Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/C compressor bearings serviceable?

Junior Member Looking for Dirt

A/C compressor bearings serviceable?

Hey Gang,

My AC compressor on my 06 Hemi is whining pretty loudly. I had a local mechanic check it and he quoted 1100.00 to replace the compressor... I researched it a bit and found a thread on another forum that said the compressor bearings are replaceable. Since my AC is working fine except for the whining noise, I am hoping this is a viable option for me. I am confident attacking small jobs such as alternators, waterpumps etc but I am certainly no A/C man. After the $$ I spent on the OME HD struts and springs and the JBA UCA's I think I will be sleeping on the couch if I come home with an 1100.00 repair bill!! I need to do something soon before it seizes up and takes out the serpentine belt leaving me stranded... I have briefly scanned the posts here but haven't seen anything on the bearings. Any information/direction you guys could provide would be great!

Chris

Senior Member Getting Dirty ScorpionCrawler's Avatar
    The compressor bearings don't show up as a seperate part. At least not from the dealer.
    Did you try a bone yard? A radiator shop would probably be a better alternative.
    I'm assuming you are off your warranty and I would seek help for this, outside the dealership.

[/IMG]

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I'd get a price quote for a replacement compressor. Autozone has them for around 3-400 dollars. The compressor isn't any harder than changing out an alternator as long as there are no other issues like metal shavings from the internals of the compressor (has happened to me). If it's simply the a/c compressor bearings it shouldn't have any other issues.
    Let the pressure out of the system. Disconnect the hoses, take off the belt and any electrical plugs. Put the new one one on and hook it up. Then drive to a shop (without using the A/C while you're going there) that will recharge A/C R-134 refridgerant and have them vacuum the lines and put new freon in there. Shouldn't run you over 100 bucks i'd think for that. It's really not as hard as one might think (minus needing the vacuum pump and getting the right amount back in there which the shop will do for you). That's probably what i'd do.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I had a shop quote me $100 for evacuating and refilling the system after I made the repair. I also had to do some searching for the part because it's not sold threw the dealer or normal parts chains.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I had a shop quote me $100 for evacuating and refilling the system after I made the repair. I also had to do some searching for the part because it's not sold threw the dealer or normal parts chains.
    I just lookoed up the A/C compressor on the Auto Zone website for our jeep and they listed 3 or 4 of them they had. Which part did you replace Sal? How long ago was it? It seems they can get them or maybe they are just fibbing cause we all know they do that.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

This was for my ford 500 the local shop quoted me $1400 and all it needed was a $40 part but they said they couldn't order it but would install it if I got it so they were pretty cool. I found what part it was on a forum they wanted $100 for the evacuation and refill .5hr for the part instal. But only one company made the part I needed that's why I said it will take some digging around to find the parts

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The compressors for our XK's are much easier to come by.

I'd do as recommended... replace it yourself and then bring it to the shop to charge up the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The compressors for our XK's are much easier to come by.

I'd do as recommended... replace it yourself and then bring it to the shop to charge up the system.
    The guy looked around and the cheapest part he could get was $500 and autozone had one for like $300. I couldn't figure out where all the labor hours come from in the quote the compressor is right there to just pull out so I agree just do it your self and save like a $1000 bro.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    I found a reman on ebay for 189.00. I think I will do the swap as suggested and get it recharged. I just hope the cheap reman lasts a while. We shall see!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-COMPRESS...sories&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdid View Post
    I found a reman on ebay for 189.00. I think I will do the swap as suggested and get it recharged. I just hope the cheap reman lasts a while. We shall see!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-COMPRESS...sories&vxp=mtr
    From what I have read you need to evac the lines before you remove the compressor or it can cause damage. I'm sure Matt or someone can speak up on that for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information