Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Road Light Wiring... HELP???

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    on mine there is 2 connections for the cig lighter. The one on the drivers side is controlled via the key, the other one (passenger side) is a constant.

Hope this helps
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar
    Thanks, looks like I'll be tapping into the one on the passenger side then... correct? Also, as far as the inline fuses, the diagram I'm going off shows 20 amp between the battery and relay, and a 3 amp between the switch and the 12v. Are these sufficient?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah those fuse sizes are good.

This may be a dumb question but I just want to be safe. By tapping into the cigarette lighter that has the constant power to it, I'll be able to run my lights without the keys in the ignition? So if I happen to forget to turn them off, they will just stay on, and not turn off with the Jeep correct? Now since they are connected to a constant source, even with them off, will there be a drain on the battery?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Yes, if you leave them on they will stay on. If you leave them on they will also drain the battery if the vehicle is not running. If they're off, they will not drain the battery. They only pull current when turned on.

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    I am surprised yours didn't come with an in-line fuse. The lights I got from Westin had the grounds, relay, and in-line fuse ready to go. I just had to hook them to the lights, plug in the relay, hook it to the battery, ground it and plug in the switch.

I have a similar situation with wiring my driving lights as you. I've done everything except for wiring up the switch because I'm fabbing up a switch plate. The difference is the switch I am going to use has a blue LED ring around the button so I have to wire it to the cig lighter/power outlet on the left side or the switch will always be illuminated.

Maybe my set has the inline fuse...? It wasn't listed but it should be here wed. If not I'll just pick one up. The switch I'm going to use also has a small blue led. So if I wire my lights to the cig lighter that has the constant power, will the led always be on? Or only when the switch is in the on position?
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

The LED will only be on when the switch is on (for almost ever switch ive seen/used anyways)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Thats what I have is switches with lights in them no way I can not notice there on. Also the situations you should be using your off road lights there should be no way you can't tell there running as well. I installed a second battery though so I wouldn't have to worry about things like that just a little peace of mind.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Just FYI, The Hella kit comes with 2 inline buses style fuse holders, and a 30A relay with mount pad already wired up. Also comes with a switch and some crimp lugs. Good luck.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information