Thread: Rubber Tube?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty

Rubber Tube?

Hey guys, I parked the ZJ and took a look underneath and I saw something hanging from the front end. When I went to further look at it. It appeared to be a black rubber tube that extended from the front differential. I'm not sure what the purpose of this tube is or what it does. Is this a breather tube? Or does the other end of this actually connect to something. There was nothing dripping from it.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    that would be the breather tube. it should have a plastic shield on the end.... it Probably just fell off. run it up into the engine compartment with some zip ties. leave enough slack for travel.

Someone is saying that it's supposed to go on the side of the stock airbox inlet... I will have to check that out - I thought it was a breather tube myself. I just wasn't aware they made them so long, lol.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    yeah they're generally pretty long so they get to a well protected area.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    A lot of guys around here figure out a way to run them into the passenger compartment. Daystar also makes a fiting to waterproof it if you take it through the firewall.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    A lot of guys around here figure out a way to run them into the passenger compartment. Daystar also makes a fiting to waterproof it if you take it through the firewall.
    Thats very interesting. I just temporarily routed it to the Air Intake and zip tied it to another tube allowing enough room for flex and such. There's no inlet for it. I have a good idea of when I probably came loose too.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Thats very interesting. I just temporarily routed it to the Air Intake and zip tied it to another tube allowing enough room for flex and such. There's no inlet for it. I have a good idea of when I probably came loose too.
    Depends on the wheeling you are doing I guess. Any chance to keep water and oil as far appart as possible I am all for. I copied a pic of some home brewed tube fenders for you, I will dig up the pic when I get home tonight.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Depends on the wheeling you are doing I guess. Any chance to keep water and oil as far appart as possible I am all for. I copied a pic of some home brewed tube fenders for you, I will dig up the pic when I get home tonight.
    Yeah there's no water where this thing is located. But yeah, it would be very easy to route this into the cabin. definitely need a longer tube. Only thing I don't like is this engine gets pretty warm. So i'm not sure how comfortable I am routing a rubber tube around that engine bay. I'm going to check out the stock equipment setup for the Air intake to see if it truly hooks up here. Anyway, Unless I go jump into a 3ft pond, breather tube should be fine. I don't do mud anymore. Well, I try not to anyway.

I will also take a few pics for this as well tomorrow. Got nothing but time before the football games.

Thread Information