Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Road Light Wiring... HELP???

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar
    Ok I'll have to pick up an inline fuse before I start the wiring. I've read the instructions from Hella, and they have you wire the lights to the high beam. Instead of using the high beam can I just tap into the parking lights using the wire they want to be used to tie into the highs? This way the aux lights can be run on their own switch, but only when the parking lights are on? I want to do this just in case I leave them on, they'll be turned off with my headlights. Sorry for all the questions guys, I just want to have a good idea of what I'm doing before I try to tackle this.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Normally you want to be able to control the lights independently for all of your factory lights since there are circumstances that you wont Want them on...

The best way, IMO, to prevent accidentally leaving them on is to power the switch via an accessory wire leading to the steering column. That way the switch can't get power when the ignition is off.

Three things to consider though;
    1) warranty. Tapping into the OEM harness has its obvious concerns if you're still under warranty, should you have any electrical issues directly related to that harness.

2) I would put a fuse there so you don't blow the entire circuits fuse is something shorts. (Hence a 10amp quick burn fuse).

3) I wire my switches from a constant 12v source. I don't like the idea of leaving my keys in the ignition while I'm using the lights and I'm not in the Jeep (say helping someone on the side of the road at night.... then someone could hop in the Jeep And drive off while I'm changing someones tire...)

Here is another diagram I've found, this one seems to be the one I need to follow??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kc_wiring.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	963

My question about this one is what is the white supply wire from the switch going to the "Hi Low Ign" going to? Is this the wire I need to tie into a 12v source? Some guys say they use the cigarette lighter...?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

^^ Read some more about that. By tapping into the cigarette lighter, you must have keys in the ignition to run the lights? Which is what you said you didn't like Matt because someone could steal your Jeep. So where should I tie into? Again, forgive me for all the questions, I really don't know much about wiring so I'm trying to get it right before I start.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

I think one of the cigarette lighters is constant 12v even when the car is off..... that would be the easiest one to use.

Fyi That most recent diagram is the better one to use.

The white wire, input to the switch, is the one we're discussing now. The constant powered outlet would be the one id use so you don't have to leave keys in the ignition to use the lights. (Sorry I didn't think of that sooner... I'm not used to having a vehicle with a cig lighter that's always powered)

Alright, how can I tell which has the constant power? Just plug something like my gps into both with the jeep off and one will still have power?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Yup. And I think the one with constant power has a battery symbol on the cover

Awesome. Thanks a ton Matt. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. If not, I'll be back here with some more questions lol.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

That's what we're here for.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information