Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Dream Front Bumper

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I like the interior winch because it looks cleaner.

you could make it a bit more versatile and make it an interior winch/storage compartment. For those not running a winch it can be used to haul off-road tools, straps, etc. So you wouldn't have to make 2 separate bumpers....

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

you could make it a bit more versatile and make it an interior winch/storage compartment. For those not running a winch it can be used to haul off-road tools, straps, etc. So you wouldn't have to make 2 separate bumpers....
    That's a great idea even if you're going to buy a winch but don't have one yet that would be a great place to store straps and stuff I like that idea.. Weight is a concern but not a big one. The only way to save weight IMO is to either skimp on the strength using thinner steal or making the bumper smaller or ballooning the cost by using expensive but light weight metals. I personally don't want my bumper price being doubled to save 60LBS or so I'll just deal with weight by upgrading the suspension.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I think it would help keep it smaller if it were interior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I like the hidden one for lots of reasons but looks is more important over all.

As stated, I like the Maniac bumper and it does have an interior winch, the issue would be that you would need to install the winch in the bumper prior to installing the bumper on your vehicle. I do not see a way to use the space for storage as it would not be easy to access your tools once the bumper is installed.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar

I like this one as well
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    *mouth water*

What Sal said and what Matt showed. What would be important to me... is utility and practicality. It's great if it has accessory lighting, front hitch receiver, winch location, shashackles and great improved approach angles... to me, this is like trying to win the lottery.

If I were CONTINUING to mod my WK... I'd care MORE about (in order of importance to me)

Craftsmanship ( and appearance) - Is it built well? Is the structural integrity flawless? You can put as much as you want to in the bumper but if it looks like a lot of the bumpers I see out here, I'll just move on. It needs to be strong, it needs to lock good. Both are pretty self explanatory.

Recovery: I think if the above is met, we can move on to recovery (this includes winch and/or front tow hitch) What is more feasible to incorporate without jeopardizing the overall goal of this bumper.

Weight and Approach angle: I think if the above two are answered well we can move on to this one. It's got sound recovery and excellent craftsmanship. How much does it weigh. Does it make my front sag? Are the advantages of the above two worth this Sag? Or can we find ways to conserve craftsmanship and utility and still reduce weight?

price: I imagine if the above 3 are met with flying colors this category will fly out of the roof.. which leads me to my FINAL point.

customization: How easily can I customize my bumper. I care about craftsmanship but I have other mechanisms for Recovery, which reduces weight and also improves my approach angle. Can You work with this type of request. Despite a narrow market, how flexible can this product be across the board.

Those are my opinions.
    All very valid points.

Craftsmanship would of a very high quality, I have no intention of starting a business with low quality stuff and closing shop on my first products.

Recovery: I plan to include at least two recovery points.

Weight and Approach angle: I have a steel bumper with a winch on my XK, I can tell you that I did not experience any sag when I added the additional weight. I do plan to sell spacers that could be purchased if needed.

price: I need to make money to pull this off but I can assure you I will have the BEST bumper at the BEST price possible.

customization: Some customization can be done, it would all depend on what the purchaser was willing to pay.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    I do not see a way to use the space for storage as it would not be easy to access your tools once the bumper is installed.
    We're not saying to copy the maniac bumper exactly.... you can, IMO, easily improve upon the design to make the winch compartment accessible. A stainless steel hinge, a plate, a weather seal and a latch.... on top would probably be best.

Due to winch size you may still need to install it before installing the bumper. But the hatch will still allow access to the winch for service, or even for use if it doesn't have a remote wire.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    That's what i was thinking an access door on top would be cool.

I was also thinking that you could make different access doors to aid in winch clearance. So the standard could be a flat door... nice and low profile. But if someone want to run a larger winch than the compartment is designed for (height wise), they could buy a "high clearance door"... kind of like how a differential cover works.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I like that bumper, everything designed so far seems really bulky. Most important thing for myself is clearance, tow points, and looks. Cant wait to see the finished product.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    We're not saying to copy the maniac bumper exactly.... you can, IMO, easily improve upon the design to make the winch compartment accessible. A stainless steel hinge, a plate, a weather seal and a latch.... on top would probably be best.

Due to winch size you may still need to install it before installing the bumper. But the hatch will still allow access to the winch for service, or even for use if it doesn't have a remote wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    That's what i was thinking an access door on top would be cool.
    I follow you, great idea!

I was also thinking that you could make different access doors to aid in winch clearance. So the standard could be a flat door... nice and low profile. But if someone want to run a larger winch than the compartment is designed for (height wise), they could buy a "high clearance door"... kind of like how a differential cover works.
    So you are suggesting the bumper would come stock with the "low profile" cover, and an optional "high profile" cover would be available to purchase later if needed?

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information