Thread: Heading out to the highway

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar

Heading out to the highway

The E28 (old 5 series) is in the shop for some minor fixes - until then I am doing a New Mexico / Colorado / Utah tour with this beastie

New Mich Pilot Super Sports shoud provide for some fun twisties.....
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    HA! You went for the pilot sports anyway. Aren't they awesome? I love mine. Much quieter than other racing tires.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

I have less than 100 mile on em so they are till a bit oily. 245's in the front and 265's in the rr. Should take the boost from the SC nicely. Ill put them to the test after Fort Worth. I upgraded to Koni Sports and H&R lowering springs. Unlike Commander world stuff my clearance is now less than 5" which is AWESOME.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Sounds sweet. Yeah mine were a bit oily for a while. Leaving the tire shop i was barely touching the pedal and they were squealing pretty bad. Watch for those cops around Ft Worth. There's a ton of em. I got stopped by 2 at different times on the same trip! but my coast guard ball cap got me out of the first which was for speeding (95 on a flat texas highway is a good cruise control speed for the Jetta keeping the revs nice and low and i'm barely movin). The second was just a complaint that my license plate covers weren't allowed so it wasn't any issue hehe
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

Yeah heard that DFW is using Laser now so will be obidient....LOL.. I can do 50 to 120 in a few secs so still fun. You need to join us on our next "run". We had Infinities and Porsches and BMW's One guy got nailed for 90 in a 60 although we were all doing 130 +. Bit of a pucker factor, but hell......its all good at 6 am.

I'd love to. Let me know when you guys are riding around(just don't get me in trouble). I've got to get my headliner redone sometime. I lucked up and got one of the Made in Mexico Jettas and it leaves something to be desired as far as interior durability. The engine is assembled in Germany/Austria so it's ok but the body is done in Mexico so it's messing up and the glue isn't holding right. Just have to get it to a shop sometime. Have fun on the trip. can't wait for the trip in Nov.

I have a guy that can do it right. I did my '85 redone in Alcantara (suede) for 5 bills. Looks pristine. There are lots of things that can be DIY for less than you might think. The Z is holding it's own. Aside from blowing the Koni sports in a year (should have gone with coil overs DUH) and going from Dinan to H&R springs the thing performes great. I just put Bilstein Sports and H&R springs on the 5 and it handles much much better. I need to lower the back perches cuz I almost lost the rear a few times in Austin. That plus a short shift N a few other goodies make it a nice sport daily driver.

Sounds nice. I don't need fancy material. Wouldn't mind just having the stock headliner properly installed. I think the headliner is 140 from VW. Sounds like the old 5 is pretty nice. I'd love one of the new 1 series models. You know i find myself wanting just about every car around. I need to really stop wanting them all. You'll have to take a look at my 66 sometime.

Would love to! My uncle runs a shop in Detroit where he has claimed #1 in NHRA drag competitions. He has a dyno at his shop and has offered to do my Z for free. The ol 5 is kickin for it's age. It's still an old car - no skid control, dynamic control, but its fun! I love the old muscle beasts.......cant be beat in my book.

Thread Information