Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS Information

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

TPMS Information

First off, I wanted to clarify a few things that seem to confuse some people about our TPMS systems.

For 2005-2007 US versions, our TPMS operate on the 315 mhz frequency. For 2008+ they're 433 mhz.

For export models (specifically in the 2006 and 2007 Commanders) they also used the 433 mhz sensors. So while I was shopping for TPMS sensors for my 2007 model year, I found conflicting part numbers. It seems that not all websites realize that the 2007 export models were 433 mhz and the US version was 315... so they listed the 433 mhz sensors as "this fits your vehicle", but it really doesn't.

Also, another thing to keep in mind... I see people always mentioning "you have to get the OEM sensors". I'd like to remind everyone that Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, etc DONT manufacturer these sensors. There are only a few major companies that do... and they supply the OEM's. Also, these sensors really aren't that "high tech".... honestly, in the world of sensors they're pretty basic. I've never had an issue running quality aftermarket sensors on any of my vehicles; note "quality"... stick with a name brand.

Figured i'd start a thread here. If anyone has any questions about which TPMS sensors to run, or if you installed sensors and are having an issue, post up here. Hopefully we can help out, and at a minimum we'll all learn something (such as brands to avoid, tips/tricks, etc)
    Last edited by Matt; 11-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    That's actually really helpful. Nice post, Matt.

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar
    I agree....good information. thanks Matt.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    So, a while back I got me some education regarding the TPMS system in our beloved vehicles and posted this on the other forum:

So I've been doing a bit of research and happened upon a parts list for the XK.

BTW, credit to "Gramps" over on jeepforums.com for posting info concerning parts over on their site: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=303655&page=3

So here are the part #'s for TPM sensors:

2006XK = 56053030AB
    2007XK = 56053036AA
    2008XK = 56029359AA

I have a second set of wheels with winter tires and needed the appropriate sensors for the system to work. It seems that the radio frequencies changed for model years, IIRC.

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Now i'm not sure if "sit stationary for 20 minutes" means idling or not... i may actually call and ask. They did provide a special number to call for TPMS reset instructions so I may give that a shot.

Also, another thing to keep in mind... I see people always mentioning "you have to get the OEM sensors". I'd like to remind everyone that Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Honda, etc DONT manufacturer these sensors. There are only a few major companies that do... and they supply the OEM's. Also, these sensors really aren't that "high tech".... honestly, in the world of sensors they're pretty basic. I've never had an issue running quality aftermarket sensors on any of my vehicles; note "quality"... stick with a name brand.
    I happened to get mine from eBAY. When I finally got the right ones, I just had them slapped on and drove off. The system was reading them in < 1 mile. No standing around and waiting. I bought OEM.

2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    So, a while back I got me some education regarding the TPMS system in our beloved vehicles and posted this on the other forum:

So I've been doing a bit of research and happened upon a parts list for the XK.

BTW, credit to "Gramps" over on jeepforums.com for posting info concerning parts over on their site: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=303655&page=3

So here are the part #'s for TPM sensors:

2006XK = 56053030AB
    2007XK = 56053036AA
    2008XK = 56029359AA

I have a second set of wheels with winter tires and needed the appropriate sensors for the system to work. It seems that the radio frequencies changed for model years, IIRC.

Gramps is one of the most helpful individuals I've ever encountered. Not to take subject off topic - But He is astonishingly resourceful.

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    I happened to get mine from eBAY. When I finally got the right ones, I just had them slapped on and drove off. The system was reading them in < 1 mile. No standing around and waiting. I bought OEM.

I have aftermarket sensors in my current wheels as well and didn't need to wait... starting driving and they read right away as well. The reason i posted that was because someone specifically mentioned the Dorman sensors didn't work on another forum, so I threw that up there as a potential cause.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I made it a sticky thanks for the work man

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Great info sir, I was going to start dealing with this next week when I replace the broken rim along with the bent one.
    Thanks
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Just a quick update...

I installed 4 Dorman 974-001 TPMS sensors ordered from RockAuto. I was having major issues with them... at first, only two synced up. Then, one of the two would drop in/out of signal... so I really only had 1 good sensor. I worked directly with Dorman tech support and did some troubleshooting; they decided to send me 4 new sensors directly from their factory. I put the 4 new sensors in tonight and they all synced up, no issues.

I also used a TPMS tool to read all of the sensors. The original sensors I ordered from Rockauto were crap, for whatever reason. Two weren't giving off any reading at all and the other two would take a long time to register. The 4 sent to me from Dorman registered within 2 seconds.

Just another note, my other wheels/tires had Orange Electric sensors in them and they worked flawlessly. They came with my wheel/tire package though, not from a parts distributor.
    Last edited by Matt; 10-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information