Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TPMS Information

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Update:

These "new" Dormans still aren't working quite right. For the most part, they're all reading correctly... but the LR dropped signal a few times today and I lost the RF twice as well.

Got some more info from the tech at Dorman that i've been working with. ALL of the sensors i've installed were recently manufactured... so battery life is not (should not) have been an issue at all. He has a new theory... a few months ago they changed the chipset and now he thinks the "new" chipset may be the issue. He's sending me 4 "new" sensors that are the old chipset to see if that iradicates the problem.

I'm not sure when im going to get a chance to install those sensors; i don't exactly have a tire machine in my back pocket.

Conclusion

At this point, i'd say that the issues/concerns i've read about Dorman sensors for our jeeps are pretty much confirmed. It's not user error, It's not my jeep, and we're way beyond the possibility of "oh that was just one bad sensor". Even if the next set of sensors that I get solves the problem, how can you make sure the sensors you order are the proper chipset?

If you need sensors, as of right now my recommendation is to stick with OEM or Orange Electronics. My Orange sensors worked flawlessly.
    http://www.orangetpmsusa.com/oe-prod...cation-search/

OEM sensors are manufactured by Siemens...

Hey guys, i have another very interesting update!

I installed the "old chip set" from Dorman quite some time ago and they worked really well... sort of. I never lost sensor signal BUT would get a "service TPMS system" message on my dash once in a while; No TPMS light and No TPMS warning chime though. One day I noticed that the right-front tire read 92 PSI for a few minutes before going back to normal and it also looked like the RR and RF signals were switched (noticed that after airing down for offroading).

So we decided to throw OEM sensors in to see what happens. Well, all of the old TPMS part numbers have been superseded and now use the rubber stems.

The part numbers are as follows (XK model year - old PN - new PN):
    2006 - 56053030AB - 68078861AA
    2007 - 56053036AA - 56029479AB
    2008 - 56029359AA - 56029481AB

Fast forward to last week (I wanted to get some miles on them to confirm). I have installed the new 56029479AB sensors, the old PN isn't available anymore and I like having rubber stems since they're better for offroading. Well they're reading, BUT every once in a while I lose a signal at one of my rear tires.

Some more info on this: when working with Dorman tech support they mentioned the rear of the XK's is often a problem because there's only one receiver back there and it often gets confused which sensor it's reading; left vs right wheel well.

I'm due for a rotation in 1000 miles so I'll see if the rear continues being an issue. If it does I might try replacing the receiver back there (actually i wonder if that part has been updated... i'll check that now too).

FWIW:
    As of right now, the only sensors that have worked flawlessly on my vehicle are the original OEM sensors AND the Orange Electronics sensors. Also, Sean is running the Orange Electronics on his 2007 XK because he bought those wheels/tires from me, and as far as I know he hasn't had any issues (I'll find out to confirm).

So if you need to buy new sensors, I'd be wary of the new OEM ones. Would love to know if anyone else has issues with the new sensors too. It'll be kind of ironic if I can't resolve this and have to go buy Orange sensors again

The new sensors:

They also now offer new style in metal with replaceable stems for 05 and 06. I have a set from dodge we ordered the other day. They are made by schrader for dodge

Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeEssFore View Post
    They also now offer new style in metal with replaceable stems for 05 and 06. I have a set from dodge we ordered the other day. They are made by schrader for dodge
    Can you give us a part number by any chance?

Is it possible for the dealer to program the TPMS so that the alarm only comes on at say 1.2 Bar. (we deflate down to this when we drive in thick sand).

Quote Originally Posted by kevjones777 View Post
    Is it possible for the dealer to program the TPMS so that the alarm only comes on at say 1.2 Bar. (we deflate down to this when we drive in thick sand).
    Dealers wont do it due to liability reasons. But you can with a handheld programmer like the superchips flashpack.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Ok, so the stock wheels I'm putting on my 06 commander do not have the TPMS sensors... From what I've read I would be best off to get the orange sensors part # SC36AA and have the tire shop install them when mounting the new tires? Will my jeep automatically recognize these sensors or am I gonna be stuck buying some device to calibrate them or something? Thanks..

Your Jeep will automatically pick up the sensors and calibrate their locations after 15 minute of driving.

And yeah... the only sensors I would buy right now are the orange electronics

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Great! Thanks for clearing that up. Guess that's what I'll be doing then.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information