Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Removal

Senior Member Getting Dirty

Rust Removal

I recently purchased a set of 4xg sliders that a member had used pretty hard. There is a fair amount of surface rust from the Chicago winter. I am planing on stripping these down and doing a primer and a few coats of tectured spray paint. What would you guys use to strip all paint, rust, and just get it down to bare metal. I was thinking a rough wire grinding wheel? Thanks for any advice on these, it should be a fun project this winter.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    I wouldn't do the wire wheel. Get a chemical stripper and some fine sandpaper.then prime and paint. Acetone it done after stripping and sanding to make sure everything is removed!

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    My preferred method is to use a side grinder with the Steel wool buffing pads that velcro on. Talk about quick and easy.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    I wouldn't do the wire wheel. Get a chemical stripper and some fine sandpaper.then prime and paint. Acetone it done after stripping and sanding to make sure everything is removed!
    Any reason not to use the wire wheel. It would be soooo much faster I would think.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    My preferred method is to use a side grinder with the Steel wool buffing pads that velcro on. Talk about quick and easy.
    Cool I will try and find a grinder to borrow.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    have em sandblasted
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty Chapman89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    have em sandblasted
    This is the easiest solution!
    Current: 2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 Speed

Traded: 2006 XK Limited 5.7 QD-2

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    have em sandblasted
    You'll be happy with the results for sure getting them sand blasted if not hit them with the grinder your not going to chemically strip the rust on those rails man.

The only shop where I can get the sand blasting done for free, has too small of a booth. I didnt pay enough to put a bunch of money into them, or I would have just got new ones. I am just going to use a grinder. Ill take pics as I go along, and feel free to add any advice.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    The grinder will be just fine just keep at it. Mineral spirits or acetone is fine for wiping them down before priming. Take your time and be patient is the best advice I can give you. Use a good primer and a few good coats of it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information