Thread: Stone Mountain GA

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Stone Mountain GA

I went to stone mountain this weekend for the highland games it was a pretty good time the old man and I spent two days drunk LMAO. It was a little pricey for a highland games $17 to get in the games $10 to get in the park or mountain for comparison the games in Chicago were $15 and free parking. I got 13MPG going there a 6 hour drive but a 25MPH head wind the whole freaking way there coming home I got 15MPG little to no wind the XK did great had 6 people along for the drive but I think for 6 people 6 hours is about the max for the XK. I'm actually writing this to do kinda of a review of the place or rant I guess. We stayed at the Marriott in side the park and our room was $200 night for just 2 double beds so the price is approaching the higher end of hotels I guess. There star rating I believe was a 3 or 4 I think and the room prices were about right for 4 I did get a military discount so $200 for one of the cheapest rooms they had with my discount was getting up there. I've stayed at more expensive hotels all the time I usually pay about $350 a night so I kinda know what to expect from these hotels and this one did not deliver at all. The only 3 star service I got was the price LOL. First the door men were awesome and helpful and those guys I tipped well. The rest of the hotel staff was either rude or clueless and went out of there way not to help you. We got charged for every little thing and I commented to my wife I think there charging us for the air were breathing too. The TV was horrible and the picture was fuzzy and if the three channels didn't have something they were happy to charge you to watch the other channels WTF. The internet they had wifi and Ethernet available but of course only at a hefty fee which I refused to pay. There was nothing and I mean nothing for free in fact we had to pay to get in the park to get to our hotel which I found odd as well. No free coffee anywhere in sight and know muffins or anything either and trust me lots of 3 star hotels have all that stuff for free or at least some of it in all the other ones I've stayed in. The food oh my god it was disgusting to be kind. Now the $15 price on the cheese burger didn't shock me I expected that at a place like this what I didn't expect was for it to suck and my kid actually had the runs after eating there. The pizza we ordered was pretty good but we wen't in the sports bar to order it to have it in the pool area were the hole family was and argued with me that's room services job not ours, REALLY bro the manager had to jump in and say no problem we'll get that to you. Then a cop and hotel manager showed up asking about broken glass and there was no glass anywhere to seen we didn't have any and of course they were rude about it LOL. So if you go stay out side the park or try one of the other places to stay there and don't eat at the golf course restaurant. The park it self was gorgeous but cops were ticketing people for going 3MPH over the speed limit I can't make this stuff up for real. They had a lot of interesting stuff to do but I recommend saving your money and going somewhere else for sure. We only wait for the games we had family playing in the pipe band competition oh and they took third in there grade so not to bad.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Atlanta is expensive and full of money. I've lived in Ga most of my life and can't stand atlanta. I do like the stone mountain park however especially for the nightly laser show.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Yea the park was nice but we won't be staying at the Marriott if we go back next year.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty
    I lived in Georgia for six or seven years. I stayed mostly in the suburbs of Kennesaw (North West Atlanta) but I had family who lived in Marrietta, Smyrna, Acworth, downtown Atlanta, and Buckhead (basically atlanta's version of Wallstreet). I'm not particularly a big city type guy. But I really liked it, always something to do. Atlanta folks aren't as weird as random with topics of conversation that NYC people are. It has it's own spice. If I had to live in a major city it would be Atlanta or Boston. Only thing I couldn't stand about Atlanta were the summer scorchers. 100% humidity, 100+ farenheit, and the smog.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sal, it sounds as though you had a great time ! LOL !! I hate those hotels like that. We went to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg. The room was expensive, over $350 per night, 2 doubles with a queen up in a loft. You pay that much and then have to pay $7 per day extra for internet. The drink machines were like $3 for a Coke. You can stay at a Super 8 and get free Wifi , WTF ?
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Thread Information