Thread: SR9c Slide Lock/Release Mod....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar

SR9c Slide Lock/Release Mod....

Some of you might know this, but the Ruger SR series only has a slide lock. It is not a release, alltho some folks can release the slide by pushing down on the lock lever. In my case, my SR9c was very difficult to release in this manner. You had to cock the slide slightly to get the lock to release after reloading, thus having to use both hands. I saw a video on youtube that explained how to mod this to work like a regular release. So, I gave it a try with much success.....I couldn't be happier. Here is how it is done..........***DISCLAIMER*** If you attempt to do this mod by following my post and screw up your pistol, it's on you. I'm just showing you guys how I did this mod, only. If you don't feel confortable doing it, please take it to a gunsmith***

#1. Safety check

#2. Feild strip

#3. Slide lock groove....On the slide lock groove you will notice that the rear section is at a 90deg (actually my was angle a little foward) where the lock "grabs" on to the slide.

#4. Sand/grind the slide at the back inside section of the lock groove little by little. DO NOT remove too much material at once, you will ruin your slide. Take your time by removing just a little bit at a time. Put your pistol back together and try it, if it is still too hard to release.....remove a little more. I had to do this three or four times before I was satisfied. I used a dremel with a sandind disk, 'cause I didn't had a grinding wheel. Using the dremel at medium speed i carefully take off some material. Then test fit, sand, test, grind, ect....

#5. Once I am satisfied with the "mod", I take some 600 grit sandpaper and smooth out the area, then polish it up removing and spurs.

#6. Then, throw a little oil/lube on there and go enjoy your new "Slide Release"!!!!!

Here is a couple of quick vids from my cell... Let me know what you think. Any questions?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0311184136.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0311183310.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0311182936.mp4

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0311183054.mp4
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    BGIF
    Bullets Go In First

Loaded when up, what is that?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    BGIF
    Bullets Go In First

Loaded when up, what is that?
    One in the chamber indicator. It pops up a bit like the XD models.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Thread Information