Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Off Road Light Wiring... HELP???

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Senior Member Getting Dirty ItsMeKO3's Avatar
    Well hopefully the kit will have everything I need.

Matt I remember seeing that thread on JF a while back. That is crazy. If I can't figure it out, looks like I might have to make a trip down to NJ lol
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Senior Member Getting Dirty DetroitMarauder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 View Post
    Maybe my set has the inline fuse...? It wasn't listed but it should be here wed. If not I'll just pick one up. The switch I'm going to use also has a small blue led. So if I wire my lights to the cig lighter that has the constant power, will the led always be on? Or only when the switch is in the on position?
    Yeah, what Matt said. Because mine will have a blue ring around it while it is on or off is why I have to wire it to the different outlet which means I will need the key in to turn the lights on but I can't think of why I wouldn't have my keys on me while in my truck.

You'll know when you get it if it has the inline fuse or not. It is a pretty straight forward install so you shouldn't have much of a problem. Good luck and post pics when you're done.

So I was bored tonight and tried to get a little head start on hooking up my lights before tomorrow. I installed the switch where I wanted it to go, ran the ground for that, tapped into the cigarette lighter, and ran the wire back to the switch from that. Now a couple questions already lol. There were 2 wires going into the back of the cigarette lighter, one was like half red and half blue, and the other was black. I took a guess that the black was a ground...? And I tapped into the other blue/red wire. Was I right? Also, I know I haven't gotten very far yet, but just based on the couple steps I've done, and if I tapped into the correct wire from the lighter, will the switch light up when flipped on even tho the relay and lights aren't hooked up yet? I hope the answer is no... because it doesn't lol.
    Last edited by ItsMeKO3; 10-21-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Do you have a voltmeter? You made a good guess, but i always like to check. Worst case here though is you just don't get any power....

If you don't have a voltmeter or a test light, you can look at where the wires attach to the cigarette lighter. The very bottom is the hot (power) and the body is ground. You should be able to tell which wire is which.

As long as you have the switch wired up correctly and grounded, it will light up when you turn it on. But make sure the hot lead wire is capped.. you don't want that wire/lead grounded or you'll short it.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    But make sure the hot lead wire is capped.. you don't want that wire/lead grounded or you'll short it.
    I did this by accident, the switch still works but the bulb in the switch is no longer functional, a replacement is not high on my list since the switch still works.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    But make sure the hot lead wire is capped.. you don't want that wire/lead grounded or you'll short it.
    I did this by accident, the switch still works but the bulb in the switch is no longer functional, a replacement is not high on my list since the switch still works.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    What about the third wire on the switch? There should be three posts on a switch with a light built in. Two of them are the routing for the power and the third is an accessory (which means the light) which needs an extra 12 volt source/ground depending on how you wire the switch. My switch inside is only a 12v wire that is interrupted by the switch. The relay connects directly to a ground under my hood and then my interior switch runs from a 12v source through the switch and out to the relay. so my switch doesn't actually have a ground attached to it.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Every lighted 3 wire switch i've ever hooked up has had 3 posts:
    1: Power Supply (12v)
    2: Ground
    3: Auxiliary Power (output)

The power supply is your 12V source. Ground is self explanatory. Aux power is the output to the relay.

My switch does have the third prong, which will go to the yellow wire on the Hella harness, which then plugs into the #86 plug on the relay... and I believe its the trigger..? I don't know much about wiring, but the way I have it set up so far, the light doesn't light up on the switch. Hopefully its because the relay and the rest isn't wired up? But I really have no clue lol.
    2005 WK - MY GARAGE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information