Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Car Testing

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Smart Car Testing

This here says a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_472L2kLp0

My synopsis: I would never, nor will i let a member of my family, drive a smart car.

Remember, deceleration kills human beings; hence the development of crumple zones to absorb energy and extend the time of the collision thereby decreasing the deceleration rate to sustainable levels (combined with other safety measure such as seat belt improvements and air bags, cars have become exceptionally safe).

Notice that the smart car doesn't just decelerate.... it is accelerated in the opposite direction (add in some other rotational forces and well... you get the picture).

Crash test ratings, as currently used today, are worthless in the grand scheme of things (unless you replace every moving object on the road with a brick wall). So to think that a car (any car.. not just a smart car) is safe based on the "crash test ratings" is a bit short sited. In terms of overall safety, I'll take a 3 star crash test rating in a vehicle like a suburban over a 4 or 5 star crash test rating in a car like the Smart or even the Mini. $.02

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Matt; 09-27-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    You only live once, and it is a blast to drive!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

lol i have a motorcycle for that!

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    No offense Jon. But everytime we see one around here we play a game. Who ever sees it first and yells "death trap" first wins..

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Felt it deserved a thread of it's own? I've already ranted on the subject today in Knapster's garage.

Basically my opinion is that when a big car hits a small car the big car wins. And there are way too many big cars around with crazy people at the wheel not paying attention. I wouldn't drive one, nor would I let my kids ride in one.

Although there is this:

Sort of... i wanted to find the video i mentioned and i didn't think it was right to post it in his "garage" thread.

This is much more fitting

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    The only place I would own/drive a smartcar is if I lived in the city and didn't have to ever take it on the freeway. It would be strictly a local commuter car and thats it.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    The only place I would own/drive a smartcar is if I lived in the city and didn't have to ever take it on the freeway. It would be strictly a local commuter car and thats it.
    That is what I use mine for, I drive 12.5 to work and then 12.5 miles home on one major street. I get about 40 mpg and have to fill up once a month.

I have driven it to Los Angeles a couple of times and I am comfortable but the car was designed as a city commuter vehicle not a highway vehicle.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If I didn't have to drive to work on a road named chicken road nick named the chicken 500 I would drive a smart car.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Every time I see one of those flying down the freeway down here I cringe! Guys drive those things like they are invincible, when they are the smallest thing on the road. Cars, trucks, and SUVs get bigger every year and then you through one of these in the mix. Not what I would want to be in on a pile up on the freeway! I could see using one around town, but I think I would just use an electric cart for that if gas was my concern. I love driving my Jeep! I hate that I have to drive my saturn to and from work, but I basically paid nothing for it and it gets 40mpg. Which saves me money that I can pit into the Jeep!
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information