Thread: Matt's Pinch Weld "How To"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Matt's Pinch Weld "How To"

I've seen quite a few "hacked up" pinch welds. Figured i'd modify mine and take some pictures along the way, hopefully mitigating fears that other members may have. Done properly, it'll look factory and give you almost 1.5" more clearance for tires.

1) Remove fender well liner
    This is pretty simple. Best way to get the plastic rivets off is to punch the center through with a small philips screwdriver. Once you punch the center through, they pull right out. Then there's two more push clips that you can use dikes (diagonal cutters/snips/et) to pull out.

2) Remove the TPMS receiver and tuck away somewhere safe. This is a bit more challenging on the passenger side because one of the screws is hidden by the coolant lines... but they flex right out of the way.

3) Cut slices in pinch weld as shown... this will allow you to bend over the pinch weld much easier and cleaner.

4) I used a big pair of vice grips to bend over the pinch weld. Get it as far as possible, then flatten it out with a hammer (i used a 3lb sledge). Then clean the surface so its nice and smooth for primer.

5) I put a lot of coats on and make sure you shoot some behind the bends you created.

6) After it dries, put the liner back in. NOTE: DO NOT PUT THE TPMS RECEIVER BACK IN PLACE YET!! Secure the front of the liner with as many clips as you want since it wont be coming back out. Secure the rear section of the liner with the push clip on the body and a zip tie on the lower fender flare mount as shown.

Last edited by Matt; 10-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thread Information