Thread: Scratch Remover, any thoughts/recommendations?

Scratch Remover, any thoughts/recommendations?

I just acquired an ugly scratch along my rear bumper recently and I was thinking of using on of those off the shelf scratch removers. It is a pretty light scratch, but it stands out big time. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by 07JeepXK; 06-24-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    take some pics for us and I can help you out
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Junior Member Looking for Dirt adamag25's Avatar
    I have had good results from using a couple different things...

First, a scratch at goes all the way through to the metal or plastic is not going to buff out with a quick swipe of a cloth. For that you can go to most auto parts stores and buy a color matched paint pen/brush in a small bottle. They usually cost about $5 and the pen tip makes it easy to fill in the scratch by just tracing the line. Once it has dried fully you will need some polishing compound, the stuff that comes in the little plastic tub and is a thick red paste. Rub the area until it looks smooth again. Then there are two things that will help. NuFinish car polish or Meguiars Color RX. These do well to help blend the area into the rest of the paint. Once those are on use a good wax over the whole bumper, fender, or whatever panel the scratch was on.

Second, if the scratch is only in the surface and does not go through. Skip the touchup paint step and start with the polishing compound as described above. Follow with one of the two liquid polishes above and then wax

And last if it is just a minor scratch that barely marked the surface but is still plainly visible you can skip to one of the liquid polishes but be aware that after a couple rains or washes the scratch may be slightly visible again.

For most normal scratches the second step is going to be the best. This is a good process to use over the entire painted area of the vehicle because it will help to smooth the finish and then the wax will work better at keeping dirt off.
    06 4.7 Bright Silver
    HILLBILLY DELUXE

It is a surface scratch, I'll try to get some pics tonight. Thanks for your replies!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I know neil said he paints for a living so I would throw a picture up for him to see. I've used the scratch kits with the clear coat and sand paper included in it. It's a lot of work and touchy process to learn my first repair was horrible.

Yeah, I took 2 years of paint/body class in High School and worked for a short while at my Great Uncle's shop when I was a kid. I know how to sand, primer, paint etc., but with 4 little boogers (2 autistic) and my wife being ill (for life), I don't have the time to do it the right way. Just lookin' for opinions on what works and what doesn't.

BTW, Niel, I do want to get your opinion on some defects (I think) on the XK's paint. I'll put some pics up ASAP but my computer is not happy with me right now.

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Bed Liner......

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
    Bed Liner......
    God's gift to Commander owners. LOL
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by HueyPilotVN View Post
    Bed Liner......
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    God's gift to Commander owners. LOL
    Well, I'm kinda liking the bedliner look like you have on your XK, Huey. Now just to convince the wife..........

Thread Information