Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer not working, need help!

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Question Computer not working, need help!

Okay I was doing a scan and it was taking forever so I hit the escape key like it said to stop the scan and restart the computer...

Now my computer starts normally and loads all the images on the screen but NOTHING happens when I click on ANYTHING.

I have rebooted, rebooted in safe mod & tried to run a virus check from a thumb drive but no PROGRAMS will run, what can I try next?
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If you have your disc you can try a windows repair. What type of scan were you running?

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    If you have your disc you can try a windows repair. What type of scan were you running?
    I was running what I thought was a windows scan, I think it was a worm.

What disk do I need? wont my windows 7 reset and lose all files but not kill the worm?
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If you opened a worm I can't help not threw the forum anyway. You can try a window repair by putting the windows install disk in and booting that up you shouldn't loose your files doing that. Some computers have a restore option putting it back to the way it came from the factory but you loose your files going that route I've had to do that to my kids computer twice that's why I have everything backed up to a hard drive.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    If you opened a worm I can't help not threw the forum anyway. You can try a window repair by putting the windows install disk in and booting that up you shouldn't loose your files doing that. Some computers have a restore option putting it back to the way it came from the factory but you loose your files going that route I've had to do that to my kids computer twice that's why I have everything backed up to a hard drive.
    Perfect, I tried that and I am now doing a scan to find and kill the worm. You were a big help and maybe by dinner I can get off my laptop and get back on the main computer.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    This stuff sucks. Glad it's working out for you. If everything is backed up you can always format the drive and do a fresh install of your OS.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Just as a reminder, always backup your data. There are several options, I like to use a program called crashplan it has a free option to backup data to your other computers or friends computers, and a pay option to back it up to their servers. It's pretty straightforward to setup and use, and could save you from catastrophic loss.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I backup all of my stuff on an external HD.

I know the kind of worm you got.... my sister-in-law did the same thing. I set up her antivirus to do auto scans and auto quarantine and NOT to prompt her for anything. So I told her that if she ever gets a pop up requesting her action to "scan" something, exit out and don't click it. Also warned my wife about those types of viruses.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I have a TB server that I back up my computer on too so I wasn't as concerned about losing my files as I was about not being able to use my computer.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information