Thread: Steering wheel not locking?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar

Steering wheel not locking?

I noticed this morning as I went to leave that with the key out of the ignition and the Jeep completely off, a) when I move the wheel back and forth an inch or two, I can hear a pretty substantial knock and b) I can also completely turn the wheel and front wheels full range left to right and back again. My steering wheel doesn't lock. Any others with this issue or suggestions as to how to take care of it. Only real mod that could have an effect is the 2" lift.
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The wheel does not lock on the Commander, this is so that it can be towed without the key in the ignition.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    ^This must only apply for those vehicles which have [4HI,N,4LOW.] All-time 4HI vehicles shouldn't have this feature because they cannot be towed without causing significant damage to the transfer case. I know for a fact my WK cannot be towed unless it's on a flatbed or tow-truck.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I never noticed if my wheel turned with out the key in it. I just assumed it locked normally like most vehicles I'm going to have to check this out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    The wheel does not lock on the Commander, this is so that it can be towed without the key in the ignition.
    This was embarrassing that I hadn't noticed before. But, seeing as the ignition is on the dash and not the column, it makes a little more sense. So that solves on problem, now I get to figure out what the popping sound is. (not only when shaking wheel with jeep off, but I notice it now too when I move from full stop and come to a quick stop... grr.
    2008 Overland in Black
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I never noticed if my wheel turned with out the key in it. I just assumed it locked normally like most vehicles I'm going to have to check this out now.
    Should this be moved to the Easter eggs thread, then?
    2008 Overland in Black

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Nope, no lock. It makes it nice for towing behind a motorhome as you don't have to leave keys in it. (Or pull a fuse while it's on accy)
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information