Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear lift.. brainstorming ideas...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Rear lift.. brainstorming ideas...

Ok.. so now my front sag is taken care of with the OME HD setup (& JBA spacer). Currently, my front & rear are basically the same height being within 1/4" of each other; fronts a tad higher, but the springs are brand new so I expect it to level out perfectly once settled.

I'd like to sell my RC lift, but need to get the rear spacers out. Also, I'd like to replace my oem replacement monroe load levelers with the longer F150 load levelers to maximize travel offroad; this adds in another realm of "unkowns".

So my options:

1) OME MD springs + F150 monroes. I think this may be the best bet in terms of height & ride... but I do run the risk of not getting the height I want AND I'll be stuck with this setup. In other words, I couldn't change out the load levelers for different shocks since I will be utilizing them to provide part of the lift.

2) OME HD springs + F150 monroes. I'm worried that this setup may be tool tall and/or too stiff.

3) OME HD springs + make a rear spacers and dont use load levelers. This is the most work.... im tired of working on vehicles and need a break!! (did my JBA spacer, did Seans JBA spacer, did my OME, will need to do my rear springs, then will be installing RC on another members XK... all in a 2 month span )

.... thinking of going option 2.... then if its too tall and/or stiff I can always work on making it option 3 next year...

thoughts/ideas?

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    While reading I liked the hd with f150 shocks. Sounds to be the easiest and will net more lift. But...you may nat to see about limiting straps just in case..

Yeah I already have limiting straps sized up. But I don't think that's an issue if you leave the sway bar connected.

And while thinking about it some more today... if the HD's with F150s are too high, i'll just fill up my tool box and put that in the back

From my understanding, the OME HD kit pretty much "levels" out the jeep. So being that I have the RC spacer in front AND i like .5-1" of rake, I should be good with the HD springs and F150s..
    Last edited by Matt; 10-15-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Another idea... if it is too tall, I can probably cut down the coil spring.

Sal's had his apart a few times, i'll need to see how much extra length there is in the spring to see if thats possible (can't have the spring unseating at full flex)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Option 2 seems to be the way to go IMO. You'll never have an issue with sag or weight pulling anything you would be good all the way around.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    I wouldnt cut down the springs. Id take another approach before id ever do that. Just my .02
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    I wouldnt cut down the springs. Id take another approach before id ever do that. Just my .02
    You know I was talking about cutting down the helper springs that are on the shocks, right? I would never cut down the main suspension coil springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Option 2 seems to be the way to go IMO. You'll never have an issue with sag or weight pulling anything you would be good all the way around.
    Yeah I think this is the way I'm going. There's a few things I can do if the ride is too high with the addition of the F150 levelers. But ill test out the OME HD springs with my oem levelers first to get an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Any reason you wouldn't just go with OME HD springs and the OME shocks (or other brand) in the rear? I would think the load levelers plus their springs (unless MD) might make for a harsh ride.
    2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki. Rocky Road lift in front (w/bilstein struts), Old Man Emu HD springs in rear (w/Old Man Emu shocks), Goodyear Duratrac 265/70's on stock rims, AFE CAI, all mopar skids. 4xguard front guard, belly guard, rock rails, and rear sliders.

Because I want the rear. 5-1" higher than the front. We'll see when the OME springs get here, but I'm betting that my rear will be about 1/2" lower than my front which means ill need to make up for 1-1.5" of height to get it to sit were I want. Note that I'm among the minority.... I don't like it when they sit perfectly level and it absolutely hate when it looks like the rear is sagging.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Because I want the rear. 5-1" higher than the front. We'll see when the OME springs get here, but I'm betting that my rear will be about 1/2" lower than my front which means ill need to make up for 1-1.5" of height to get it to sit were I want. Note that I'm among the minority.... I don't like it when they sit perfectly level and it absolutely hate when it looks like the rear is sagging.
    I'm right there with you. I prefer the stock rake to the leveled look. Just FYI, when I installed my HD springs after removing the rocky road spacers I did not lose any height and it was a big difference in terms of ride quality from the stock springs (in a good way). When I replace my front spacer lift with the OME springs, I thought about doing the leveling spacer in front and cutting my poly spacers to match the extra height in the rear.
    2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki. Rocky Road lift in front (w/bilstein struts), Old Man Emu HD springs in rear (w/Old Man Emu shocks), Goodyear Duratrac 265/70's on stock rims, AFE CAI, all mopar skids. 4xguard front guard, belly guard, rock rails, and rear sliders.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information