Thread: 3.7 CAI Questions?

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar

3.7 CAI Questions?

I've got a guy willing to sell me his K&N CAI for the 3.7 for 100$. Just wanted to see what you guys think about this deal? Good price? Is it worth it for the 3.7? What are the gains? Difficulty to install? Just wondering if I should jump on this deal. Thanks guys.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Easy to install yes, good price yes, the gains you get are up for debate though.

Thats what I see reading about it right now. Well, I'll give it some thought for a few days.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    I've been looking at them too. They are normally anywhere from $250 for the 63 up to $350 for the 77 that fits the 3.7 so $100 is a really good deal if its in good condition. I've read that the horsepower gains aren't "provable" but that it gives a little more power, helps the engine breath better, and gives it a nice sound. If you decide to get it take some pics after the install so I can see what mine would look like.

Will do.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    CAI is something I continue to put off for my WK. Pretty widely known that the gains on them are fairly insubstantial. They do allow the engine to breathe better, but at what cost? Some of these brands allow silicates to deposit into the engine itself - which can seize up the engine. So the filter isn't doing much of it's job, and your probably replacing the oil a lot more frequently than you care to. I'd like one, yes, but I'm hesitant - I continue to debate with myself what would be the best intake for 3.7L WK/XK's.

In retrospect, it would be nice to find a knowledgeable vendor.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    In retrospect, it would be nice to find a knowledgeable vendor.
    Airaid is one of our vendors, not sure if they have products for the 3.7 however.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I've not heard much on the K&N specifically but my buddy with a 3.7 wrangler did the full cat back exhaust and CAintake and then did the superchips 87 tune and said he could tell quite a difference after the tune but not so much before. He contacted the superchips people when he was debating whether or not to buy it and the rep asked if he had already done exhaust and intake. At that time he hadn't so he informed the guy that he didn't have either. The rep said don't buy the flashpaq (at least not for the power gain) cause it wouldn't help unless he upgraded the breathability of his JK first. He eventually did and then bought the flashpaq and is now quite satisfied. He was a little down on power as he's running 35s with 513 gears and a 6 inch lift. (It's the guy in my hidden falls pics with the white rubicon). Lucky him though cause he was able to change his shift points to help compensate for the gears and wheels. I don't think we can do that with the flashpaqs for the commander.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    I've not heard much on the K&N specifically but my buddy with a 3.7 wrangler did the full cat back exhaust and CAintake and then did the superchips 87 tune and said he could tell quite a difference after the tune but not so much before.
    You must mean the 3.8? With 5.13 gears I don't see how he would have had an issue fetching shift points - especially on that 42RLE (I'm assuming it wasn't manual).. It's almost always on the 3rd of 4th gear.... squeeze just a little on the pedal and it drops to 3rd pretty effortlessly.
    Last edited by AJeepZJ; 10-07-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Yep 3.8L. Sorry. It wasn't that it didn't pull the weight alright. It was just that it would hunt too much for the right gear before getting the power. Don't know much more about it except he complained about it and his wife didn't like it the way it drove. She drives it to work now that he's got the tune and shift points polished up a bit. He does have all steel bumpers, steel fenders, the stinger up front with a Warn i think, steel spare tire and 2 jerry can holder and steel rock sliders and skid plates on it so it's riding pretty heavy.

He needed a pull after getting stuck on this rock.
    Last edited by superacerc; 10-07-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Thread Information