Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C compressor bearings serviceable?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    the lines are pressurized. the best thing to do is swing by the shop that's going to recharge it for you and ask them to evacuate the system first.

Senior Member Getting Dirty ScorpionCrawler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdid View Post
    I found a reman on ebay for 189.00. I think I will do the swap as suggested and get it recharged. I just hope the cheap reman lasts a while. We shall see!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-COMPRESS...sories&vxp=mtr
    The company looks legit, did you read their warranty info? You get a year but they are asking for the drier/accumaltor and orifice tube to be replaced as new along with a system flush. I think the evacuation first is an enviromental issue. In the olden days we bled pressure off the drier, before disconnecting any hoses.
    Today I would definately get the evacuation done prior to disassembly.
    On the way home do not run the AC or turn on the defroster. The compressor cycles on and off when the defroster is on. There is a low pressure switch that won't allow the clutch to activate with out refrigerant but...... just in case.
    Good Luck.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionCrawler View Post
    The company looks legit, did you read their warranty info? You get a year but they are asking for the drier/accumaltor and orifice tube to be replaced as new along with a system flush. I think the evacuation first is an enviromental issue. In the olden days we bled pressure off the drier, before disconnecting any hoses.
    Today I would definately get the evacuation done prior to disassembly.
    On the way home do not run the AC or turn on the defroster. The compressor cycles on and off when the defroster is on. There is a low pressure switch that won't allow the clutch to activate with out refrigerant but...... just in case.
    Good Luck.
    Sounds like they want to make sure that the lines are clear of debris and stuff that would cause the Compressor to fail prematurely. Seems legit like you said. That being said to replace all the extra stuff would be more time consuming and a little harder on the pocket book but still not 1100 if you do it youself (but more difficult).
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    if I was doing the work.... I'd probably replace the dryer as well while I had the system broken down. its really not much more work. Also, fresh o-rings on every line I could get to (most of the AC leaks I've fixed were simple $.60 orings that failed)

Senior Member Getting Dirty ScorpionCrawler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    if I was doing the work.... I'd probably replace the dryer as well while I had the system broken down. its really not much more work. Also, fresh o-rings on every line I could get to (most of the AC leaks I've fixed were simple $.60 orings that failed)
    Good catch on the O rings. A must!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    My clutch bearings have started making a bunch of noise as well. At least it sounds like it's coming from there. It may be the belt tensioner. Anyway you can buy the bearing for $17 but it takes a special tool to get at it. Our mechanic in our club told me he has never been able to get the pulley off without destroying it. He always ends up replacing the whole compressor. I found remans from $160ish a lot of places so I will probably end up doing that. Better than $330+ for new.

Suck you can't just replace the bearings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information