Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic rocker guard removal

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Plastic rocker guard removal

I want to take these off, as they serve no real purpose besides protecting from rock chips. Has anyone used bedliner to clean up the area once it is removed. I do not like the exposed pinch weld, and was hoping to see what just a 2 inch strip of bedliner looked like. Also, for Sal, what brand did you use for the fenders and bumper?
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I plan on painting mine in the VERY near future as I removed the plastic to install the sliders.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty BonesWK's Avatar
    I too run without the plastic side rockers. I have yet to paint anything, but doesnt sound like a bad Idea.

I think I will just get the Spray Can bedliner, not sure what the name of it is. Also Im a little hesitant to spray all of the areas, as I dont want to mess up any holes needed to install sliders in the future
    Ryan ---- 2006 WK 4.7 QDII <- Click for Garage
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust
    Twitter Facebook ---- Chive On
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Can't wait to see that big girl on those fat meats!

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Took mine off as well. No paint though.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

We get soo much salt on the roads that I do not want the Jeep to start rotting away. Well I guess I will just wing it, and throw up some pics when I am done. As for covering any mounting holes, if that is the case I will just drill them out when the time comes.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    We get soo much salt on the roads that I do not want the Jeep to start rotting away. Well I guess I will just wing it, and throw up some pics when I am done. As for covering any mounting holes, if that is the case I will just drill them out when the time comes.
    I like your style... for sure post some pics, and let us know what you used to spray.
    2.25" RR Lift - Front Bilstiens - Rear OMEs - 32" Wildpeaks - Saguaro 4x Shackles - Tail Light Guards - AFE intake - Rola - Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by BonesWK View Post
    I like your style... for sure post some pics, and let us know what you used to spray.
    Will do, whats the worse that could happen right?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I used a couple of different brands but over all I though the rustolem brand was the easiest to use. The other brand went twice as far but cost twice as much so it was even there but the spray was harder to control and I was a lot neater with the rustolem brand. I plan on doing mine as well but I'll be doing a lot more then just the pinch weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I used a couple of different brands but over all I though the rustolem brand was the easiest to use. The other brand went twice as far but cost twice as much so it was even there but the spray was harder to control and I was a lot neater with the rustolem brand. I plan on doing mine as well but I'll be doing a lot more then just the pinch weld.
    yeah I think I may do the entire side where the side guard is gone. Im thinking a couple cans should be enough for both sides

Member Looking for Dirt cprokopf's Avatar
    I don't like the exposed pinch weld. Guess that means I will have to buy some sliders if I want to remove the plastic rockers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information