Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to The Steel Armadillo

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    I am throwing a wet-nap in here. I am always thinking about the market size. Is there enough of a market to
    warrant the entry of another developer? I forsee the downfall of the other forum, which is a commercial enterprise,
    since Chrysler discontinued production of the Commander. A few years from now, they will have few supporters
    and less need of a Commander site.

This is not a high valued class or truly unique class of vehicles where everyone is clamoring to get a Commander.

I may be wrong, and thats ok too. if I am wrong, the markets thrive and all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    However, in my personal experience vehicles like the lateer model Land Rovers and Land Cruisers are now out on the trail. A few years ago, they were someones $50,000 Luxo Ute. Availability of Commanders are there, and the price is getting into a place were enthusiats can justify taking one out on the trail. It could totally fall out from under us though, I just hope not.
    I have certain points to make that might make you think twice. I'll kind of discuss each.

1. The XK platform rides on the shoulders of the WK. (we hear this all the time. Virtually anything that comes out, with the exception of bumpers will most likely apply to the XK. This point is self-explanatory.

2. As stated previously, the XK is getting cheaper. Which translates to a broader range of folks purchasing it. This point is also self explanatory.

3. I think the most important point is the sustainability or even profitability of this segment of the market... the XK/WK market. Granted the % of folks wheeling the WK/XK is small, the variable you guys are forgetting the most that can really effect this market are YOU. We already KNOW there are 100,000's of WK/XK's on the road. So there is endless possibilities for this market. I think what you guys are forgetting is the exposure factor, and showing folks the possibilities of what it is capable of becoming. When you guys are about driving around town in your WK's and XK's people DO take notice. I think you are really forgetting the impression these vehicles make. Someone started this trend and it has not slowed down... (even in this economy). At the 'other forum' had no build threads, not a whole lot of modified anything. VERY few with 3" lifts, let alone a 4" lift. When you take elegance, class and 4x4 capability and then inject it with rugged ambition - it is an entirely different specie of Jeep. It's not like so many other vehicles where if you lift it, it looks like garbage or really unattractive.... It also doesn't look inappropriate when you lift it either. These vehicles look solid, like they were meant for 2-4" lifts.

One really good example a few weekends ago. Sal let me drive his XK to the Autozone (Thanks Sal - it was FUN) - At every intersection and in that parking lot - I could FEEL eyes all over it. I remember asking Sal... "do people always stare that hard at the Jeep when you drive it?" Sal: "yes".

So anyway my main point is that I feel the 'domino' effect has already started for the WK/XK platforms - We have a few dedicated vendors/manufacturers and what started with just a few has grown into some really unique market. We don't see it as such now, but we are at the forefront for the WK/XK mods era. I never saw a lifted WJ until 2 years after the WK was released. The WK/XK are on schedule. The exposure from the modified crowd is the most important factor - That exposure alone may be enough to convince current owners of WK's/ XK's to take them to the next level.

(I honestly never thought to modify my WK, until I saw a burgandy WK clearly on a 3" lift and 32's drive up and pass me while getting on the free way... heading west on 540 into the sunset. I still have a picture in my mind of how that WK looked with the sun behind it... The light hit it just right, it looked awesome.)
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 09-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I am throwing a wet-nap in here. I am always thinking about the market size. Is there enough of a market to
    warrant the entry of another developer? I forsee the downfall of the other forum, which is a commercial enterprise,
    since Chrysler discontinued production of the Commander. A few years from now, they will have few supporters
    and less need of a Commander site.

This is not a high valued class or truly unique class of vehicles where everyone is clamoring to get a Commander.

I may be wrong, and thats ok too. if I am wrong, the markets thrive and all is well.
    This would be true IF I were only to make products for the Commander, this is just a jumping off point to many more items for many more vehicle options. If the market will not support The Steel Armadillo and others then I feel sorry for the Others as I am not going away!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I agree and have said it in the past as well. The older this platform gets the more people there will be modding them out. The amount of attention I get in my XK in uncanny even today I got two "hey that's a bad a** jeep man" I believe we leave these people with a good impression and they will give out Jeeps a look when deciding to get a good DD and something they can wheel. Remember not everyone wants a wrangler just because there so popular. It is possible that this platform will peak and fall short of our hopes and dreams but its also very possible it will follow Jeep history become the next big thing to be modded and wheeled in the future and we can all say someday we did it first

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    This would be true IF I were only to make products for the Commander, this is just a jumping off point to many more items for many more vehicle options. If the market will not support The Steel Armadillo and others then I feel sorry for the Others as I am not going away!
    When I spoke of The Other forum, I am referring to jc.com
    I say this since a couple of us have refer to The Other forum.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    When I spoke of The Other forum, I am referring to jc.com
    I say this since a couple of us have refer to The Other forum.
    I was referring to the "other" off-road companies not forums, but all is good.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Looking for Dirt wmjacobsjr's Avatar
    I have seen quite a few WKs with lifts and larger tires. I have gotten some surprised looks when people look at my XK and they see it has a lift, have yet to get the bigger tires but working on that. A few guys have walked up and said that mine was the first Commander that they seen with a lift and that it looks good with a lift on it. It will take some time for folks to start doing what a small number of us are already doing.

With that being said, I want to wish you luck in your new venture Jon.

Mike
    Old: 2007 Black XK Sport - Wrecked
    2006 Greystone Limited XK - Traded-in
    New: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.
    Prof. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    I have one partner, I will let him announce his involvement when he is ready just in case he wants to remain silent.
    I also see this as a good opportunity to take up where others have left off. I think he is referring to me, unless there is another! Now you know who it is and I can again remain silent

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
    I also see this as a good opportunity to take up where others have left off. I think he is referring to me, unless there is another! Now you know who it is and I can again remain silent
    LOL
    Why Thanks to both of You & Jon to help the rest of us get our rigs to where we want them.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wmjacobsjr View Post
    With that being said, I want to wish you luck in your new venture Jon.

Mike
    Thank you very much, I look forward to providing great products and great service for you all.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brendon View Post
    Cats out of the bag now!

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information