Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox 2.0 Pro Resi shock on Superlift

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar

Fox 2.0 Pro Resi shock on Superlift

After blowing out my Superide shocks which I got with the Superlift back in May, I decided I needed something a bit beefier. Matt suggested the Rancho RS19287, an RS9000 Pro Series remote reservoir model. Today, I decided to check the full flex limits (swaybar disconnected) of an XK with the Superlift. With a compressed lenghth of 18.5" and an extended length of 30.5", the following photos show that the RS19287 should be a perfect fit. BTW, I ordered a set after taking the measurements and will post the install photos here also.

There are a couple of shots which show some other problem areas with the Superlift like the rear drive shaft rubbing the fuel tank and some very close tire clearance near the upper spring mount.

31" at full extension...

The compression side...

Max compression

Back on the flexed side, the spring is quite loose...

The brake line is the limiter...

Here is the problem I have been having with the drive shaft boot. I cut off the side of the tank guard because it kept catching on the boot and causing small tears.

And here, another clearance concern. Not touching, but close!

dB
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 10-31-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Add photos
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

A couple more of the coil gap. Would OME HDs fill this in?

'06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Great info man!

I'll measure my OME HD's when i get them, but id expect them to be even shorter than the SL springs..

Another thing you can do is measure what the fully extended length of the shock would be at the point that the coil just becomes loose.... we can go back to the shock specs and try to find one that'd work as a limiter (or, you can use that length to get a set of limiting straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Another thing you can do is measure what the fully extended length of the shock would be at the point that the coil just becomes loose.... we can go back to the shock specs and try to find one that'd work as a limiter (or, you can use that length to get a set of limiting straps.
    I think that would seriously limit the flex. As seen in the photo, that would shorten things by 3 inches! With the SL, there is no chance of the spring falling out like there was with the RR since there is a 4" extender on the centering bumper. The Superrides that I'm replacing were about 27" extended and that gave me less flex than with the old Bilstein 5150s I had on previously. The Rancho's should limit right at the point the brake line gets tight and as long as the head doesn't snap off, like the Bilstein's did, they should be perfect. My only concern is that the diameter of the Rancho's is too large and will interfere with the SL drop bracket on the passenger side (the Superride touches).

That's true that it would limit flex. I guess the only concern there is if the spring re-seats properly... but that can easily be resolved with a floor jack and a few minutes of time.

If the ranch is too big with the reservoir piggybacked, you can probably find a spot to mount it remotely.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    wow...

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Have you looked at the Fox Shocks? I have been running the 11" travel remote reservoirs and I love them! The 12" version might be a good option for you. If I remember correctly they measure 19-31".
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Hey, would you mind posting up some details of your fox shocks in this thread: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ghlight=shocks

Specifically interested in how the mounts worked out

Senior Member Getting Dirty Omelet's Avatar
    Sure!

TrialByFire - How are the wires leading down to the rear diff at full drop? Did you have to extend them? I ask because when I extend mine out to 28" they are just about taunt.
    [05 WK Khaki 4x4 5.7L QDII ][ 5" SL (OME HD coils and struts) ][ 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" Moabs (for the daily grind) ][ 35x12.50R17LT BFG MT KR (for wheeling) ][ Hidden Superwinch in stock bumper][ And soooooo much more... ]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information