.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Brand: Hankook
    Model: Dynapro ATM RF10
    Size: 225/75/16
    Price: Don't remember... they're VERY affordable tires
    Wheel used: Stock wheels
    Lift: N/A- these are on my wifes stock KK

SNOW:

Let me start by saying that these are on my wifes Liberty. They replaced the stock tires last winter. Her KK is 2WD with selectable 4x4... not AWD like (most of) our XK's. We got so much snow last winter and her KK was about as useful as a supercharged mustang in the snow; very disappointing. Even in 4x4 it just didn't want to go anywhere. We bought the vehicle used and the tires only had 30k miles on them... but i decided they had to go. So we threw on a set of the Hankooks..... The rest is history!

These Dynapro's were taking the KK places in 2wd that was beyond a struggle in 4x4. It was almost like we magically installed some lockers along with the tires...

ROAD:

Road manners are great. Very quiet tire.

RAIN:

Again... a HUGE improvement over stock. The KK is a "peppy" vehicle with the 3.7L. With the stock tires you had to be careful because you could easily spin the tires in the rain. With the ATM's, I very rarely lose traction when the roads are wet... i'd really have to hit the gas quick and have the wheel turned.

LOOKS:

These tires are very aggressive looking for an A/T. I especially like the sidewalls which really improve the look of the vehicle from the side. Even at stock height and stock sized tires, the sidewall design makes the vehicle look more rugged.

OVERALL:

These tires are VERY affordable. I can't speak much for longevity.... but I'd highly recommend them. Let's put it this way, if I was getting new A/T only tires for my XK, i'd consider these tires even though I have a proven winner with my current AT2's. I would actually give the Hankooks the edge in the "looks" department.

PICTURES:

Sorry... slacking on pics of the KK so i'll post what i can

Last edited by Sal-XK; 09-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.

The first post is current all the reviews are linked. You guys did a great job I want to thank everyone for participating. We do need to get a few more WK's to give us some reviews

Senior Member Getting Dirty Chapman89's Avatar
    Brand: Bridgestone
    Model: Dueler Revo 2
    Size: 265/70/17
    Price: Purchased used for $400 w/ 75% tread remaining
    Wheel used: Stock, Chrome Clad wheels
    Lift: 2 inch Rough Country

Road: Pretty quiet for an AT. Excellent traction on wet roads, slush, etc. They are wearing pretty good after 10,000 +/- miles. Dry traction is just as good, I see no issues at all! (A)

Mud: I haven't been in anything too serious. Just a few slick trails I used to frequently visit after class. I never had any issues. The tread doesn't clean out too quickly, the tread pattern sorta traps it. (B-)

Rock: I've been to Uwharrie twice with these tires and haven't had any issues being aired down (about 15 psi). I wouldn't exactly say they are amazing on rock, there aren't any "lugs" to grab ledges. They seem pretty tough being only a 6 ply (maybe 7?) no gouges or unusual slices missing. I'm not complaining especially for a less aggressive AT. (B)

Sand: Never had the opportunity

Snow: Pretty darn good actually but then again the QD-2 is a major factor haha! I went wheeling at a spot with about 10 inches of snow, they had great traction especially after the snow turned muddy! (B)

Overall review: A great tire for the guy who doesn't visit the trails that often. However you will be confident on the trails, I have yet to experience any problems. I would definitely recommend this tire!
    Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 XK Limited 5.7 QD-2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information