Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Road Light Wiring... HELP???

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar

Off Road Light Wiring... HELP???

So I'm thinking about picking up some Hella 500ff's and install them behind the grill like a few guys have done. I think I'll be able to mount them successfully, by using a piece of steel mounted to the radiator support, and then mount the lights to the steel plate. My next problem will be wiring. I've never done any wiring and basically, I have no idea what I need to do. I've looked at a few wiring diagrams, but they don't mean much to me lol. Just looking for some basic 101 info, so I have some idea how to hooks these things up when I order them. Thanks guys.

P.S. Anyone want to make a trip waaaaaayyyyy up to northern NY to do it for me?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Not sure if you need to know but I want to wire the lights to a rocker switch in the cab, I don't want to run them off my headlights or anything like that.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Most light kits will have everything you need, but if you are buying separately you will need the lights, wire, switch AND a resister.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

This is the KIT I'm going to order. It comes with:

2 12V/55W halogen driving beam lamps
    2 white protective stone shields with Hella logo
    2 H3 12V/55W bulbs
    1 complete plug and play wiring harness
    1 illuminated switch
    1 relay
    Universal mounting hardware
    Step-by-step mounting instructions

Will I need anything else?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    looks like that kit will have everything you need. Most important factor is making sure you're running the lights off of the relay and you're using the switch to activate the relay. The instructions should spell it out pretty good.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Don't know if you have the stock fogs installed or not. If you don't have them you can borrow the stock fog light wiring that is sitting under the bumper and lengthen it a little bit. Then find the fuse/relay set that services that wiring and run your own switch so you won't have to spend the extra on the steering column stalk/getting it activated/only being available with the rest of the lights on. That's probably what i'd do. What's for sure is if you start wiring it and run into problems give the forum guys a shout and we'll walk you through it. I just put the 500FFs on mine love em but want to add 2 regular 500 driving to the outside as well.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

I don't have the stock fogs installed at the moment, but I have them sitting here in my living room. I'm installing those, front tow hooks, and hopefully the Hella's next weekend. Just nervous about trying to wire up the Hellas lol.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Does this diagram seem correct? I've seen some that have a 30amp inline fuse between the relay and the battery I believe? Will I need that also?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ItsMeKO3; 10-17-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Fuses never really hurt you can throw one in if you want it won't effect anything can only help if something goes wrong or gets shorted for any reason.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You definitely want a fuse between the battery and relay. Also I always throw a small fusible link with a fast burn 10amp fuse between the switch And its power source... especially if you're running it off an accessory wire under the dash.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information